Old September 25th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line update

John Rowland wrote:
Oh! So the Selhurst depot is no longer part of the plan. I wonder why the change? Is this because the planned frequency has dropped from 18tph to

12tph, so the depot requirement has shrunk?

TheOneKEA wrote:
I also wonder at the closure of New Cross Depot - if Wapping and
Rotherhithe are to remain open for Phase 1, New Cross is well suited
for maintaining the stock that could be used for the 'short train'
service for these two stations.

In this way you could run a Dalston-New Cross service using the
four-car 'short train' stock and the normal Dalston-Croydon services
using normal-length trains that skip the two stations on either side of
the tunnel.

Andrew Shepherd of Parsons Brinckerhoff spoke of stabling sidings north
of New Cross Gate and did not refer to a depot. Four coach trains will
be the normal formation on the line. IIRC it is not only Rotherhithe
and Wapping affected by short platforms - isn't Canada Water also short
and on a gradient?

Old September 25th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Robinson wrote:

Andrew Shepherd of Parsons Brinckerhoff spoke of stabling sidings north
of New Cross Gate and did not refer to a depot.

But he did say that New Cross LUL Depot will be closed. I was merely
stating that it could be kept open and used to maintain stock used for
serving the short stations.

Four coach trains will be the normal formation on the line.

Say what? I thought the 458s or 365s were headed for the ELLX; are the
four-car formations of either short enough to fit in Wapping and
Rotherhithe?

IIRC it is not only Rotherhithe
and Wapping affected by short platforms - isn't Canada Water also short
and on a gradient?

Indeed. I believe it had to get especial HMRI approval, including lots
of interesting signalling to trip rolling trains.

Old September 25th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Barry Salter wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:33:37 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

the "Rolling Stock Prequalification Briefing Document" specifies a
minimum of 18 EMUs, no more than 83 metres over couplers (IOW, no more
than 4x20m vehicles per unit)

So is the plan at the moment to run the extended ELL with 4-car trains
throughout forever? How many of the stations are capable of taking 6- or
8-car trains? Or being converted to do so? Is it just Rotherhithe, Wapping
and Surrey Keys that are problematic? Will the new stations be built with
(room for) 8-car platforms? Anyone got any idea? I fear a repeat of the
2-car DLR fiasco.

tom

--
double mashed, future mashed, millennium mashed; man it was mashed
Old September 25th 05, 11:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:02:32 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Paul Corfield wrote:

On 16 Sep 2005 15:31:45 -0700, wrote:

Exactly, having multiple southern end destinations all with varying
journey times is a nightmare for timetable compilation and
reliability and will prevent 'tube' levels of frequency on the
individual branches.

I thought the frequencies on the ELLX branches were going to be every
10 minutes peaks and daytimes? This is the same frequency as offered
on a number of Tube services such as the Met to Watford, Uxbridge,
Rayners Lane branch of the Picc, Mill Hill East branch.

Yes, all of which are pitiful services. Even so, they are perhaps
appropriate to the places those line serve: Watford and Uxbridge are
essentially outside London, the Rayner's branch of the Picc also has
the Met, and Mill Hill East isn't exactly a dense hub of population.

The service via South Harrow, Sudbury etc (which is what I meant when I
referred to the Rayners Lane branch) is only served by the Picc Line.

Ah, of course, sorry.

I think we will simply have to disagree about a 10 minute service being
pitiful. 20 minute headways - fairly typical for NR - is what I would
call pitiful.

I think what constitutes pitiful varies according to context - for
somewhere like Sudbury Town that's out in the sticks (and served by fast
mainline trains into town), a train every 10 minutes might well be enough.
For somewhere like Holloway Road, which is closer in and more densely
populated, it wouldn't be. The question is whether the demand on the ELL
is going to be more like Sudbury or Holloway. I have to admit that i think
demand isn't going to be that heavy - the line serves some very densely
populated areas, but i don't see any heavyweight destinations on it - so
perhaps 6 tph will be enough. On the other hand, TfL and plenty of pundits
seem to think it's going be heavily used, in which case 10 tph (especially
with 4-car trains) is going to look pretty silly.

It was bad enough when the individual ELL termini had a 20 min
evening service, if you just missed a train at the 'Cross' at night,
you could walk to the 'Gate' only to just miss that departure too 10
mins' later! Far better a combined service running to one or other
only but then no good for the BR interchange.

This simply reduces the utility of the rail network and certainly does
nothing to improve the lot of people needing to travel into Docklands
and East London from South London.

What? Would you care to explain the reasoning behind that?

