Old July 6th 05, 10:52 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Olympic Announcement 'Event'

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:48:50 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

I certainly agree that the London bid has given more thought to long
term use than those Olympics that have resulted in concrete
monstrosities that saw little or no use after the games ended.

Possibly from the Manchester example. The City of Manchester stadium,
for one, is now used for football and live music, while the Manchester
Aquatics Centre (which I tended to "lovingly" know as Oxford Road
Baths) still seems very much in use, though admittedly it is looking a
bit tatty now with a number of boarded windows.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Old July 7th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:52:51 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , James Farrar
writes

The Dome had two possible purposes, between which the government
compromised, leading to something pointless. The purpose of sporting
facilities is self-defined.

As in "Pickett's Lock" ?

Pickett's Lock fell victim to the wrangling over athletics at
Wembley...

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old July 7th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 6 Jul 2005:

If the Dome is so good for indoor sport, why is it not already being
used for that purpose?

It's going to be; they are hoping for a permanent ice rink there, and to
host the 2008 World Championships.

Whatever happened to our "National Sports Centre" at Crystal Palace?

It's still there, but badly in need of refurbishment/replacement.

As a former teacher (one who taught sport in earlier days) I would
rather see the money being used to restore all of the swimming pools,
ice rinks and school sports facilities that have been lost or sold off in
London over the last 30 years, than being expended on a publicity stunt
that will be as short-lived as a glorious firework display.

Only one ice rink, as far as I know - and the sooner they bring that
back, the better.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old July 7th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes

Only one ice rink, as far as I know - and the sooner they bring that
back, the better.

Not much chance of Richmond being brought back, I would have thought -
I've lived here most of my life and seen endless plans to have the rink
rebuilt, but none have come to anything.

But I'm sure other rinks have closed. Weren't there rinks at Haringey,
Alexandra Palace, and Wembley - and (some time ago) Golder's Green? And
I'm sure there was one somewhere in SE London where I went as a
schoolboy ... Lewisham or Catford, perhaps - I don't thinkl we went as
far as Streatham.
--
Paul Terry
Old July 7th 05, 04:01 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 7 Jul 2005:

In message , Mrs
Redboots writes

Only one ice rink, as far as I know - and the sooner they bring that
back, the better.

Not much chance of Richmond being brought back, I would have
thought - I've lived here most of my life and seen endless plans to have
the rink rebuilt, but none have come to anything.

Doesn't stop people still campaigning!

But I'm sure other rinks have closed. Weren't there rinks at Haringey,
Alexandra Palace, and Wembley - and (some time ago) Golder's Green?
And I'm sure there was one somewhere in SE London where I went as a
schoolboy ... Lewisham or Catford, perhaps - I don't thinkl we went as
far as Streatham.

There still is a rink at Alexandra Palace - I was skating there just
last night. Don't know about the other rinks, though, not heard of
them.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/