Old October 21st 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
.uk...
In message , at 19:25:21 on Fri, 21 Oct
2005, "tim (moved to sweden)" remarked:

punishable by penalty fare, not by criminal convection.

wossat? A load of hot air?

I have one to heat my house, don't you.

:-(

tim

Old October 21st 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:42:42 +0100, "londoncityslicker"
wrote:

"Clive Dennis" wrote in message
roups.com...

If you don't touch in again and walk on then theres no way of knowing if you
have a valid ticket.

The DLR crew do use their initiative and give you the benefit of the doubt
in most cases.
However the heavy handed revenue inspectors really don't care. They are in
the business of collecting names and addresses and prosecuting.

It happens to me at least once a week.
Solution I can see on the DLR is if you touch in twice at the same reader
then the system should realise this

Reading all this has made me decide not to get an oyster card. Not
that I can use one as my daily journey into London starts from outside
zone 6.
I prefer a printed card with all journey details plainly displayed so
anyone can see that I have a valid ticket.

Dave
Old October 21st 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:39:49 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:40:15 +0100 someone who may be Barry Salter
wrote this:-

I'd further suggest that she was given the option of paying the £20
Penalty Fare, declined to do so, failed to pay within 21 days, and
*that* is why TfL are taking her to Court.

Er, why should someone pay a "penalty" fare if they have already
paid the fare by a card gizmo?

She hadn't.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old October 21st 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:38:20 on Fri, 21
Oct 2005, Chris remarked:
Well I saw the BBC London news report and the accused fare dodger
was quite emphatic that she offered to pay the penalty fare a
number of times, but the inspector just demanded her name and
address and confiscated the oyster card.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just try swiping the card again? I
assume it had some credit on it.

It had only 50p credit according to the inspector (as reported in tha
Standard), which I guess contributed to his suspicion that this was more
than just a failure to touch in properly.

Did anyone hear the passenger interviewed on radio (BBC London I think)
on Thursday evening? Someone who heard the broadcast thought she
admitted that she knew there wasn't enough credit on the card, but it
seems an unlikely thing for her to say.
--
Richard J.

Old October 22nd 05, 08:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:05:22 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:38:20 on Fri, 21
Oct 2005, Chris remarked:
Well I saw the BBC London news report and the accused fare dodger
was quite emphatic that she offered to pay the penalty fare a
number of times, but the inspector just demanded her name and
address and confiscated the oyster card.

So, what happens if the Bus card-reader is broken, and the driver
waves you on - happens a couple of times per month on the routes that
I use (308, 678). Take it I should insist on paying cash?

Regards
Mailto:
-dot-uk

Old October 22nd 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

So, what happens if the Bus card-reader is broken, and the driver
waves you on - happens a couple of times per month on the routes that
I use (308, 678). Take it I should insist on paying cash?

You can add the 8, 277 & 15 to that list and countless more probably.

The official TfL position is that you should pay the cash fare and request
a refund of the price difference from them...

Unless you were capped that day in which case you would be entitled to
a full refund.

Or if that journey was the last one that day and took you past a cap then
you would get a refund of any extra you paid in total beyond the cap.

Not a very elegant solution.

Old October 22nd 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:36:59 +0100 someone who may be James Farrar
wrote this:-

Er, why should someone pay a "penalty" fare if they have already
paid the fare by a card gizmo?

She hadn't.

She presumably had, in her own mind. Remember that humans are not
machines.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old October 22nd 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:30:05 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

Er, why should someone pay a "penalty" fare if they have already
paid the fare by a card gizmo?

She hadn't.

She presumably had, in her own mind. Remember that humans are not
machines.

If, as has been reported, she had insufficient pre-pay on her card
anyway, the plot thickens. How many lies were told and strong words
exchanged BEFORE she offered to pay the penalty charge?
Old October 22nd 05, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TKD" typed

So, what happens if the Bus card-reader is broken, and the driver
waves you on - happens a couple of times per month on the routes that
I use (308, 678). Take it I should insist on paying cash?

You can add the 8, 277 & 15 to that list and countless more probably.

And 302 & 305...

The official TfL position is that you should pay the cash fare and request
a refund of the price difference from them...

Unless you were capped that day in which case you would be entitled to
a full refund.

Or if that journey was the last one that day and took you past a cap then
you would get a refund of any extra you paid in total beyond the cap.

Not a very elegant solution.

Time-consuming above the line of duty IMHO...

Not that a punter's time *ever* counts for anything. I wonder how many
hours' work are lost because punters try phoning their
Council/bank/doctor/hospital and are put on 'hold' for ages or have to
redial 20 times to get through?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 22nd 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TKD" wrote in message

So, what happens if the Bus card-reader is broken, and the driver
waves you on - happens a couple of times per month on the routes that
I use (308, 678). Take it I should insist on paying cash?

You can add the 8, 277 & 15 to that list and countless more probably.

The official TfL position is that you should pay the cash fare and request
a refund of the price difference from them...

Unless you were capped that day in which case you would be entitled to
a full refund.

Or if that journey was the last one that day and took you past a cap then
you would get a refund of any extra you paid in total beyond the cap.

Not a very elegant solution.

Not a solution at all. How much of my time am I expected
to use up to receive my 40p refund?

If the transport company really think that this is reasonable
then the OFT really ought to have a look at their T&Cs and
tell them which ones to delete.

tim