Old July 23rd 03, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
s c s c is offline

Default DLR website updated recently?

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it looks like the DLR have
updated the 'Development' part of their website to include all the new
developments under consideration (for a long time now, the only ones
they had on their with the City Airport Link, the Woolwich Arsenal
link and the new Heron Quays station).

So, on the site now you can find out their plans for, as well as the
ones mentioned above:

Stratford International Link
Barking/Dagenham Link
Capacity Enhancement (running 3 cars instead of 2 from Bank-
Lewisham)
New Stratford station (this is to replace the existing Stratford
Station and is not part of the Stratford International Link).

People who might have an interest in some or all of these should check
it out - they've already done the public consultation on the Capacity
Enhancement but I'm sure they'll be doing one soon of the Stratford
International and Barking/Dagenham links and you might want to give
your opinion - for example, the Stratford International link will be
taking over the current NLL from Canning Town to Stratford - if you
use that service (to further destinations) you'll be losing it.

The DLR website is at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr

Oh - and talking about the DLR, I noticed this morning going through
Greenwich station that they've rebranded it with the new turquoise
signs etc. But, rather than just say 'Greenwich' on them, they've
tried to be more helpful and so they say 'Greenwich (for Connex)'.
So, they'll all have to be replaced in about 6 months time - what's
the likelihood of the new company running that franchise keeping the
Connex name?

Old July 23rd 03, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

s c writes
So, they'll all have to be replaced in about 6 months time - what's the
likelihood of the new company running that franchise keeping the Connex
name?

About the same likelihood as your local Tesco supermarket closing down
and a new company moving in - but carrying on trading as Tesco.

Connex is the name of the company operating the franchise - and they are
a worldwide transportation company.

(It's different for Thameslink though, as that name is owned by the SRA
- so no matter who operates the service, it's still likely to be called
Thameslink.)

--
Dave
Old July 23rd 03, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , s c
writes
what's the likelihood of the new company running that franchise keeping
the Connex name?

When Connex South Central lost the contract for Sussex/Hampshire/Dorest.
The first thing the new company did was scrub off the word "Connex" from
all the trains.
--
CJG
Old July 24th 03, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG wrote in message ...
In message , s c
writes
what's the likelihood of the new company running that franchise keeping
the Connex name?

When Connex South Central lost the contract for Sussex/Hampshire/Dorest.
The first thing the new company did was scrub off the word "Connex" from
all the trains.

You know that probably isnt just vanity on the part of the new
franchisee, I bet they'd be on dodgy ground legally if they didn't
remove the name within a reasonable time.
Old July 24th 03, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford International (was DLR website updated recently?)

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote:

SNIPPED

This "assumption" leaves at least two major questions unanswered:

- what arrangements are envisaged for terminating NLL trains at Stratford
once the present NLL platforms are occupied by DLR services running via West
Ham?

So far as the NLL is concerned, ISTM that the obvious solution would be to
terminate the line in the very-little-used through Platform 12 (after
addition of an adjacent terminal bay platform 13 on the site of the former
siding), with operation at 25 kV through to/from Hackney Wick. These
platforms would provide part of the pedestrian route between Stratford
International and the existing Stratford interchange station.

My impression is that the NLL services proceed to the Lea Valley
platforms and continue up the Lea Valley line to Tottenham Hale etc.
Look at the blue lines on the maps in options 1,2,3 on the route
appraisal page:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/developmen..._appraisal.htm

Angus

Old July 24th 03, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:24:44 +0100, Angus Bryant wrote:

My impression is that the NLL services proceed to the Lea Valley
platforms and continue up the Lea Valley line to Tottenham Hale etc.
Look at the blue lines on the maps in options 1,2,3 on the route
appraisal page:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/developmen..._appraisal.htm

is the service likely to be reduced when they bring the ELL into operation?

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r
Old July 24th 03, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

u n d e r a c h i e v e r
writes
My impression is that the NLL services proceed to the Lea Valley
platforms and continue up the Lea Valley line to Tottenham Hale etc.
Look at the blue lines on the maps in options 1,2,3 on the route
appraisal page:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/developmen..._appraisal.htm

is the service likely to be reduced when they bring the ELL into
operation?

The current service is every 15 mins Richmond-Stratford isn't it? With
trains alternate trains continuing to North Woolwich? It already seems
pretty busy me on the few occasions I have used the service recently.
So I don't see how they could justify reducing the NLL service -
especially as the only section that both lines will serve is between
Canonbury and Highbury & Islington.

When the ELL is extended to H&I [1], 8 trains per hour are proposed -
with the existing 4 trains per hour, that means 12 trains per hour (or
one every 3 mins). I should hope that the infrastructure should be able
to cope with that.

[1] Trains will run almost as far as Caledonian Road & Barnsbury station
in order to reverse.
--
Dave
Old July 24th 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave wrote:

[...]

Is the Dalston Jc - Camden Rd section going to be expanded to 4 track
all the way? I'd have thought this would be sensible in order to
increase capacity along this stretch, though I suppose this depends on
how many freights are planned every hour through here. If the ELL is
extended to Finsbury Park (although there's no mention of this either
way on the ELL site) then those trains will have to cross the NLL on the
flat.

Angus
Old July 24th 03, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan \(in Brussels\)" wrote in message ...

It was assumed that a DLR extension would necessitate the conversion of
he North London Line south of Stratford to DLR operation.*

This "assumption" leaves at least two major questions unanswered:

- what arrangements are envisaged for terminating NLL trains at Stratford
once the present NLL platforms are occupied by DLR services running via West
Ham?

I've read somewhere (possibly elsewhere on the DLR site) that new
platforms for the NLL would be provided on the north side of Stratford
Station - and that the service might also be extended from there to
Tottenham Hale, presumably via the Lee Valley line. Also that the NLL
route south of Canning Town would be abandoned.

- what arrangements are envisaged for terminating DLR trains running to
Stratford via Bow Church in that case?

Presumably they'll stay more or less where they are - on the
'enhancements' page of the DLR site it says that 'DLR has begun work
investigating the realignment and reconstruction of Stratford DLR
Platforms' and this is due to be completed by 2006. This appears to
be a separate project from the extension to Stratford International.

So far as the NLL is concerned, ISTM that the obvious solution would be to
terminate the line in the very-little-used through Platform 12 (after
addition of an adjacent terminal bay platform 13 on the site of the former
siding), with operation at 25 kV through to/from Hackney Wick. These
platforms would provide part of the pedestrian route between Stratford
International and the existing Stratford interchange station.

It occurs to me that another possibility for a pedestrian link to the
International Station could make use of the old subways, locked up &
abandoned for the last few years, leading from the original station
entrance. These tunnels are, AFAIK, still connected to most of the
existing platforms and to the new station entrance. Another subway
served as a staff-access to the loco depots, and is presumably still
partially intact - at least within the existing station site.
Consideration may also need to be given to pedestrian routes (for
non-passengers) linking the current Stratford town-centre to the
proposed 'Stratford City' developments surrounding the international
station.
Old July 24th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave
writes
When the ELL is extended to H&I [1], 8 trains per hour are proposed -
with the existing 4 trains per hour, that means 12 trains per hour (or
one every 3 mins).

Um: one every *five* minutes.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: