Old October 3rd 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

Huge wrote:

I didn't get a car until I was 40. I managed fine until then.

So that makes it OK for you to tell other people how they should live
their lives?

If you'll kindly tell me where I gave *anyone* any instructions on how
to live their lives, then I'll recant.

Has it occured to you that other people are not your property?

Has it occurred to you that it is possible to post to a newsgroup
without being insolent?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9767225.html
(APT 370 004 at Crewe in 1979 - when even snazzy liveries were simple)

Old October 3rd 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:

I look forward to hearing that you've died of typhoid

What a strange ambition to have.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p11654414.html
(Over-powered? 143 566 on push-pull duty at Birkenwirder, Berlin, 1999)
Old October 3rd 05, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:

How do people as dumb as you achieve adiulthood?

If you tell me what adiulthood is, I might be able to help you.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9925977.html
(319 381 descending the 1 in 27 leaving London Blackfriars in 2004)
Old October 3rd 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:
Chris Tolley writes:

Paul Weaver wrote:

forced to risk a dangerous night bus

That's nonsense, and you know it. Night buses may be less than ideal,
but they are not per se dangerous. We don't live in a US movie dystopia.

You are starting with the unproven assumption that transport is
necessary at all. People do not generally *have to* live so far from
their place of employment. The main reason that there is transport
congestion is that there are too many people on the move. They may have
all sorts of reasons for choosing to live and work where they do, but in
our society, that's exactly what it is in the vast majority of cases, a
choice.

Jesus Christ but you're dumb. How do people as dumb as you achieve
adiulthood?

A Person chooses to live in place A but to live in place B. Very few of
us are obligated in where we work and where we live so very few of us
have no choice in planning our daily travel. While the example of nurses
at the Chelsea and Westminster is slightly extreme in that there is very
little affordable housing within walking distance of that bit of the
Fulham Road - it is disingenuous to say that there is none.

If you can choose, you have different options. Commuting is a lifestyle
choice, same as what make your TV is, which supermarket you buy your
groceries from and which newspaper you buy in the morning. People choose
to live some distance from their work, it is not thrust upon them by
some dictat from the government.

If a nurse decides that they cannot safely or economically work at a
hospital in the congestion charging zone, I'm sure that they'll be able
to find work in countless other hospitals around the country. If that
hospital suffers longer term trouble because of it, I'm sure we can rely
on the press to highlight the causes. Meantime there are several night
buses that go directly outside the Chelsea and Westminster hospital to
cheaper parts of town (where more normal people live) - and in barely
less time than it would take to drive and certainly cheaper.
Old October 3rd 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Huge" wrote in message

How many times did you have to hit yourself over the head in order to
become this stupid? Perhaps you *really* want to go back to a world
without electricity, refrigeration, immunisation, mains drainage, etc.,
etc., etc, and ... personal transportation.

There is very little need to run a car on a regular basis if you live within
a few miles of central London - "The roads of Britain are clogged with
small, peroxided women in sunglasses, driving children a quarter of a mile
to school in vehicles designed to cross the Sahara." (Iain Murray)

Ian

Old October 3rd 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In message , Laurence Payne
writes
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:07:50 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

I didn't get a car until I was 40. I managed fine until then. I wouldn't
have a car now if it were not for that fact I had been told that my
employment would require it.

So does it require it, or doesn't it? If you were misinformed,
rejoice and sell it.

Not quite the same thing I know but two jobs I've had over the years
both specifically required the successful candidate to have a driving
*licence*. not once in either job was I required to drive.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old October 3rd 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:07:43 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Not quite the same thing I know but two jobs I've had over the years
both specifically required the successful candidate to have a driving
*licence*. not once in either job was I required to drive.
--

Why quote-marks around "licence"?
Old October 3rd 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:34:40 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

How do people as dumb as you achieve adiulthood?

If you tell me what adiulthood is, I might be able to help you.

Chris spotted a typo! Chris spotted a typo! Chris spotted...
Old October 3rd 05, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:17:51 GMT, "Ian"
wrote:

I wonder why so many people are travelling to work at all. I heard on the TV
last week that 1 in 9 people work from home now broadband is widely
available, although many people in non computer jobs have been working from
home for years. Yet the trains are over crowded in the morning going into
London. Traffic congestion seems to get worse everywhere. Where are all of
these people going?

Are we wrongly connecting "1 in 9 work from home" with "now bb is
widely available"? I doubt that 10% of employed workers work from
home. I'd believe that a lot of people lose their jobs and have a go
at self-employment.
Old October 3rd 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On 3 Oct 2005 13:52:52 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Perhaps you *really* want to go back to a world
without electricity, refrigeration, immunisation, mains drainage, etc.,
etc., etc, and ... personal transportation.

Don't forget to expand that "etc. etc." to include all the negative
attributes of modern society. Some come with the package. Do they
ALL have to?