Old October 4th 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Default New Fares

Seems to me that really the announcement was pretty reasonable and not
really very controversial at all.

The papers print the same story every year and highlight only the worst
comparisons they can find.

Old October 4th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Paul" wrote in message
Chris Hills wrote:
asdf wrote:

But the fare increases won't affect journeys from those stations.

While it's a fair point that the train companies ought to start
accepting pre-pay, Mr Pope has ended up looking a bit clueless IMO.

In addition, I believe you cannot use a railcard (eg YP) on Oyster travel cards.

Also the passengers charter says that rail users are entitled to a discount if punctuality falls
below a certain level. This discount does not apply to oyster period travel cards. You know
where you can stick yer oyser Ken!

Not true. Where season tickets are available on Oyster from National Rail
stations (e.g. c2c/SWT etc.) they are sold on the same basis and with the
same benefits.

You would also be eligable to claim under the London Underground scheme
as well as receive the TOC related renewal discount (where applicable).

Old October 4th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Chris Hills" wrote in message
.uk...
asdf wrote:
But the fare increases won't affect journeys from those stations.

While it's a fair point that the train companies ought to start
accepting pre-pay, Mr Pope has ended up looking a bit clueless IMO.

In addition, I believe you cannot use a railcard (eg YP) on Oyster travel cards.

The only YP discount available on travelcards is a £6 Z1-6 off peak
reduced to £4.80. This ticket is not available on Oyster at either price.
The nearest match would be a Z1-6 capped fare of £5.70

Students however get 30% off all purchases of weekly or longer tickets
purchased on Oyster (but not paper).

Old October 4th 05, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TKD wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

Chris Hills wrote:

asdf wrote:

But the fare increases won't affect journeys from those stations.

While it's a fair point that the train companies ought to start
accepting pre-pay, Mr Pope has ended up looking a bit clueless IMO.

In addition, I believe you cannot use a railcard (eg YP) on Oyster travel cards.

Also the passengers charter says that rail users are entitled to a discount if punctuality falls
below a certain level. This discount does not apply to oyster period travel cards. You know
where you can stick yer oyser Ken!

Not true. Where season tickets are available on Oyster from National Rail
stations (e.g. c2c/SWT etc.) they are sold on the same basis and with the
same benefits.

You would also be eligable to claim under the London Underground scheme
as well as receive the TOC related renewal discount (where applicable).

Oysters website says:

National Rail discount

Question
My National Rail Train Operating Company, gives me a discount on the
price of my season ticket. Will I get the same discount if I get a
season ticket on Oyster?

Answer
Unfortunately not. Many Train Operating Companies offer discounts on
their Travelcards in direct relation to the quality of their past
service performance. Therefore, we are unable to take into consideration
any discounts offered by National Rail Train Operating Companies.

This kind of defeats the main advantage of oyster - buying online.

P.S. Does anyone have any info on how many National Rail stations sell
Oyster?

--
Paul
Old October 4th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Answer
Unfortunately not. Many Train Operating Companies offer discounts on their Travelcards in direct
relation to the quality of their past service performance. Therefore, we are unable to take into
consideration any discounts offered by National Rail Train Operating Companies.

This kind of defeats the main advantage of oyster - buying online.

P.S. Does anyone have any info on how many National Rail stations sell Oyster?

That's if you buy direct from TfL or online - there is no way they could (or would want to)
calculate the discount.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...fares-2005.pdf

Page 26 of this lists the NR stations selling Oyster Cards:

Barking, Beckenham Junction, City Thameslink, Drayton Park, Ealing Broadway,
East Croydon, Essex Road, Euston, Fenchurch Street, Finsbury Park, Greenwich,
Gunnersbury, Harlesden, Harrow & Wealdstone, Kensal Green, Kensington Olympia,
Kenton, Kew Gardens, Kings Cross (Thameslink), Lewisham, Limehouse,
Liverpool Street, Marylebone, Mitcham Junction, New Cross, New Cross Gate,
North Wembley, Queen's Park, Richmond, South Kenton, Stonebridge Park,
Stratford, Upminster, Walthamstow, Wembley Central, Willesden Junction, Wimbledon

Old October 4th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Graham J
writes

Finally we had one saying that it would hit those who don't use Oyster cards
because many train companies refuse them (I assume he meant don't issue
them). Well I don't see how that forces them to pay cash fares instead of
using Pre-Pay. OK with through daily tickets there may be an issue but
surely not a huge one in the scheme of things.

My job takes me into London (via SWT and tube) only occasionally, for
which I use one-day travel cards.

How would Oyster benefit me, bearing in mind that it is not accepted by
SWT?

--
Paul Terry
Old October 4th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TKD wrote:
[...]

Most (all?) of these are tube/tram/DLR too! Funny that
Old October 4th 05, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

That's if you buy direct from TfL or online - there is no way they could (or would want to)
calculate the discount.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...fares-2005.pdf

Page 26 of this lists the NR stations selling Oyster Cards:

Barking, Beckenham Junction, City Thameslink, Drayton Park, Ealing Broadway,
East Croydon, Essex Road, Euston, Fenchurch Street, Finsbury Park, Greenwich,
Gunnersbury, Harlesden, Harrow & Wealdstone, Kensal Green, Kensington Olympia,
Kenton, Kew Gardens, Kings Cross (Thameslink), Lewisham, Limehouse,
Liverpool Street, Marylebone, Mitcham Junction, New Cross, New Cross Gate,
North Wembley, Queen's Park, Richmond, South Kenton, Stonebridge Park,
Stratford, Upminster, Walthamstow, Wembley Central, Willesden Junction, Wimbledon

Most (all?) of these are tube/tram/DLR too! Funny that

Yes. There isn't much incentive for say SET to start selling Oyster Cards at Bromley South.

Old October 4th 05, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:16:11 +0100, "Paul" Paul @whydoyoucare.co.uk
wrote:

A single Tube journey in zone one will cost £3 instead of £2 while a
single bus journey will rise from £1.20 to £1.50, said Mayor Ken
Livingstone.

Absolutely ridiculous.

£3 per Tube ride is a sick joke, while £1.50 per bus ride is not far
off what you'd pay for a few miles elsewhere in the country, but is
offensively expensive for a short journey.

I understand the purpose of the exercise is to encourage Oyster use,
but IMO this is not the way to do it. Will this, OOI, now make taxis
cheaper for a short journey than the underground? What's the minimum
fare these days?

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old October 4th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

I understand the purpose of the exercise is to encourage Oyster use,
but IMO this is not the way to do it.

So what is the way to do it? Abolish cash fares straight away? I now
consider cash fares to be effectively abolished now anyway as I see no
reason to pay in cash when it costs more.