Old July 21st 05, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace.

Tony Raven wrote:
Colin wrote:

What says you all?

I say, as I've said many times before, use http://www.cyclemaps.com *.
It may not be perfect (I believe it started from the same TfL database)
but the last time someone pointed out the use of a helicopter the guy
went out that weekend and sorted it, as he has other mapping errors I've
found. In the end though there is no substitute from the knowledge
built up from experience.

Cyclemaps suggests I go through Pentonville Prison on my way to
work, which is amusing, but the map shows a correct route.

TFL comes up with a route that avoids King's Cross, and gets
the journey time spot on at 17 minutes. However it suggests
going through Euston station gardens, which might prove difficult.

Old July 21st 05, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Neil Williams ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

I'd say that cycle routes are very subjective as there are many
factors that can make them good or bad to any given individual
cyclist, and as such they're best planned with a map and experience.

I think it's fairly reasonable for them to set the software to exclude the
A40(M) from a cycling route, though...
Old July 21st 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Jeremy Collins ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me
from Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take
me along the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that
stretch of moterway on my bicycle before

Is that legal? I live near the A1(M) and certainly wouldn't cycle on
it

Y'know, I was always under the impression that the Highway Code applied to
cyclists, and that they were meant to *read* it occasionally...?

shrug
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#227

Would you like to hazard a guess as to what the (M) stands for?
Old July 21st 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Colin wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:31:05 -0700, MartinM wrote:

you can't absail (or even abseil) _up_ , you have to prusik ;-)

I suspected that absailing was a one-way persuit ;-)

but ITYF there is a cycleable route between the two involving neither
of the above, done it myself ( a while ago though)

Over the railway line? I work in Bard Road, know, or thought I knew, the
Westway Sports Centre area, and can think of nothing that goes over the
railway line at that point.

Can you remember any clues?

I think there is a bridge under by the scrapyard right under the road
interchange. Hardly very salubrious but nicer than Shepherd's Bush

Old July 21st 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Jeremy Collins wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:57:32 +0100, Colin wrote:

It has some flaws though. When trying to plan a route to take me from
Bard Road, W10 to Bowes Road, W3, the route suggested would take me along
the A40(M) - not a problem in itself, I've, err, done that stretch of
moterway on my bicycle before

Is that legal? I live near the A1(M) and certainly wouldn't cycle on it
(although I have had to ride on the A1 a couple of times).

the A40 has been declassified on the Westway, no longer a motorway,
though there may still be a cycling ban, will check tomorrow.

Old July 21st 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Tony W wrote:
The future of transport in cities is clear :~)

That reminds me, did anyone see the excellent piece by Polly Toynbee in
yesterday's Grauniad?

"Let the Olympics make London a bikes-first city "
url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1532002,00.html

url:http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,,1533000,00.html

d.

Old July 21st 05, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:

Y'know, I was always under the impression that the Highway Code applied to
cyclists, and that they were meant to *read* it occasionally...?

shrug
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#227

Would you like to hazard a guess as to what the (M) stands for?

I guess the question is how many times have you seen someone cycling on
a motorway (Kenyan team at the Manchester Commonwealth Games excluded)
versus how many times have I seen cars and motorbikes driven on
bridleways? Bet my number is bigger than yours.

--
Tony

Anon
Old July 21st 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Tony Raven ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I guess the question is how many times have you seen someone cycling
on a motorway (Kenyan team at the Manchester Commonwealth Games
excluded) versus how many times have I seen cars and motorbikes driven
on bridleways? Bet my number is bigger than yours.

Are we back to trying to figure out how many wrongs make a right?

People driving cars and riding motorbikes over RoW without a vehicular
right of way are in the wrong. Simple as that. They should not be there.

However, don't forget that some Bridleways are BOATs, though, and that
vehicles don't need an explicit RoW if they have the landowner's
permission.

Most people cycling on Footpaths are in the wrong, too.
Old July 21st 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On 21 Jul 2005 02:38:58 -0700 someone who may be "MartinM"
wrote this:-

the A40 has been declassified on the Westway, no longer a motorway,

Indeed. According to uk.transport this was part of an anti-motorist
plan by Ken Livingstone. All the little bits of motorway in London
(parts of the plans to destroy London with motorways that were never
carried out) which the road lobby were hoping would eventually be
linked up have been "declassified".

It would be nice to think that they would soon start removing these
roads, but in reality Mr Livingstone wants to build more motorways,
as the so-called Thames Gateway Bridge clearly illustrates.

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/page.php?pageid=425
http://www.transport2000.org.uk/camp...afficBrief.htm
and
http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/press_..._19082004.html
present an alternative view of this folly to Mr Livingstone's.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.