Old December 24th 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Teenager dies 'playing' on hi-speed track out of Paddington

"Brimstone" wrote in
:

You have the gift of ability to assess a person's intelligence from a
single piece of data: that he died because of one mistake he made.

What mistake?

Please don't pretend to be obtuse.

Is putting yourself in the path of a fast moving, heavy train that
takes a long time to stop a sensible thing to do?

No, plainly not. Though lots of people do; most of them survive by getting
out of the way in time.

Presumably I'm stupid; my gruesome demise is undoubtedly imminent.

Who can tell.

Can I assume you won't be posting any messages of sympathy?

Rick.

Old December 24th 05, 09:22 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Rick Hughes wrote:
"JFGrieve" wrote in news:dofdr5$bjo$1
@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

Im glad there are enough of us here to be honest enough to say what
99% are actually thinking, in that this guy got exactly what he
deserved.

Translation: "I have no compassion at all within me, but it's OK
because neither have lots of others."

Read the post

Read it, understood it, replied to it. What's the problem?

In my opinion your translation was wrong, compassion does not alter the fact
that he should not have been where he was. If he was walking down the middle
of a motorway & got killed I would feel compassion for him, but I would
still say that his own actions caused the result.

Our thoughts should be with the train driver and the network
rail bods who have to pick bits of this guy up spread over a large
area.

Translation: "Naturally, some faux concern for innocent parties
always goes down well, so I'll stick a bit in at this point."

So you don't agree,

No. I'm not one for insincerity.

Nor am I but the feelings of innocent parties should be recognised.

Im sure the 1% of you sandal wearing, pullover knitting,
yoghart eating lefties will be outraged at this

Translation: "I'd like to take this opportunity to gratuitously
abuse anyone who doesn't share my opinions."

To near the truth!!

To do what?
Oh, did you mean /too/ near? Do you mean you agree, then?

Rick.

I can't find the 'double o' on my keyboard, but back on subject, I was
wondering about your opinion. I myself tend to agree with the original post
that although this was a tragic event it seems that he was the author of his
own misfortunes. Sympathy should go to his relatives & friends but we should
not forget others directly involved, the fact that it happened near
Christmas does not alter the facts.

--
JFG

Old December 24th 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Rick Hughes wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote in
:

You have the gift of ability to assess a person's intelligence from
a single piece of data: that he died because of one mistake he made.

What mistake?

Please don't pretend to be obtuse.

I'm not, I'm trying to clarify your perception.

Is putting yourself in the path of a fast moving, heavy train that
takes a long time to stop a sensible thing to do?

No, plainly not. Though lots of people do; most of them survive by
getting out of the way in time.

Exactly and to fail to move in time is what?
..

Presumably I'm stupid; my gruesome demise is undoubtedly imminent.

Who can tell.

Can I assume you won't be posting any messages of sympathy?

That depends.

Old December 24th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"JFGrieve" wrote in
:

In my opinion your translation was wrong, compassion does not alter
the fact that he should not have been where he was. If he was walking
down the middle of a motorway & got killed I would feel compassion for
him, but I would still say that his own actions caused the result.

No argument there. He shouldn't have been where he was. It was the "He
got what he deserved" that I couldn't agree with.

Nor am I but the feelings of innocent parties should be recognised.

As you wish. I always find such sentiments from those have have no
connection with the parties involved to smack of insincerity, but I'm
probably alone on that one.

I myself tend to agree with the original
post that although this was a tragic event it seems that he was the
author of his own misfortunes. Sympathy should go to his relatives &
friends but we should not forget others directly involved, the fact
that it happened near Christmas does not alter the facts.

If I might say so, a vastly more considered posting than the one from
"Andy" which provoked me initially.

Rick.

Old December 24th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Yavrukurt, Son of the WOLF ! wrote:

CAB ?

You KILLED sct, you poor psychopath, and the poor Turks have no place
where
they could discuss properly!

