Old September 9th 05, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't Use the Tube

These sort of things make me laugh.

Strangely enough it doesn't mention Leicester Sq so I assume that that
station is equally overcrowded and can't cope. Perhaps Ken could
introduce a congestion charge or even pay for escalators.

Kevin

Old September 9th 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
These sort of things make me laugh.

Strangely enough it doesn't mention Leicester Sq so I assume that that
station is equally overcrowded and can't cope. Perhaps Ken could
introduce a congestion charge or even pay for escalators.

You'd make yourself look less of a prat if you had bothered to read the
article and to understand it.

Old September 9th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
These sort of things make me laugh.

Strangely enough it doesn't mention Leicester Sq so I assume that that
station is equally overcrowded and can't cope. Perhaps Ken could
introduce a congestion charge or even pay for escalators.

You'd make yourself look less of a prat if you had bothered to read the
article and to understand it.

Ok my understanding is that TfL are encouraging passngers not to use
Covent Garden tube at the weekend due to overcrowding.
Covent Garden is the busiest tube station that is exclusively served by
lifts.
TfL are encouraging passengers to use Charing Cross, Embankment and
Holburn (but strangely not Leicester Sq).

The opening paragraph states "Transport chiefs are urging people to
reduce congestion at Covent Garden Tube station by using other forms of
travel".

Is my understanding ok, what have I not understood?

Kevin

Old September 9th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
[...]

If your level of understanding is such why does the story make you laugh?

Old September 9th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would imagine he's laughing at the irony of London Underground (sic:
that's what the news story says) saying "don't use one of our own stations
at busy times" - although, I agree it's for very good reasons. Really it's
admission that the Covent Garden market area is so popular that the
out-of-date lifts (as opposed to escalators) in the station can't cope.

Leicester Square is probably the closest station to Covent Garden market
after CG station itself, so the fact that it's not mentioned suggests that
it is also very busy, though it has escalators rather than lifts, IIRC, so
at least it can handle the number of people better. Don't give Ken ideas
about financial penalties to discourage people-congestion at busy stations
;-)

The ideal solution would be escalators. I presume the fact that the lifts
have survived so long is an indication that the site isn't suited to the
extra horizontal space required for escalators and that conversion would be
seriously costly in terms of the building/tunnelling work involved.

Old September 9th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in message
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's my understanding also, the surface building would need to be located
elsewhere in the vicinity.

Old September 9th 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:

The ideal solution

would be to rename Leicester Sq Covent Garden and Covent Garden Ripoff
Central.

M.

Old September 9th 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message

The ideal solution would be escalators. I presume the
fact that the lifts have survived so long is an indication
that the site isn't suited to the extra horizontal space
required for escalators

Covent Garden was so quiet in the 1930s that it was considered for closure
at the same time as York Road and Brompton Road. It only became busy since
the 1970s or 1980s, by which time there had been no lift-escalator
conversions on the Underground for decades. The only subsequent
escalator-lift conversions have been part of bigger projects, such as
getting rid of the narrow platform at Angel, which is one of the stations
with the highest proportion of blind users.

and that conversion would be seriously costly
in terms of the building/tunnelling work involved.

Yes, I think money is the issue rather than any unique properties of this
site.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 9th 05, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
[...]

So why shouldn't that make me laugh. Do we need to get the permission
of the Newsgroup police to find soemthing amusing now.
No comment then on a situation where passengers are being expected not
to use the closest public transport due to, well erh, congestion.
Really inspires confidence that we have the Olympics in 7 years time.

Kevin

Old September 9th 05, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Given that it's a simple request to avoid a particular station that has
restricted capacity and offers some alternatives I'm trying to work out how
it makes the "joke of the week" list, or may be you're one of these loons
who laughs at everything?

Do we need to get the permission
of the Newsgroup police to find soemthing amusing now.

So you are paranoid as well as finding everything amusing, an interesting
combination.

No comment then on a situation where passengers are being expected not
to use the closest public transport due to, well erh, congestion.

If you drive a car and hear a radio report saying that a particular area is
congested do you also find that amusing or do you find another route?
Presumably you would also find it amusing if the station became so
overcrowded that people got hurt?

Really inspires confidence that we have the Olympics in 7 years time.

Absolutetly, it shows that the people responsibler are taking note of
problems and doing something about it, beyond killing themselves laughing at
other people's discomfort..