Old October 4th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New Fares

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...fares-2005.pdf

Page 26 of this lists the NR stations selling Oyster Cards:

Barking, Beckenham Junction, City Thameslink, Drayton Park, Ealing Broadway,
East Croydon, Essex Road, Euston, Fenchurch Street, Finsbury Park, Greenwich,
Gunnersbury, Harlesden, Harrow & Wealdstone, Kensal Green, Kensington Olympia,
Kenton, Kew Gardens, Kings Cross (Thameslink), Lewisham, Limehouse,
Liverpool Street, Marylebone, Mitcham Junction, New Cross, New Cross Gate,
North Wembley, Queen's Park, Richmond, South Kenton, Stonebridge Park,
Stratford, Upminster, Walthamstow, Wembley Central, Willesden Junction, Wimbledon

Most (all?) of these are tube/tram/DLR too! Funny that

Yes. There isn't much incentive for say SET to start selling Oyster Cards at Bromley South.

Do SET actually sell Oyster cards at all? I am just wondering as I've
tried to get a SET-based Travelcard before from their stations
(obviously for the passenger charter discount). I've tried Greenwich
(who stared at me blankly as if I was talking some foreign language
when I asked them) and Lewisham have a big sign saying "We are unable
to issue Oyster cards or prepay at present .. sorry for the
inconvience" on the ticket office windows. I saw the notice was still
on there today - not that it looks like they'll be bothering to resolve
that anytime soon.

I've not tried New Cross though (maybe being a NR/Underground station
and not a NR/DLR station makes a difference?). Just wondering if anyone
has actually managed to get one, assuming they exist?

It seems there is quite a difference between the NR stations Transport
For Livingstone believes issues Oyster cards, and the ones that
actually do.

Alex.

Old October 4th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Oct 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Richard Adamfi"
wrote:

So what is the way to do it? Abolish cash fares straight away? I now
consider cash fares to be effectively abolished now anyway as I see no
reason to pay in cash when it costs more.

Cheaper fares on Oyster, not artificially and ridiculously
over-expensive ones on paper.

Also, look at improving access to Oyster. How about an issuing
machine eating, say, gbp10 notes (and credit cards) and issuing
non-registered pre-pay Oyster cards to tourists with a fiver deposit
(with return machines also provided to return the deposit) and a fiver
of credit?

Finally, flatten and simplify the Oyster fares structure. The paper
fares structure does not fit it well and introduces unnecessary
complexity.

And gbp3 is an absolute insult. Off-peak, you can get a ticket for
unlimited train travel throughout Greater Manchester for less than
that, for example. gbp2 is too much for a Zone 1 single, IMO.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old October 4th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:

Cheaper fares on Oyster, not artificially and ridiculously
over-expensive ones on paper.

Of course, that would be better but we have already tried that strategy
this year. It would appear that many people are still paying the 2
pound cash single compared to the 1.70 Oyster fare. It is clear that a
bigger differential is needed to encourage Oyster use.

Old October 4th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

Will this, OOI, now make taxis cheaper for a short
journey than the underground? What's the minimum
fare these days?

Minimum taxi fare is GBP 2.20. 3 pounds may well get you from one tube
station to the next. For 2 people, 6 pounds would get you a decent distance
in a taxi by day or night.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 4th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Finally we had one saying that it would hit those who don't use Oyster
cards
because many train companies refuse them (I assume he meant don't issue
them). Well I don't see how that forces them to pay cash fares instead

of
using Pre-Pay. OK with through daily tickets there may be an issue but
surely not a huge one in the scheme of things.

My job takes me into London (via SWT and tube) only occasionally, for
which I use one-day travel cards.

How would Oyster benefit me, bearing in mind that it is not accepted by
SWT?

It is unlikely to benefit you at all. However a dramatic increase in cash
single fares and a decrease or freezing of Oyster Pre-Pay fares will not
have a negative benefit on you either and that was the main thrust of
today's announcement. My point was simply that there was nothing in today's
anouncement that significantly penalised those who can't use Oyster cards on
their train services.

Old October 4th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , TKD
writes

My job takes me into London (via SWT and tube) only occasionally, for
which I use one-day travel cards.

How would Oyster benefit me, bearing in mind that it is not accepted by SWT?

Oyster is only intended for journeys made wholly within London.

My journeys are made wholly within London (all, in fact, within 8 miles
of the centre). As I said before, they are part by SWT, followed by tube
for the most central part.

So, try again - how would Oyster help me?

Are you suggesting that I should pay twice for a journey that I can now
do on a single Travel Card ?

--
Paul Terry
Old October 4th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

In message , TKD writes

?

--
Paul Terry

Ah. "My job takes me into London" suggested you had come from outside.

Old October 4th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul wrote:

Tubes and buses hit by fare hike

(snip)

However fares will fall for holders of the Oyster pre-pay smartcards.

There will be much debate about the rights and wrongs of the increase
in cash single fares on the Tubes and buses, but the BBC News story
story contains the critical information on how to avoid these fares
increases. And that is to ***get an Oyster card and start using the Pre
Pay system to pay for single fares on the Tubes and buses***.

It is that simple. The problem is people get horrendously confused by
the Oyster card system, confusing the two functions it has - that it
can be loaded with a Travelcard season ticket, and that it can be
loaded with Pre Pay 'credit'.

(It is true that those two functions are linked - in the sense that
when travelling on routes that accept Pre Pay - i.e. all of the
Underground and a few National Rail routes - those with a Travelcard
season ticket loaded on their Oyster card will automatically have the
appropriate sum deducted from their Pre Pay should they travel outside
of the zones covered by their Travelcard. However this advanced
functionality is irrelevant for those who merely wish to make a journey
or two on a Tube or bus and are currently paying by cash.)

So, go and get an Oyster and tell everyone you know to do the same. To
get an Oyster card online go to http://www.oystercard.com, and select
'Create account' from the menu on the left hand side of the screen.
Once you've created your account, either click on 'Get an Oyster card'
in the same left hand menu or click on the 'Order a new Oyster card'
link in the centre of the screen. On the next screen click on 'buy Pre
Pay'. You can get a card with between £10 and £50 of Pre Pay already
loaded on it delivered to your address. There is a £3 deposit,
refundable should you wish to ever return the card.

Voila - your card will arrive within a week.

Old October 4th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:04:57 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

My journeys are made wholly within London (all, in fact, within 8 miles
of the centre). As I said before, they are part by SWT, followed by tube
for the most central part.

So, try again - how would Oyster help me?

Are you suggesting that I should pay twice for a journey that I can now
do on a single Travel Card ?

For casual use, Oyster pre-pay isn't for you. Until national rail
stop resisting the pre-pay system. It does seem unfair that your
one-day card will cost a little more on paper than on Oyster.