--
Living the life of a ridiculed, bitchslapped queer on usenet helps
Yavru/Yarnat/GAYson,Tinfoil, forget his fat wife's beatings and

Old December 24th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Pete Fenelon" wrote in message
In uk.railway ZB wrote:
Well there is 'planespotters' but there has been no suggestion that
these
people were enthusiasts.

Lorries as well, especially Eddie Stobart ones.

No Dentressangle every time..

Willi Betz!

How about http://www.lorryspotting.com/

sister site to http://www.railenthusiast.co.uk/

They are only(?) £25 and £40 per annum... Eeeekk

KW

Old December 24th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

DERWENT Teenager dies 'playing' on hi-speed track out of
Paddington
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:24:53 +0000, Rick Hughes

"Brimstone" wrote in
:

Why have compassion for someone who deliberately puts himself in
harm's way whilst damaging your property?

Whether or not you feel any compassion is probably innate; if you don't
have any, I don't suppose it's something you can learn or develop. But
whilst I can't say that I have particular sympathy with this victim (any
more than any of the roundly 2000 other people who died in Britain that day
- I didn't know any of them), I can recognise that his demise is a tragedy
to his friends and family. Can't you?

Well they should have told him that trespassing on the railway at
night was stupid thing to do and that they would be devastated if he
was hit by a train under those circumstances.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett
Old December 24th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Roger R wrote:
However as such a prosecution might just/possibly/remotely damage
mobile phone sales or revenue streams I expect Tony Blair of the
'Labour will always put business first' party have introduced an
exception for vocational drivers. Now I come to think of it, the
number of HGV and van drivers I see using mobile phones confirms this
must be the case. ;-)

Believe it or not, the phone industry is quite keen to promote road
safety. The sales of Bluetooth headsets, and to a lesser extent, car
kits, has given the industry a big source of revenue - from
manufacturing through to retail.

And it doesn't seem to be the, frankly unlikely, chance of getting done
by a cop that is converting people to using headsets. It's the fact
that they're becoming acceptable, and even fashionable (see the new
stuff from Jabra and Plantronics). Thus, like 'having' to own an iPod
or Sony PSP, people have decided that they must have/be seen with a
headset. Ironically, this is going to get more people driving safe than
legislation. In time, drivers may begin to realise that it's actually a
lot easier not having to hold a phone to your ear.

The next argument is whether people should talk at ALL when driving,
but that's another argument for another day!!

Jonathan

Old December 25th 05, 06:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

PRAR wrote in
:

Well they should have told him that trespassing on the railway at
night was stupid thing to do and that they would be devastated if he
was hit by a train under those circumstances.

Merry Christmas.

Rick.
Old December 26th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:41:37 -0000, CJB wrote:

Teenager dies 'playing' on hi-speed track out of Paddington

A teenager was killed when he was hit by a high-speed train, police
said.

The 17-year-old was on the tracks at Hanwell Station in west London
when he was struck just after midnight by the 23.54 Heathrow to
Paddington Express.

Four other youths who were with him managed to get out of the way of
the train which travels up to 100mph. The victim's relatives have yet
to be told.

The incident closed the line for about two hours and some passengers
had to be bussed home - [according to the BBC web site. Actually it was
more likely 400 from Paddington alone, and it took FGW/FGWL two and
half hours to arrange one bus and one coach for those stranded to
Reading and Oxford].

A British Transport Police spokesman said the four youths [who
survived] will be questioned on Thursday but they are not treating the
death as suspicious. [Like they should have been on the tracks in the
middle of the night in the first place?]

"We think it is a tragic case of kids playing on the tracks," the
spokesman said. [Er - excuse me - 'playing' - what games do kids 'play'
on high speed railway tracks in the middle of the night?]

Chicken.

That area has also been hit recently with yet more heavy graffiti
including all over the newly decorated Hanwell Station.

With the sun beginning to rise, the cabin of the jetliner was suddenly illuminated.
"Who turned on the ****ing lights?" a male passenger, who had been surly since boarding, snarled at a stewardess.
The girl had had enough of this particular character. "These are the breakfast lights, sir," she answered with forced sweetness.
"The ****ing lights are much dimmer, and you snored right through them."