Old March 16th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East Putney station

I think that during Easter weekend a lot of rail work will be taking
place at Clapham Junction.
Many services are being diverted.
I am sure I read somewhere that some passenger trains will use the
line that goes from Clapham Junction to Wimbledon via East Putney.
As far as I know National Rail does not normally use this line for
trains carrying passengers it would be nice to use this opportunity to
ride the line. (The District line uses shares it after East Putney).
Does anyone know what services, if any, are being diverted on this
route during the Easter break?
Thanks

Old March 16th 08, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

[crossposted to uk.railway]

On 16 Mar, 10:19, wrote:

I think that during Easter weekend a lot of rail work will be taking
place at Clapham Junction.
Many services are being diverted.
I am sure I read somewhere that some passenger trains will use the
line that goes from Clapham Junction to Wimbledon via East Putney.
As far as I know National Rail does not normally use this line for
trains carrying passengers it would be nice to use this opportunity to
ride the line. (The District line uses shares it after East Putney).
Does anyone know what services, if any, are being diverted on this
route during the Easter break?
Thanks

This route is used at least twice every day by National Rail trains -
it just happens late or very early in the day.

See the entry under "Point Pleasant Junction - East Putney":
http://www.avoe05.dsl.pipex.com/2008.htm

Of course if you travel on one of the late trains it's most likely
going to be dark outside, so not much to see - I've been that way a
few times, not to 'bash' the line but just to get from A to B when it
was late.

SWT has some engineering works info on their website - but I haven't
deciphered it to work out what trains are going which way (hence me
crossposting this to uk.railway for what I hope will be some expert
advice!).

This is the entry for Easter Sunday - use the calendar on the right to
select the other days of the Easter weekend:
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWT...s/080323SU.htm
Old March 16th 08, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote in message
[crossposted to uk.railway]

On 16 Mar, 10:19, wrote:

[...]

If you want to "risk it", just wait on the Windsor lines platforms at
Clapham Junction until a Wimbledon, Surbiton or Woking[1] service comes
along.

[1] these may go via Chertsey.

tim

Old March 20th 08, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
I think that during Easter weekend a lot of rail work will be taking
place at Clapham Junction.
Many services are being diverted.
I am sure I read somewhere that some passenger trains will use the
line that goes from Clapham Junction to Wimbledon via East Putney.
As far as I know National Rail does not normally use this line for
trains carrying passengers it would be nice to use this opportunity to
ride the line. (The District line uses shares it after East Putney).
Does anyone know what services, if any, are being diverted on this
route during the Easter break?
Thanks

A check today on SWT's journey planner shows a 6 tph frequency Wimbledon -
Clapham Junction & return on Saturday.

Paul

Old March 20th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 20, 3:48*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

I think that during Easter weekend a lot of rail work will be taking
place at Clapham Junction.
Many services are being diverted.
I am sure I read somewhere that some passenger trains will use the
line that goes from Clapham Junction to Wimbledon via East Putney.
As far as I know National Rail does not normally use this line for
trains carrying passengers it would be nice to use this opportunity to
ride the line. (The District line uses shares it after East Putney).
Does anyone know what services, if any, are being diverted on this
route during the Easter break?
Thanks

A check today on SWT's journey planner shows a 6 tph frequency Wimbledon -
Clapham Junction & return on Saturday.

Paul

Two of them (taking 28 minutes) are by bus, presumably serving
Earlsfield.

The other four are down to take 15 minutes. The usual journey time is
7 minutes, so that would seem to confirm that they are not going the
usual way, although I would have thought that 15 minutes, via a single
track connection and fitting in with the District Line is a bit
ambitious.

Old March 20th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
On Mar 20, 3:48 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I'm reading it as there are 6 tph and 3 buses. SWT's display only shows 5
services at once, you have to click 'earlier' or 'later' as well.

Although there is no sign on TfL's site of any service 'reductions' on the
District Line, could they be running a reduced frequency compared to a
normal Saturday - TfL seem to usually only list closures...

Paul S

Old March 20th 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Mar 20, 4:30*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
MIG wrote:
On Mar 20, 3:48 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Ah right. In that case even more potential inteference with the
District.

Although there is no sign on TfL's site of any service 'reductions' on the
District Line, could they be running a reduced frequency compared to a
normal Saturday *

As well as six non-stop services each way threading between stopping
services, that's twelve tph in total down a single track at East
Putney and also fitting in between regular services to and from Putney
on the flat.

The whole thing does seem a bit ambitious.
Old March 20th 08, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Mar, 17:09, MIG wrote:

On Mar 20, 4:30 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

MIG wrote:

On Mar 20, 3:48 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[...]

However there's no 'Wimbleware' service for the whole long weekend, as
there's no (District/Circle) trains running between Edgware Road and
Earls Court/Gloucester Rd. Perhaps this does point to a reduced
frequency on the District from Wimbledon this weekend then.
Old March 21st 08, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Mar, 17:25, Mizter T wrote:
On 20 Mar, 17:09, MIG wrote:

On Mar 20, 4:30 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

MIG wrote:

On Mar 20, 3:48 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys for the information.
Today Good Friday, I have been riding the line in both directions,
there seem to be plenty of trains possibly 4 an hour in each
direction. Just get a train from platform 6 at Clapham Junction that
is going next stop Wimbledeon. At Wimbledeon get a Waterloo train with
Clapham Juntion as the first stop.
They did announce on one train that it would be going through East
Putney.
Nice views from the train as travels up alongside the Windsor/ Reading
lines, before branching of to East Putney, then straight through
Southfields and Wimbledeon Park.
District line trains also running on line.
Will be back tommorow to take some photos from East Putney station.
This is a rare opportunity to see frequent service by Network Rail
along this line.

John

Old March 21st 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 20 Mar, 17:25, Mizter T wrote:
On 20 Mar, 17:09, MIG wrote:

However there's no 'Wimbleware' service for the whole long weekend, as
there's no (District/Circle) trains running between Edgware Road and
Earls Court/Gloucester Rd. Perhaps this does point to a reduced
frequency on the District from Wimbledon this weekend then.

Thanks guys for the information.
Today Good Friday, I have been riding the line in both directions,
there seem to be plenty of trains possibly 4 an hour in each
direction. Just get a train from platform 6 at Clapham Junction that
is going next stop Wimbledeon. At Wimbledeon get a Waterloo train with
Clapham Juntion as the first stop.

I had a return journey Wimbledon - CJ too. There are definitely 6 SWT ph
most hours, 2 tph each to/from Woking, Shepperton, and Basingstoke/Alton
(splitting). There also seemed to be alternating LU trains so up to12 tph
in each direction?

Slight glitch just before 5 when Wimbledon platform 5 was blocked by a 66
headed engineers train heading towards CJ through the blocked section, but
otherwise I thought everything was working pretty smoothly, considering the
flat junctions on and off the 'District line' section, and the single lead
connection with the Windsor lines. Had I relied upon the BBC's warnings
there should have been total chaos in the area, in fact there were probably
more services running than on many previous weekends when engineering work
has closed the main lines through CJ.

At Wimbledon platform 6 was being used as a terminating platform for
Chessington and Guildford stoppers, and platform 7 for down through trains.

I noticed, (for the first time), that there are differential speed limits on
the East Putney line, 30 mph over 45 mph for LU, so that possibly explains
how the interworking of stoppers and non-stop is organised. Oddly, the
platform announcements on East Putney's up platform were alternately
displaying a 'stand clear the next train is non-stop' message, despite them
turning off just before the station!

Paul S.