Old June 30th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Parking in Lambeth

Peter Smyth wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 29 Jun 2005:

In other words you have been given a couple of tickets and are now whinging
because you used to be able to park wherever you liked.

You obviously don't live in Lambeth! We've even been issued a ticket
when we had paid for the parking - although, to be fair, I think that
was in Wandsworth.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 30th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

tim (moved to sweden) wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 30 Jun 2005:

I agree. All it takes is late evening and sunday working. In all of the
places that I have lived in an around London it is normal to find double
yellows treated like they are there at these times of the week. I could
ticket 50 cars in as long as it takes to write them on a Sunday.

In many areas, it is perfectly legal to park on double yellow lines in
the late evening and on a Sunday. And if it isn't, you can be *very*
sure that tickets will be issued!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 30th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Smyth wrote:

you can't make this
stuff up, it's all been reported in the local newspapers. For every
extreme example their are thousands of others.

I don't even believe what is printed in Nationals let alone Locals. I
learnt from an early age that just because it say it in the paper it
doesn't mean it must be true!

Where I live, and in other areas I know, illegal parking by a small
minority is a severe problem that costs thousands of people increased
delays and causes great danger to pedestrians and cyclists.

Roll on better enforcement of traffic laws for all classes of road users.

Jim Chisholm
Old June 30th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
tim (moved to sweden) wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 30 Jun 2005:

I agree. All it takes is late evening and sunday working. In all of the
places that I have lived in an around London it is normal to find double
yellows treated like they are there at these times of the week. I could
ticket 50 cars in as long as it takes to write them on a Sunday.

In many areas, it is perfectly legal to park on double yellow lines in
the late evening and on a Sunday. And if it isn't, you can be *very*
sure that tickets will be issued!

Not correct
I believe the new regs only allow double yellows to be used where 'No
waiting at any time' restrictiona apply.
See HC

Jim Chisholm

Old June 30th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 30 Jun 2005:

In article ,
(Mrs Redboots) wrote:

In many areas, it is perfectly legal to park on double yellow lines in
the late evening and on a Sunday. And if it isn't, you can be *very*
sure that tickets will be issued!

Not any more. Double yellow lines only mean "No Waiting at any time" now.

Is that so? Then what, please, is the point of the "Red routes" where
double red lines mean no stopping/waiting at any time?

Of course, if more *legal* parking places existed, people would be less
inclined to park illegally! Okay, we don't have to own a car, but they
can come in useful on occasions.....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 30th 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
J. Chisholm typed:

Mrs Redboots wrote:

In many areas, it is perfectly legal to park on double yellow lines
in the late evening and on a Sunday.

Not correct
I believe the new regs only allow double yellows to be used where 'No
waiting at any time' restrictiona apply.
See HC

Not quite correct. There can be posted 'seasonal exceptions'.
See HC

--
Bob

Old June 30th 05, 03:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 30 Jun 2005:

Is that so? Then what, please, is the point of the "Red routes" where
double red lines mean no stopping/waiting at any time?

I've long wondered that but then I don't live in London so we don't have
them at all. Seriously, isn't it the difference between waiting and
stopping?

Although on red routes they provide spaces where you can stop for 20
minutes and/or load or unload and/or be a disabled driver. They also
have pelican crossings every 50 yards or so. This is supposed to make
the traffic flow more easily, but I can't see it, myself.... although,
to be fair, Streatham High Road is, normally, better than it used to be
now they have made it 2 lanes instead of 3, the 3rd lane being parking
or bus stops or even, occasionally, bus lanes.

Of course, if more *legal* parking places existed, people would be less
inclined to park illegally! Okay, we don't have to own a car, but they
can come in useful on occasions.....

There are too many cars.

I agree, but who is going to do without one? Even we have one, although
we don't use it very much in London. And I should hate *not* to have
it!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old June 30th 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
Not any more. Double yellow lines only mean "No Waiting at any
time" now.

Surely double (or single) yellow lines refer to parking, but allow
'Twas so when I passed my test but I may be showing my age.

Red routes AIUI prohibit stopping for any reason.

--
Tony Bryer