Old July 15th 05, 07:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube staff experiences on 07/07

An internal site has been added to the internal web on LUL which has
the experiences of tube staff on that fateful morning. It includes what
the first people to the trains found - some of it is pretty hard to
read. I am unsure if i should post them here but i'm sure it is of
interest. Any other thoughts from Tube Staff....Paul C??

Downunder.

Old July 15th 05, 08:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Jul 2005 00:49:43 -0700, "downunder" wrote:

An internal site has been added to the internal web on LUL which has
the experiences of tube staff on that fateful morning. It includes what
the first people to the trains found - some of it is pretty hard to
read. I am unsure if i should post them here but i'm sure it is of
interest. Any other thoughts from Tube Staff....Paul C??

In general, if stuff is on an internal website and inaccessible to the
outside world then it's probably like that for a reason. At the very
least I'd check that it's ok with the authors before posting any of
the material on the Internet.
Old July 15th 05, 09:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Anyone know what happened to the driver of the picc line train?
He's not been mentioned at all in the news and the blast was in
the front carriage.

B2003

Old July 15th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Anyone know what happened to the driver of the picc line train?
He's not been mentioned at all in the news and the blast was in
the front carriage.

In fact there have been several reports of his actions in leading
passengers from the first car along the track to Russell Square. See
the thread "Tube Drivers Involved in Bombing" from 9 July.
--
Richard J.

Old July 15th 05, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Yes I know........ He was fine and became a hero. He walked out a
number of people within the first few minutes towards Russel Square and
returned a number of times to the train. He (and his passengers) must
have experienced hell within those minutes assessing and understanding
what had happened.

Boltar..... you lost me with your 'pussies' comment regarding bus
drivers. It was out of order and you need to realise that.

Downunder.

Old July 15th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Boltar writes
Anyone know what happened to the driver of the picc line train?
He's not been mentioned at all in the news and the blast was in
the front carriage.

He's fine so was the other driver who was with him (who happened to be
riding on the cushions to Acton), helped people out of the first car of
the train to Russell Square and is at home now having a well earned
rest.
Old July 15th 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar..... you lost me with your 'pussies' comment regarding bus
drivers. It was out of order and you need to realise that.

Perhaps. But it left a nasty taste in the mouth when myself and
hundreds (even thousands) of others were trying to get home and
the bus drivers first response is to scarper. Anyway , I've said
enough on that topic.

B2003

Old July 15th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I wonder just how far Boltar`s knowledge of how the Bus System performed in
the immediate aftermath of the Bombings is based on his own geoghraphical
location and then by hearsay ?
The initial reports which continued for several hours constantly mentioned
THREE bus bombs.
As a Busdriver myself I know that Communications between Controllers and
Drivers is what defines the service level.
The use of the word "Scarper" appears to indicate a belief that Drivers went
home with their vehicles or abandoned them on the side of the road.
I would have imagined that Drivers were INSTRUCTED to go Out of Service in
anticipation of further bombers attempting to board.
In a City the size of London this instruction may well have taken time to
diseminate from CentreComm.
I would imagine that upon mature reflection Boltar might see his original
posting as perhaps a tad to tabloidish for the more erudite readers of these
groups.
Instead he could perhaps contact TfL and enquire as to what instructions
were given to the Bus Drivers in the immediate aftermath.
Today in a few hours I shall be taking capacity loads of Muslim worshippers
from outside of our largest Mosque after Friday Prayers.
Many of the congregation fit the visual profile of the London Bombers to a
T,even down to the carrying of backpacks and shoulder bags.
If I behave as Boltar suggests Then I will simply stay away from work or
pass the milling throng by in Out Of Service mode.
I plan to do neither of these things but to carry on in my normal manner and
transport the passengers as normal.
There are far worse things in this life than a "Nasty Taste" but thats
exactly what Boltar`s somewhat insular opinion of the immediate aftermath of
July 7th is leaving in many London Bus Users mouths.

Old July 15th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Jul 2005 00:49:43 -0700, "downunder" wrote:

An internal site has been added to the internal web on LUL which has
the experiences of tube staff on that fateful morning. It includes what
the first people to the trains found - some of it is pretty hard to
read. I am unsure if i should post them here but i'm sure it is of
interest. Any other thoughts from Tube Staff....Paul C??

Having had a little read this morning of two or three of the items
posted I have to say I found it both tough to deal with and hugely
impressive.

My own view is that it should remain private. Sorry if that disappoints
anybody but we all choose to be here and what to say - the people who
volunteered their thoughts to a private LU site should be allowed to
keep their thoughts there.

As this group is available world wide I would hate to think that the
names of LU staff were leaked into the "open" with goodness knows what
risk of the media - and believe me they do read these groups - then
trying to get to the people concerned.
--
Paul C

Old July 15th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I too have noted the remarks from Boltar about the bus drivers and the
loss of bus services. While I understand his exasperation that some of
London was left without bus services and what *might* have happened to
vulnerable people in such a situation there is no evidence thus far that
any great inconvenience or distress was actually caused once people knew
what had happened and listened to police advice.

At lunchtime I got the 391 from Richmond to Chiswick - naively I didn't
think buses that far out would be affected, but in fact huge numbers of
people (commuters and tourists) were leaving London by SWT from Waterloo
to Richmond and then hoping to get services such as the 190 to
Hammersmith (and thence on to Ealing, etc) or the 391 to Kensington.

Every service was grossly over-crowded, but there was (on my bus at
least) a great spirit of bon-homie as we helped give up seats for the
those that needed them and as we all crashed into each other on every
sharp corner. We all helped find the best possible seat for one poor old
lady who was feeling feint, and an American with far too much luggage
kindly improvised perching benches from his more obstructive suitcases.

I do not know and have not seen anything that says what happened next by
way of bus services in Greater London. Were buses taken off London wide?

No, out here in Putney/Barnes/Richmond services continued throughout the
day, AFAIR.

--
Paul Terry