Old December 22nd 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube strike 31st Dec

Do they really believe that striking 31st December is going to get the
respect of the general public?

Old December 22nd 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"elyob" wrote in message
Do they really believe that striking 31st December is going to get the
respect of the general public?

Certainly make the current dispute high profile!

Old December 22nd 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin Mayes wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message
Do they really believe that striking 31st December is going to get
the respect of the general public?

Certainly make the current dispute high profile!

Perhaps you can explain what this current dispute is all about, as the
LU and RMT statements taken together don't add up. The RMT talks about
hundreds of "displacement notices", which I assume are notices telling
staff that they are being moved to different jobs. I can understand the
union being annoyed (but not to the extent of calling a strike on New
Year's Eve) if this has been done without full consultation, but the
primary reason for the strike is allegedly because the staff movements
constitute "a massive cull of safety-critical front-line staff".

But LU say that there will be no overall cut in staff numbers, and that
some staff are "being redeployed from ticket offices to station
platforms and ticket halls, which can also boost reassurance for our
passengers and security". So what are these safety-critical front-line
jobs that the RMT says are being withdrawn?

http://www.rmt.org.uk/C2B/PressOffic...ID=1807&Type=2
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=633

--
Richard J.

Old December 22nd 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

elyob wrote:
Do they really believe that striking 31st December is going to get the
respect of the general public?

I don't think the general "mustn't-grumble public will really give a
stuff, will it? It would take a massive disaster on unprecented levels
- such as the death of many ten thousands of londoners through
terrorism - for them to do anything more than scratch their arses and
really make some permanent changes. After all, they did things like
vote Labour and Ken Livingston *recreationally*. They'll grumble about
this, and then just ignore it. (Or do like me, and leave altogether.)

Old December 22nd 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew Thomas wrote:
elyob wrote:
Do they really believe that striking 31st December is going to get the
respect of the general public?

I don't think the general "mustn't-grumble public will really give a
stuff, will it? It would take a massive disaster on unprecented levels
- such as the death of many ten thousands of londoners through
terrorism - for them to do anything more than scratch their arses and
really make some permanent changes

I don't see how striking *against* having *more* staff visible on
platforms is going to do anything to stop the deaths of londoners from
terrorism. Can you explain that to me?

Is the strike maybe because ex ticket office staff might have to go
outside onto the cold platform and help people? That may be a valid
thing to be unhappy about, but not something to have a strike over
"safety" about!

I'm glad I cycle now

Old December 23rd 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris! wrote:

I don't see how striking *against* having *more* staff visible on
platforms is going to do anything to stop the deaths of londoners from
terrorism. Can you explain that to me?

That's what I was thinking. A strike about the redeployments because
staff don't want a longer commute or to be redeployed to different
roles is one thing, and may or may not be justified. I cannot see how
the number of ticket office staff is in any way related to safety;
indeed, many underground systems worldwide don't *have* ticket offices
at all. I therefore get the feeling they are very much making the
wrong call with this one, and are diluting the "safety" card rather
than saving it for when it is really needed.

Neil

Old December 23rd 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
oups.com...
Chris! wrote:

I don't see how striking *against* having *more* staff visible on
platforms is going to do anything to stop the deaths of londoners from
terrorism. Can you explain that to me?

That's what I was thinking. A strike about the redeployments because
staff don't want a longer commute or to be redeployed to different
roles is one thing, and may or may not be justified. I cannot see how
the number of ticket office staff is in any way related to safety;
indeed, many underground systems worldwide don't *have* ticket offices
at all. I therefore get the feeling they are very much making the
wrong call with this one, and are diluting the "safety" card rather
than saving it for when it is really needed.

They have to call it, though, as the RMT agreed to LU's actions, only now
they're having second thoughts, so they just all start crying "safety! ooh
safety!" and go home early.

Neil

Old December 23rd 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mal wrote:
Where is Boltar?????

Didn't see the point on commenting on it. Everyone knows my views and
if I posted what I really thought about Bob Crowe and his performing
monkey Bobby Law I'd probably be done for libel.

Suffice to say it seems to me that the sort of people who join the RMT
are nothing but whinging work shy scum who are quite happy to shaft
everyone to get what they want. A dose of the real world instead of
their cosy unionised protectorate where theres always someone to
pick up the toys they throw out of their ptam would be one hell of
an eye opener for them. I'll be moving offices next year in my job.
If I don't like the location I always have the option to resign. So do
they. (Oh yeah , theres that spurious safety argument they dreamt up
down the put as well. If its that important why isn't Aslef balloting
too then
and the whole workforce walking out?)

B2003

Old December 23rd 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mal wrote:
[...]

If you want to know why ASLEF isn't balloting you haven't read what it's all
about.