Old August 16th 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Putney River Taxi

Walking past Putney Pier at lunchtime today, I saw some publicity for a
new commuter service along the Thames between Putney and Blackfriars:

http://www.thamesexecutivecharters.com/rivertaxi.html

Quite good timings, given that there are three intermediate stops
(including a five-minute wait at Chelsea) but not cheap (although bikes
are carried free!).

--
Paul Terry

Old August 16th 05, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
Walking past Putney Pier at lunchtime today, I saw some publicity for a
new commuter service along the Thames between Putney and Blackfriars:

http://www.thamesexecutivecharters.com/rivertaxi.html

Quite good timings, given that there are three intermediate stops
(including a five-minute wait at Chelsea) but not cheap (although bikes
are carried free!).

--
Paul Terry

That's a great alternative to the train/tube and round about the same
journey time.

The price will put commuters off even in moneyed Putney.

But when the trains are up the spout or on a nice summers day, it's a
possibility.

A.

Old August 17th 05, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
Walking past Putney Pier at lunchtime today, I saw some publicity for a
new commuter service along the Thames between Putney and Blackfriars:

http://www.thamesexecutivecharters.com/rivertaxi.html

Quite good timings, given that there are three intermediate stops
(including a five-minute wait at Chelsea) but not cheap (although bikes
are carried free!).

Good to see them making use of the river, but if you had a bike, why
would you want to pay 6 quid for a one-way service that's slower than
cycling it?
Old August 17th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

chris harrison wrote:
Paul Terry wrote:
Walking past Putney Pier at lunchtime today, I saw some publicity
for a new commuter service along the Thames between Putney and
Blackfriars:

http://www.thamesexecutivecharters.com/rivertaxi.html

Quite good timings, given that there are three intermediate stops
(including a five-minute wait at Chelsea) but not cheap (although
bikes are carried free!).

Good to see them making use of the river, but if you had a bike, why
would you want to pay 6 quid for a one-way service that's slower
than cycling it?

I can think of at least five:
- Not wanting to arrive at work needing a shower
- Not needing to take cycle to work (if storage facilities are
inadequate)
- Not being fit enough to cycle 15 miles in a day
- Perceived safety risk to cyclists on London's roads
- Being able to read/write/phone on the river journey

£6 may be worth paying if you live nearer to Putney Pier than the local
railway stations, or find it a less hassle-ridden journey than SWT or
LU in the rush hour.
--
Richard J.

Old August 18th 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

For a return journey, it's still double the price of the tube though.

And its not turn up and go. You have to be there on time every time.

As I said before. For the odd occasion it's nice. But for an everyday
commute maybe not.

Old August 19th 05, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:

Walking past Putney Pier at lunchtime today, I saw some publicity for a
new commuter service along the Thames between Putney and Blackfriars:

http://www.thamesexecutivecharters.com/rivertaxi.html

There's also a new service from Woolwich to the centre of town run by
Thames Clippers. I've not yet used it, but the vessels look like scaled
down versions of the superb Hurricane Clipper, which, incidentally, has
to be the finest piece of public passenger transport vehicle in London.

U n d e r a c h i e v e r (and proud)

Old August 19th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , U n d e r
a c h i e v e r writes
I've not yet used it, but the vessels look like scaled down versions of
the superb Hurricane Clipper, which, incidentally, has to be the finest
piece of public passenger transport vehicle in London.

Cue discussion on pros and cons of the Routemaster....... :-)

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old August 19th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"U n d e r a c h i e v e r" wrote in message
om...

the superb Hurricane Clipper, which,
incidentally, has to be the finest piece of
public passenger transport vehicle in London.

Where and when can I ride this beast?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 19th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Its usually on the Tate to Tate route, but it usually does the Savoy to
Greenwich route a couple of times. Checkout times marked with an h on
the timetable

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/river/timetables.shtml#savoy

Rob

Putney-Vauxhall via Kingston Neillw001 London Transport 0 May 10th 05 11:27 AM
Putney Brimstone London Transport 4 May 7th 05 05:57 AM
parking in putney stuvee02 London Transport 5 June 16th 04 06:51 AM
South West Trains over District Line south of East Putney Martin J London Transport 2 February 17th 04 06:40 AM
Enfield to Putney - which route? AstraVanMan London Transport 28 September 16th 03 01:03 AM