Old February 13th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Choc off

"MIG" wrote in message
ps.com...

That was when Nestle was down Bath way somewhere, before they took over
Rowntrees in York, and then closed that down.

Fry's, part of Cadbury's were on the banks of the River Bristol Avon in
Keynsham spelled K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Bristol.. Sorry to Horace Batchelor.. Got
carried away just then.

Paynes Popets.. Thats what I remember from Station Vending Machines and
Aluminium nameplates!

Ken Ward, Bolton.

Old February 13th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Joel Rowbottom wrote:

Does that *09# trick still work? I *think* it was that anyway, used to
come back with "EVERYTHING OK!" on the machines...

Is that similar to the 42314 trick on a coke machine? (press 4th
selection from the top, then second, etc.).

Old February 13th 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Richard Hunt" wrote

Rowntree's works were rail-connected, and I think remained so until the
mid-late 1980s.

It had its own station, with a train from/to York at the beginning/end of
the main daytime shift. This also, IIRC, lasted until the 1980s.

Peter

Old February 13th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

MIG wrote:

That was when Nestle was down Bath way somewhere, before they took
over Rowntrees in York, and then closed that down.

Nestle's UK head office used to be in Croydon.

True, but there was (maybe still is) a factory down West.

You're probably thinking of Somerdale near Keynsham. It's Cadbury's
these days, but was originally Fry's.
Old February 13th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Matthew Sylvester wrote:
MIG wrote:

That was when Nestle was down Bath way somewhere, before they took
over Rowntrees in York, and then closed that down.
Nestle's UK head office used to be in Croydon.

True, but there was (maybe still is) a factory down West.

You're probably thinking of Somerdale near Keynsham. It's Cadbury's
these days, but was originally Fry's.

It would have been somewhere more northeast of Bath. I'm sure it was
Nestle. Not near any town. (I should try on uk.chocolate.factory.)

Old February 13th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

MIG wrote:
Matthew Sylvester wrote:
MIG wrote:

That was when Nestle was down Bath way somewhere, before they took
over Rowntrees in York, and then closed that down.
Nestle's UK head office used to be in Croydon.
True, but there was (maybe still is) a factory down West.

You're probably thinking of Somerdale near Keynsham. It's Cadbury's
these days, but was originally Fry's.

It would have been somewhere more northeast of Bath. I'm sure it was
Nestle. Not near any town. (I should try on uk.chocolate.factory.)

Staverton. Seems I misremembered a bit. Anyway, there are a lot more
locations than I realised, but I don't think this one was ex-Rowntree.

http://www.nestle.co.uk/AboutNestle/NestleLocations/

But it's not quite as shown on their map. More east-south-east of
Bath, near Bradford on Avon.

Old February 13th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

MIG wrote:

Staverton. Seems I misremembered a bit. Anyway, there are a lot more
locations than I realised, but I don't think this one was ex-Rowntree.

That was a chilled dessert plant, rather than a chocolate factory as
such. It's been under threat of closure recently, with production moving
to France.
Old February 14th 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Epicentre
writes
Spelt K - E - Y - N - S - H - A - M (for anyone who remembers Radio
Luxembourg after lights out!!)

And Horace Bachelor with his amazing infrdraw method. Whatever type of
con that was.
--
Clive
Old February 14th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article ,
Clive wrote:
Spelt K - E - Y - N - S - H - A - M (for anyone who remembers Radio
Luxembourg after lights out!!)

And Horace Bachelor with his amazing infrdraw method. Whatever type of
con that was.

I think that it was very simple. As I understand it he just sent out
sections from a complete "permutation" to individual customers - and some
of them came up well enough for him to boast.

Mathematically, of course, it's a **combination** rather than a
permutation; the order in which matches are picked doesn't count.

--
David Wild using RISC OS on broadband