Old December 23rd 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Default Teenager dies 'playing' on hi-speed track out of Paddington

"Simon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Brimstone wrote
No one is "gleeful" that someone has got himself killed.

JFG wrote
Please show me a gleeful post in this thread.

Are the above statements really grounded in fact? - look at the
excerpts below from this email thread, it is hard to escape the general
view that due justice has been served in a way that many find
satisfying at least. The comments do range from at best 'hard hearted'
to at worst 'celebratory'.

1. we should perhaps thanks the HEX for contributing to crime
prevention.

2.He was knowingly and willingly in the very wrong place at a very
wrong time.....and paid the price

3. HIS actions cost him HIS life. Regardless of date, this guy was a
bloody idiot. If ....... i have to say 'i feel so sorry for him and
maybe it wasn't his FAULT and he was only 17 '..... then sorry, i
don't buy that.

4. this guy got exactly what he deserved.

5. Why have compassion for someone who deliberately puts himself in
harm's way

6. Why have compassion for someone so reckless with his own well being?

7. If someone is sufficiently stupid to stand in front of a fast
moviing train, what should anyone else have sympathy for him?

8. So it's one less hooded chav mugger to worry about

Your views are so childish it's unbelievable. They don't stretch to beyond
the visible. You can't understand what's going on in other people's heads,
so you analyse the situation entirely on what you see.

I just hope you never need compassion from others, because if they think
like you, you're screwed.

Old December 23rd 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"JFGrieve" wrote in message
MIG wrote:
People who are interested in railways have been ridiculed for years
(eg the term "trainspotter", for which there is no equivalent for
anyone interested in any other industry).

Well there is 'planespotters' but there has been no suggestion that these
people were enthusiasts.

Lorries as well, especially Eddie Stobart ones.

--
*** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ ***
Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)

Old December 23rd 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message
"Rich Mackin" wrote:

"JFGrieve" wrote in message
MIG wrote:
People who are interested in railways have been ridiculed for years
(eg the term "trainspotter", for which there is no equivalent for
anyone interested in any other industry).

Well there is 'planespotters' but there has been no suggestion that these
people were enthusiasts.

Lorries as well, especially Eddie Stobart ones.

Petrol heads, Twitchers, nerds, geeks and, of course, the all-purpose anorak.

Just about any hobby will have a derogatory term for the more extreme
practioners.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old December 23rd 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having arrived at Paddington that night hundreds of us boarded the
00.25 train for Hayes and Reading - and then sat, and sat, and sat
going nowhere - for nearly two and a half hours. No-one had any
specific info., nothing was announced although the train p.a.

crackled
now-and-again. All we were told was that "all of the lines had been
closed by the police due to an incident at Hanwell." And "No - we
couldn't even get to Ealing."

At Paddington there were no managers trying to sort things out.

There
were only four hapless station staff and two drivers trying to

organise
400+ tired passengers milling around not knowing what to do.

EVENTUALLY at 02.45 - fully two and half hours later - all that
FGWL/FGW could provide was a double decker bus for stations to

Reading
and a small coach for Oxford. Just these for 400+ passengers.

Nothing new there then.
When the railway works well it's best of all, but when it goes wrong
its very definately the worst.

Having got the bus to Reading via Hayes we then had to endure the

bus
driver steering with his left hand, with his right hand holding a
mobile phone to his left ear. Apparently he was talking to his
supervisor who must have known that he was driving a bus chock. full

of
passengers. In fact this bus was crammed with passengers standing
upstairs and downstairs and on the stairs, and such was his eratic
driving whilst on the phone that when he hit the median curb into

Hayes
the bus and everyone lurched sideways putting all of our lives at

risk.

I thought it was an offence to drive while using a handheld mobile.

As this was a very particular special it ought to be easy for the
police to identify the driver and his mobile phone records and with
your testomony should be able to get a successful prosecution -if they
were remotely interested.

However as such a prosecution might just/possibly/remotely damage
mobile phone sales or revenue streams I expect Tony Blair of the
'Labour will always put business first' party have introduced an
exception for vocational drivers. Now I come to think of it, the
number of HGV and van drivers I see using mobile phones confirms this
must be the case. ;-)

Roger

Old December 23rd 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Okay the person killed maybe of unsound mind, very possible this time
of year! Sucides are common around Christmas. Is that not society's
fault?Not recognising someone needs help!

Or maybe it was a short cut home. At seventeen the parents should have
taught their seventeen year old the dangers in life, right from wrong!
And the consequences of breaking rules.

Under the influence of drink drugs, whatever! The individual's own
fault for not maintaining their own health and state of mind
sufficiently to know what they are doing.

You can have compassion for anyone involved and that includes the poor
individuals that have to clear the mess up after a fatality, it's not
nice I have to do it.

Which ever way you look at it, the loss of any human life isn't nice..

The railway is a dangerous environment, mistakes often end in death!
What is the point of putting up signs warning people of danger, for
people to ignore them.

I have no sympathy for the drunkard who decides to walk home along the
railway lines because they have missed the last train. I certainly
don't in the early hours searching the railway lines for body parts.

Suicides, how selfish are they!!! Can't kill themselves, so
traumatise several railway workers by jumping in front of a train and
scattering themselves over the front of a train and along the railway
lines.

