Old October 4th 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

Robert Campbell wrote:
You used "quality of life" in a discussion about London. This, to many
people who regard the area as an overhyped overpriced hellhole, might need
some justification...

Well, it is, but it's *my* "overhyped overpriced hellhole".

Old October 4th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:

I should seek professional help

That's the first thing I've read from you that's made any sense at all.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10934302.html
(the Gornergrat Railway, Switzerland)
Old October 4th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , Huge says...

See my sig. Think about what it means.

I wish you'd live by it.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old October 5th 05, 05:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian wrote:
"Chris Tolley" wrote in message

Paul Weaver wrote:

forced to risk a dangerous night bus

That's nonsense, and you know it. Night buses may be less than ideal,
but they are not per se dangerous. We don't live in a US movie dystopia.

You are starting with the unproven assumption that transport is
necessary at all. People do not generally *have to* live so far from
their place of employment. The main reason that there is transport
congestion is that there are too many people on the move. They may have
all sorts of reasons for choosing to live and work where they do, but in
our society, that's exactly what it is in the vast majority of cases, a
choice. (AIH, in my case, there isn't a choice. my house, is supplied by
my employer, and is next to the building where I do a lot of my work.)

I wonder why so many people are travelling to work at all. I heard on the TV
last week that 1 in 9 people work from home now broadband is widely
available, although many people in non computer jobs have been working from
home for years. Yet the trains are over crowded in the morning going into
London. Traffic congestion seems to get worse everywhere. Where are all of
these people going?

Do they mean that at any given time 1 in 9 work from home, or that 1 in
9 people at some point work from home?

I occasionally work from home but probably not more than once a month.
Does that mean I'm part of the 1 or part of the other 8 in that statistic?

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.
Old October 8th 05, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Steve Firth wrote:

chris harrison wrote:

Commuting is a lifestyle choice

My arse it is.

I made a decision to buy a house one mile from my place of work so that
I could walk to work, and I did so for two years. Then my employer moved
I wanted to make the same decisiout the location of my employers
premises meant there was no housing within three miles. So I moved as
close as I could and bought a bicycle. Then they were taken over and
closed down with "key" staff being relocated 18 miles away, fortunately
close to a railway station, housing in that area was either on a council
"sink" estate or outside a six mile radius. Since I could not get on the
council waiting list for a flat near to work and it would have been
insanity to sell a house, make myself intentionally homeless, then
attempt to make a home in a location most famous for its crack cocaine
addicts, I had to commute.

Nowadays my commuting is of the order of hundreds to thousands of miles
a week, because the location of the job moves around the country every
month or so.

I've never made "a lifestyle choice" to commute.

What a sad existence to lead; having your life controlled by so many others.
For once I feel genuinely sorry for you.

John B

Old October 9th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:50:27 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Nowadays my commuting is of the order of hundreds to thousands of miles
a week, because the location of the job moves around the country every
month or so.

Thousands? That means at least two thousand. Over a 5 day week, 400
miles a day.

So when you're working 200 miles from home, they expect you to
commute? What is this job anyway?
Old October 10th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

In article , Steve Firth
says...

What is this job anyway?

What ****ing business is it of yours?

He's a toilet cleaner for Plod.

Old October 10th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 16:49:37 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Nowadays my commuting is of the order of hundreds to thousands of miles
a week, because the location of the job moves around the country every
month or so.

Thousands? That means at least two thousand. Over a 5 day week, 400
miles a day.

Heck, you can divide a thousand by five, did you need a calculator? And
what amkes you think I work a five day week?

So when you're working 200 miles from home, they expect you to
commute?

What amkes you think I work as little as 200 miles from home? What makes
you think I work at the same place two days running?

What is this job anyway?

What ****ing business is it of yours?

You mentioned it on a public forum. It's all our business now.

So you haven't an answer? :-)