Old December 27th 05, 01:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Teenager dies 'playing' on hi-speed track out of Paddington

Yavrukurt, Son of the WOLF ! wrote:
You post in a way that makes slugs and other invertebrates look like
Nobel Prize winners. I suggest you hone your writing skills before
applying borrowed glories as a mere typist.

seansuxscakCAB ?
allday

--
Living the life of a ridiculed, bitchslapped queer,humiliated by gogu
and all Greek posters on usenet, helps Yavru/Yarnat/GAYson,Tinfoil,

Old December 27th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Graffiti and other vandalisms are crimes and generally despicable.
They are not capital offences.

Nobody ever said that they were, although the owner of a house whose side
wall has been 'tagged' three times in the last month might disagree.

People trespassing on railway lines know that there are risks, but
that doesn't mean that they intend (or deserve) to die, any more than
people who cross roads.

Quite true & nobody here said that they should be, buts lets be clear in
most cases they brought the problems on thereselves.

People who are interested in railways have been ridiculed for years
(eg the term "trainspotter", for which there is no equivalent for
anyone interested in any other industry).

Well there is 'planespotters' but there has been no suggestion that these
people were enthusiasts.

Oh dear, been away too long to catch up, but my point was that railway
"enthusiasts" are so used to being ridiculed that this may be why they
feel satisfaction when their industry of interest kills someone who
didn't take it seriously enough. I don't think that the people killed
were enthusiasts.

So we have a tendency to think "hey, our trains are well 'ard; we've
managed to kill another one; that'll show 'em that we ought to be
taken seriously".

Who said that?

I suggested that there was a tendency to think it, not that someone
said it.

But I don't see why our pride in being interested in an industry which
involves dangerous machinery should make us quite so gleeful about
people getting killed by that machinery. I don't think it happens in
other industries.

Please show me a gleeful post in this thread.

"Simon" seems to have done that admirably already.

Old December 27th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
[...]

Take what seriously?

I don't think that the people killed
were enthusiasts.

We don't know what they're enthusiastic about, if anything.

So we have a tendency to think "hey, our trains are well 'ard; we've
managed to kill another one; that'll show 'em that we ought to be
taken seriously".

Who said that?

I suggested that there was a tendency to think it, not that someone
said it.

The only person likely to think that seems to be you.

But I don't see why our pride in being interested in an industry
which involves dangerous machinery should make us quite so gleeful
about people getting killed by that machinery. I don't think it
happens in other industries.

Please show me a gleeful post in this thread.

"Simon" seems to have done that admirably already.

If you think that then you really do have problems with comprehension.

Old December 28th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Brimstone wrote:
MIG wrote:
[...]

The railway industry. What else was I talking about?

I don't think that the people killed
were enthusiasts.

We don't know what they're enthusiastic about, if anything.

Of course we don't. A previous poster misunderstood me to be
suggesting that they were on the railway because they were railway
enthusiasts. I certainly wasn't suggesting that. I was referring to
railway enthusiasts' reaction to people getting killed.

So we have a tendency to think "hey, our trains are well 'ard; we've
managed to kill another one; that'll show 'em that we ought to be
taken seriously".

Who said that?

I suggested that there was a tendency to think it, not that someone
said it.

The only person likely to think that seems to be you.

It's a possible explanation for the evidence in the form of the kind of
messages that get posted here every time someone is killed on the
railway. Even if no one thinks it, it's still a possible explanation.

But I don't see why our pride in being interested in an industry
which involves dangerous machinery should make us quite so gleeful
about people getting killed by that machinery. I don't think it
happens in other industries.

Please show me a gleeful post in this thread.

"Simon" seems to have done that admirably already.

If you think that then you really do have problems with comprehension.

I certainly don't comprehend your comment. Previous posters suggested
that there had been nothing gleeful. "Simon" then challenged this by
quoting many comments from other postings that could be said to be
gleeful or at least satisfied by the fact that these people had been
killed on the railway. There is no need for me to reproduce the same
list of quotes.

Old December 28th 05, 12:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
MIG wrote:
[...]

Do you mean "the industry" or the equipment it uses?

I don't think that the people killed
were enthusiasts.

We don't know what they're enthusiastic about, if anything.

Of course we don't. A previous poster misunderstood me to be
suggesting that they were on the railway because they were railway
enthusiasts. I certainly wasn't suggesting that. I was referring to
railway enthusiasts' reaction to people getting killed.

Like other people, there will be a variety of reactions and views. I suspect
there are many with no interest in the railways at all whose basic attitde
will be "tough ****, shouldn't have been there".

So we have a tendency to think "hey, our trains are well 'ard;
we've managed to kill another one; that'll show 'em that we ought
to be taken seriously".

Who said that?

I suggested that there was a tendency to think it, not that someone
said it.

The only person likely to think that seems to be you.

It's a possible explanation for the evidence in the form of the kind
of messages that get posted here every time someone is killed on the
railway. Even if no one thinks it, it's still a possible explanation.

If something can be imagined then it's possible which significiantly
different to the likelihood of it happening.

But I don't see why our pride in being interested in an industry
which involves dangerous machinery should make us quite so gleeful
about people getting killed by that machinery. I don't think it
happens in other industries.

Please show me a gleeful post in this thread.

"Simon" seems to have done that admirably already.

If you think that then you really do have problems with
comprehension.

I certainly don't comprehend your comment. Previous posters suggested
that there had been nothing gleeful. "Simon" then challenged this by
quoting many comments from other postings that could be said to be
gleeful or at least satisfied by the fact that these people had been
killed on the railway. There is no need for me to reproduce the same
list of quotes.

Sorry I misread you earlier post - ""Simon" seems to have done that
admirably already."

Old December 28th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:54:08 -0000, Brimstone wrote:

MIG wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
MIG wrote:
I don't think that the people killed
were enthusiasts.

We don't know what they're enthusiastic about, if anything.

Of course we don't. A previous poster misunderstood me to be
suggesting that they were on the railway because they were railway
enthusiasts. I certainly wasn't suggesting that. I was referring to
railway enthusiasts' reaction to people getting killed.

Like other people, there will be a variety of reactions and views. I suspect
there are many with no interest in the railways at all whose basic attitde
will be "tough ****, shouldn't have been there".

My reaction is:
Why is there any reaction? People are killed every day on the roads, yet if it's on a railway, all hell breaks loose.

A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.
Old December 29th 05, 12:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:22:24 -0000, "Peter Hucker"
wrote:

My reaction is:
Why is there any reaction? People are killed every day on the roads, yet if it's on a railway, all hell breaks loose.

Does it? I see some waffle here, but no reaction that matters in the
real world.
Old December 29th 05, 03:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

wrote:

My reaction is:
Why is there any reaction? People are killed every day on the roads, yet if it's on a railway, all hell breaks loose.

Does it? I see some waffle here, but no reaction that matters in the
real world.

I've never seen waffle on newsgroups about a road accident. And the media always show train and plane accidents with far more seriousness than road accidents.

/\
/ )
( ))
\|/