Children, yes poor child, but what on earth is an under ten doing out
along near railway lines??? What on earth are the parents thinking
of?? And then they quite blatantly blame the Railway for their childs
death, not because they didn't know where their child was!!!!

The British( not all, but a few) are stuck up our own arses!!!!
Instead of thinking we should be careful, life is precious, we take
risks and when those risks go wrong, it isn't our fault we didn't obey
rules it is always someone else!!!!

Sign says it is dangerous to trespass, so we do it!! Railway Bye Laws
state that one isn't permitted to use the railway if under the
influence of drink, gosh I wish they would enforce this to protect
staff! But people go on the railway drunk or drugged up. Off the
railway, speed signs say that the speed limit is a set speed, many
exceed it. Speed cameras are put in, hell the fuss over them!

I just wish people in Britain would consider that life is a one time
thing, and why take risks with it? And if you do, don't blame others
for your own errors.

I'll get off my soap box now......just had a hell of a night clearing
up another fatality

Enjoy life and spend less time worrying about other peoples life and
the risks they take and those that lose their life through flouting
laid down warnings. The warnings aren't there to make life differcult,
but as a warning yu are putting your life in danger!!!!

Merry Christmas

Christine

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:34:41 GMT, "the REAL Trevor McDonut"
wrote:

"Simon" wrote in message oups.com...
It's not as if it was a tragic accident

Perhaps his family have a different perspective

It's time to face reality - he played his game and lost.

No danger of the Christmas spirit here then

He was knowingly and willingly in the very
wrong place at a very wrong time.....and paid the price

And a happy and prosperous 2006 to you and yours

y'see, exactly what i'm on about. What has Christmas spirit got to do with this event ? Does it make any difference if this
happened in July ?

The guy was trespassing on a live railway and got hit by a train. He was 17 years old. He knew it was a) wrong and b) dangerous
but he still took that decision and got the consequences.

I feel very sorry for his family ( as mentioned ) but at the end of the day, he's an adult ( or as near to it in the eyes of the
law). Do i have to dress it up and pretend i have massive sympathy for HIM simply because it's Christmas ? HIS actions cost him
HIS life. Regardless of date, this guy was a bloody idiot. If your saying that in this week i have to say ' i feel so sorry for
him and maybe it wasn't his FAULT and he was only 17 ' for the sake of Christmas spirit but for the other 51 weeks of the year
it's ok to be truthful, then sorry, i don't buy that.

A happy and properous 2006 to you and yours. My they drive safe and keep of bust railway tracks

Old December 23rd 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
ZB ZB is offline

Rich Mackin wrote:
"JFGrieve" wrote in message
MIG wrote:
People who are interested in railways have been ridiculed for years
(eg the term "trainspotter", for which there is no equivalent for
anyone interested in any other industry).

Well there is 'planespotters' but there has been no suggestion that these
people were enthusiasts.

Lorries as well, especially Eddie Stobart ones.

No Dentressangle every time..
Old December 23rd 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

[...]

maybe it's not a view that ' justice has been served that many find satisfying at least ' and i'm certainly not celebrating this
person's death under a train. I just feel that he was aware of his dangerous surroundings , he knew he shouldn't have been there
and the consequences of being at said place at said time cost him his life. Why should i pity him for his stupidity ?
No celebration that he's dead, just stating my observations. If he had constantly put a loaded gun in his mouth with the safety
catch off for a game or a laugh and it accidentally went off, would you be so condemning of my thoughts or would you say , '
bloody fool , why put a loaded gun in your mouth...how stupid...didn't he know the danger , i've no sympathy for such a lack of
regard' etc etc etc Well whats the difference between the gun/mouth thing or playing on a busy railway ?

Old December 24th 05, 06:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway ZB wrote:
Well there is 'planespotters' but there has been no suggestion that these
people were enthusiasts.

Lorries as well, especially Eddie Stobart ones.

No Dentressangle every time..

Willi Betz!

pete
--
"there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB.
Old December 24th 05, 06:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway CJB wrote:
The 17-year-old was on the tracks at Hanwell Station in west London
when he was struck just after midnight by the 23.54 Heathrow to
Paddington Express.

As ever, my sympathies to the driver and to all the people who had to
deal with the consequences of this blatant and dangerous stupidity.

pete
--
"there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB.
Old December 24th 05, 07:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"JFGrieve" wrote in news:dofdr5$bjo$1
@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

Im glad there are enough of us here to be honest enough to say what
99% are actually thinking, in that this guy got exactly what he
deserved.

Translation: "I have no compassion at all within me, but it's OK
because neither have lots of others."

Read the post

Read it, understood it, replied to it. What's the problem?

Our thoughts should be with the train driver and the network
rail bods who have to pick bits of this guy up spread over a large
area.

Translation: "Naturally, some faux concern for innocent parties always
goes down well, so I'll stick a bit in at this point."

So you don't agree,

No. I'm not one for insincerity.

Im sure the 1% of you sandal wearing, pullover knitting,
yoghart eating lefties will be outraged at this

Translation: "I'd like to take this opportunity to gratuitously abuse
anyone who doesn't share my opinions."

To near the truth!!

To do what?
Oh, did you mean /too/ near? Do you mean you agree, then?

Rick.