Old December 29th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default TOC for best London Gold Card benefits?

I need a single zone annual travelcard (Zone 2), and will buy one on either
Friday or Saturday to beat the price rise and the impending necessity to
purchase more than one zone.

I also prefer paper over plastic, so will be purchasing from a National Rail
Station.

Does anyone know which TOC offers the most fringe benefits with a Gold Card?
I know SWT used to do some free weekend travel, and I think WAGN did some
other offers at one point, but don't where the current offers are to be
located.

Thanks in advance

(I couldn't locate a thread where this has been recently discussed -
apologies if I have actually missed one!)

Old December 29th 05, 06:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Neil Watson" wrote in message
I need a single zone annual travelcard (Zone 2), and will buy one on either
Friday or Saturday to beat the price rise and the impending necessity to
purchase more than one zone.

I also prefer paper over plastic, so will be purchasing from a National
Rail
Station.

Does anyone know which TOC offers the most fringe benefits with a Gold
Card?
I know SWT used to do some free weekend travel, and I think WAGN did some
other offers at one point, but don't where the current offers are to be
located.

SWT is still offering 6 free weekend (incl Fri/bank holiday) one day passes
on their trains only.

Old December 30th 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Nicks
writes

"Neil Watson" wrote in message
I need a single zone annual travelcard (Zone 2), and will buy one on either
Friday or Saturday to beat the price rise and the impending necessity to
purchase more than one zone.

I also prefer paper over plastic, so will be purchasing from a
National Rail Station.

Does anyone know which TOC offers the most fringe benefits with a Gold
Card?
I know SWT used to do some free weekend travel, and I think WAGN did some
other offers at one point, but don't where the current offers are to be
located.

SWT is still offering 6 free weekend (incl Fri/bank holiday) one day passes
on their trains only.

Thameslink offer free weekend travel on any of their trains for you and
one other person. http://www.thameslink.co.uk/main.php?page_id=149
I did speak to them and this offer is valid until the end of their
franchise (i.e. end of March 2006), but no guarantees whether it will
continue thereafter.

C2C offer a "Weekend Ranger" pass for the travelcard holder + some
companions (I can remember how many; it's between 1 and 4) for UKP2.50
each on all C2C, Silverlink and WAGN services; however each time you
want the Weekend Ranger pass you would have to buy this at Limehouse
Station and I'm not too sure whether they still sell paper tickets or
are Oyster only. http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/work/cc.html
In the early days of offering these tickets they sent the annual season
ticket holders the details but forgot to tell the station staff how to
issue the tickets - or that they were even available! (all sorted now
however). Again WAGN and Silverlink are going, so I'm not too sure what
will happen thereafter.

--
Paul G
Typing from Barking
Old December 30th 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

want the Weekend Ranger pass you would have to buy this at Limehouse
Station and I'm not too sure whether they still sell paper tickets or are Oyster only.
http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/work/cc.html

Limehouse and Fenchurch Street have paper and Oyster ticket issuing.

Old December 30th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Neil Watson wrote:
I think WAGN did some other offers at one point

Wagn offers 4 free first class vouchers, for travel anywhere on their
own network (note, Wagn only - none of the other London Lines network,
or One). They're only meant for a return journey, but they're stamped
with the date and it seems you can use them like a rover for the day.

One person must have a season ticket, so you can't give them all away.
As you're in first class, you'll need to use a voucher for yourself
even if you're travelling within your season ticket area (assuming it's
not 1st class, for the pedantic uk.r members!).

You also get a voucher for 20% off at most outlets at Kings Cross,
Euston and some other mainline stations (I think). Not valid at places
like Cambridge or anywhere else, but you only need to show the Gold
Card and places give you the discount. Thus ANYONE at Kings Cross with
an annual season can get the discount even if they don't know about it.

So, all in all, Wagn aren't giving much away. They tell me you can't
even pay £3 to upgrade to first class at off-peak times. You must pay
the difference in the fare.

When First takes over, it's hardly going to get worse! Staff might even
get a bit more than some tea and biscuits as a Christmas gift (perhaps
a return to M&S vouchers?). We shall see!

Jonathan

Old January 1st 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
ups.com...
Neil Watson wrote:
I think WAGN did some other offers at one point

When First takes over, it's hardly going to get worse! Staff might even
get a bit more than some tea and biscuits as a Christmas gift (perhaps
a return to M&S vouchers?). We shall see!

Jonathan

Well here on First Great Western we got the same as you, but without the tea
and biscuits!

A Railman