Old November 26th 05, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 'One under'

As a tube commuter I often have cause to grumble about it, and sometimes
people who work on it, especially when there's a strike (sorry, I'm only
human!).

But this evening I was on the southbound Jubilee line platform at Green Park
when someone a few metres to my right launched themselves in front of the
incoming train. Luckily I wasn't looking that way and I only got to hear it
rather than see it.

I just wanted to say that the driver coped with it very well; he stopped the
train extremely quickly and after a slight pause when he'd presumably
radioed it through came out of his cab calmly to help with moving people off
the platform. Unfortunately there weren't any station staff down there at
the time and there was a slight delay while staff came down to our level,
but they were all fast and efficient while still maintaining courtesy to the
people who were annoyed they were being cleared out (it was very busy and
many people were arriving who didn't know anything had happened).

Just wanted to say well done to the staff who have to deal with this on an
all too regular basis - on leaving I wished I'd asked the driver if he was
OK on behalf of the passengers but I think I was still slightly in shock
myself.

Tony

Old November 26th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:58:26 -0000, "Tony Wilson" a@a wrote:

But this evening I was on the southbound Jubilee line platform at Green Park
when someone a few metres to my right launched themselves in front of the
incoming train. Luckily I wasn't looking that way and I only got to hear it
rather than see it.

Just wanted to say well done to the staff who have to deal with this on an
all too regular basis - on leaving I wished I'd asked the driver if he was
OK on behalf of the passengers but I think I was still slightly in shock
myself.

It would have been un upsetting experience, I'm sure. But let's not
descend into tabloid exaggerations. You and the driver may have been
shocked. But you wouldn't be "in shock". That's a specific medical
condition. The victim (if he had survived) might have been. But not
you.
Old November 26th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Would explain the "severe delays" on the boards for the Jubilee when I
was coming home earlier this evening.
I've been on a train when some has gone under. Actually heard the thump
and then the driver on the radio saying "I've got one under". It
shocked me at the time, but it quickly became a detached incident, like
seeing a bad road accident.

Neill

Old November 26th 05, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Laurence Payne writes:
... let's not descend into tabloid exaggerations. You and the
driver may have been shocked. But you wouldn't be "in shock".
That's a specific medical condition. ...

Let's not assume that words or phrases have only one meaning, either.
--
Mark Brader "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you
Toronto do say can and will be misquoted and used against
Old November 27th 05, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Haemodynamic semantic pedantics was 'One under'

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Mark Brader wrote:

Laurence Payne writes:

... let's not descend into tabloid exaggerations. You and the driver
may have been shocked. But you wouldn't be "in shock". That's a
specific medical condition. ...

Let's not assume that words or phrases have only one meaning, either.

Some words or phrases *do* have only one meaning - if i said "i've got a
bit of thrombosis", meaning i had a stitch, that would be wrong, wouldn't
it? The term "in shock" refers to hypovolemic shock, and always has done;
shock was not something you could be _in_ until that use was coined. It's
true that people have started using it to mean 'shocked', but, like people
using 'flu' to mean 'a bad cold', it's wrong.

tom

--
This should be on ox.boring, shouldn't it?

Old November 27th 05, 06:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson typed

Let's not assume that words or phrases have only one meaning, either.

Some words or phrases *do* have only one meaning - if i said "i've got a
bit of thrombosis", meaning i had a stitch, that would be wrong, wouldn't
it?

Yup!

The term "in shock" refers to hypovolemic shock, and always has done;

pedant
The term 'shock' means 'a state of reduced tissue perfusion'. Not all
shock is hypovolaemic ( a state of reduced circulating blood volume, eg
due to blood loss)

There is also: septic shock (due to bacteria)
cardiogenic shock (reduced effective heart pumping action)
neurogenic shock (eg due to nervous system damage)

To state but a few
pedant

shock was not something you could be _in_ until that use was coined. It's
true that people have started using it to mean 'shocked', but, like people
using 'flu' to mean 'a bad cold', it's wrong.

Indeed.
Medically, 'shock' is usually an intensive care type problem; fainting
or hyperventilating after seeing some dreadful event is not.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 27th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Wilson (a@a) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But this evening I was on the southbound Jubilee line platform at
Green Park when someone a few metres to my right launched themselves
in front of the incoming train.

I dunno what it was about Green Park yesterday, but that Jubilee "passenger
action" was followed at about 10-10.30 by somebody else at Green Park doing
exactly the same on the Victoria line.
Old November 27th 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Medically, 'shock' is usually an intensive care type problem; fainting
or hyperventilating after seeing some dreadful event is not.

Thank you for the explanation. I've always been under the (wrong) impression
that "having a shock" (at a large gas bill, e.g.) was a synonym for being
"in shock". I thought that all this business about people being "taken
to hospital for shock" was some sort of medical euphemism for "taking them
to a sanatorium for some sort of emotional upset".

I had no idea that "shock" was a specific medical condition.

Richard [in PE12]
Old November 27th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Medically, 'shock' is usually an intensive care type problem; fainting
or hyperventilating after seeing some dreadful event is not.

Thank you for the explanation. I've always been under the (wrong) impression
that "having a shock" (at a large gas bill, e.g.) was a synonym for being
"in shock". I thought that all this business about people being "taken
to hospital for shock" was some sort of medical euphemism for "taking them
to a sanatorium for some sort of emotional upset"

This indeed occurs; it is often safest to transfer those involved though
apparently uninjured to hospital for thorough checking,[1] often
followed by cups of tea.

Those who witness dreadful events sometimes benefit from counselling and
debriefing which may be provided.

I had no idea that "shock" was a specific medical condition.

Usenet has some uses...

[1] It's obviously easier to check someone from head to toe in a warm,
well-lit Emergency department than on a cold, dark, windy, noisy street.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

One under alex_t London Transport 12 October 17th 07 09:35 AM
Another one under Phil Clark London Transport 9 November 28th 05 06:19 PM
Another one under Spyke London Transport 1 November 27th 05 06:21 PM
Strange crash: Archway Road under the bridge dave F London Transport 0 February 21st 05 08:19 PM
the book...London under London ronnie biggs London Transport 4 August 1st 03 08:00 AM