The person I was responding to suggested that either NX or NXG branch be
closed. I was disagreeing and saying that to shut one of them reduces
the potential for people to make sensible connections with NR services.
Not every train via NX stops at Lewisham for the DLR so therefore there
will be people wishing to use the ELL to get to Canada Water or Shadwell
for connections into Docklands. Forcing people to wander round the
streets of New Cross or go via London Bridge and Zone 1 to change onto a
tube service doesn't strike me as very sensible.

The flip side is that the service to the surviving branch would be twice
as frequent.

Anyway, imagine you are in control, which branch would you opt not to
serve and why?

New Cross. If you're near New Cross and need the ELL, walk to New Cross
Gate; if you're on a NR train coming into New Cross and need the ELL,
change at the Surrey Canal Road/Deptford Park station various people
have proposed.

This proposed station is part of Phase 2

True. I'd happily keep the NX branch open until phase 2 was done.

and does not seem to have any connection whatsoever with any National
Rail services. Having looked at a map it is also a very long walk from
New Cross. I don't think this is a sensible option at all.

The idea was to move it north a bit and build an interchange station where
the Clapham Junction branch crosses the mainline, with platforms on both
lines - you wouldn't walk from New Cross, you'd stay on your train until
Deptford Park, get off there, then catch an ELL train.

I came across the government's opinions on this idea - apparently, the
disbenefit to mainline passengers going to or from central London
resulting from the delay caused by the extra stop vastly outweighs the
benefit to those wanting to change. I haven't seen the details of the
analysis, though, so i'm not entirely convinced.

Sigh. The railways in this country really are a pain. Why didn't someone
build a station at Southwark Park with platforms on *all* the suburban
lines out of London Bridge, then run the ELL to it along under Rotherhithe
New Road? Oh yes, because all the lines were built by different companies
which all wanted to destroy each other ...

tom

--
double mashed, future mashed, millennium mashed; man it was mashed
Old September 26th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 00:06:14 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

So is the plan at the moment to run the extended ELL with 4-car trains
throughout forever? How many of the stations are capable of taking 6- or
8-car trains? Or being converted to do so? Is it just Rotherhithe, Wapping
and Surrey Keys that are problematic? Will the new stations be built with
(room for) 8-car platforms? Anyone got any idea? I fear a repeat of the
2-car DLR fiasco.

IIRC, whether Phase 2 will be 4-car or longer (and thus the future of
Wapping/Rotherhithe, which would be extremely expensive to extend) is
as yet undecided.

Old September 26th 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:

I think I'm right in saying that *all* of the ELL stations have a
useable length of 4 cars, even the relatively "new" Canada Water. And
most of the North London Line stations are limited to 3 cars at
present...

Cheers,

Barry

Not quite.

Whitechapel, Shadwell, Surrey Quays and New Cross Gate can all take
eight-car trains - they all have pieces of platform that are out of use
at the moment and can be easily brought back into use.

Old September 26th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

The major destination on the line is likely to be Shoreditch High
Street, as it serves a large number of employment locations on the City
fringe which were previously a ten minute walk or so from the nearest
stations at Old St and Liverpool St.

Canada Water will also be fairly significant, for people heading to
Canary Wharf. I think some 5,000 passengers per hour were expected to
switch from journeys via London Bridge (and Waterloo, if/when Phase 2
occurs) to using the ELL to Canada Water.

Although initially a 6tph service will probably be fine (although fairly
busy during the peaks, I should imagine - even during Phase 1), I
believe the plan is to encourage new development at the key interchanges
along the line, allowing it to underpin inner-London densification. The
key place for this will be Whitechapel, which will become a fairly
strategic interchange when Crossrail opens.

[...]

Such a result doesn't surprise me in the least; although the interchange
would be very useful for, say, 10% of the passengers on the trains that
would stop there, the other 90% of passengers just want to get to
central London, and therefore if everyone's time is worth the same, then
the maths is fairly obvious.

It was exactly the same problem at Shoreditch High St, where a Central
line interchange was mooted but dropped.

Neither Shoreditch nor Deptford are easy places to build the new
platforms for interchange, either - the Central line being deep tube and
the Deptford lines being on a viaduct, and both having extremely busy
services that would have to be maintained throughout the majority of the
construction period.

Sigh. The railways in this country really are a pain. Why didn't someone
build a station at Southwark Park with platforms on *all* the suburban
lines out of London Bridge, then run the ELL to it along under
Rotherhithe New Road? Oh yes, because all the lines were built by
different companies which all wanted to destroy each other ...

Capitalism, eh?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7