Old February 11th 06, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Choc off

Has anyone else noticed, *all* of the chocolate vending machines on Tube
platforms, certainly in zone 1, have been taken out of use. Anyone know why?
My best guess is that the company which services/restocks them has ceased
trading.

The problem with the present business model for vending machines, is that
the machines have become *too* reliable. Going back 20 years (remembering
childhood trips with grandparents who liked to spoil me), the machines were
programmed to 'eat the money but not dispense the product' for one in three
attempts. It was like a cruel lottery, but the profit margins must have been
good.

Chris

(ps on a choccy theme, Whistlestop, at various London terminals, are now the
only stockists I can find for the elusive plain chocolate Bounty bar.)

Old February 11th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Chris Read" typed

Has anyone else noticed, *all* of the chocolate vending machines on Tube
platforms, certainly in zone 1, have been taken out of use. Anyone know why?
My best guess is that the company which services/restocks them has ceased
trading.

The problem with the present business model for vending machines, is that
the machines have become *too* reliable. Going back 20 years (remembering
childhood trips with grandparents who liked to spoil me), the machines were
programmed to 'eat the money but not dispense the product' for one in three
attempts. It was like a cruel lottery, but the profit margins must have been
good.

Chris

(ps on a choccy theme, Whistlestop, at various London terminals, are now the
only stockists I can find for the elusive plain chocolate Bounty bar.)

I think many are operated by Cadbury who I believe have not ceased trading.

Theye are also good about sending refunds if you report having lost
money. 0800 223879 is the number to ring.

Maybe the machines are being replaced, maybe...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 11th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:09:42 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Read"
wrote:

Has anyone else noticed, *all* of the chocolate vending machines on Tube
platforms, certainly in zone 1, have been taken out of use. Anyone know why?

I don't but I intend to ask at work on Monday. I haven't seen any
announcements.

My best guess is that the company which services/restocks them has ceased
trading.

As it is Cadburys that service and stock them I think we'd have heard if
they'd gone bust!

There could be a huge range of issues as to why every machine has had to
be switched off. I'm not aware that the drinks machines - part of the
same contract - have been switched off so perhaps there is a specific
issue with the chocolate machines themselves. I'll see if I can an
answer on Monday.
--
Paul C

Old February 11th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"Chris Read" typed

[...]

Perhaps they think that they are a terriorist risk!

tim

Old February 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
.. .
Chris Read wrote:
The problem with the present business model for vending machines, is
that the machines have become *too* reliable. Going back 20 years
(remembering childhood trips with grandparents who liked to spoil
me), the machines were programmed to 'eat the money but not dispense
the product' for one in three attempts. It was like a cruel lottery,
but the profit margins must have been good.

35 years ago, I knew of a vending machine that was rather generous from
time to time. It just dispensed ordinary chocolate bars. However, it was
stuck on a wall in such a position as to get the full afternoon sun in
midsummer. This, of course, meant that the chocolate melted. It also
meant that when your money had gone in the slot and you pulled the tray
out, two melted bars occupied the space of one solid bar.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12598512.html
(37 219 and 37 220 at Gloucester Central, 8 Jun 1985)

We had one about the same time that was very generous once and didnt ask for
any money. To a bunch of 13 yr olds this was a delight. A week later we all
had to receive a questioning and lecture from 2 detectives at our local
police station.

It must have been a socially well-connected machine.
Simon

Old February 11th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"tim (in Sweden)" wrote in message

[...]

Funnily enough, I was looking forward to a choccy bar at Bristol late last
night ( delayed because the `Murco' split between Wickwar & Charfield ) and
strangely ALL the vending machines have been removed.

Old February 11th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Chris Read" typed

[...]

My experience is that Cadburys deny any involvement with the machines,
it is just their products that are in them. Also, the phone number is
a paid one and charges you for waiting but isn't answered.

(The first in answer to a sarcastic letter from me about the legality
of placing such tempting gambling machines in places where young
children are allowed.)

Both these things may have changed, but the history of the machines is
so bad that I wouldn't dream of touching one.

Old February 12th 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

The problem with the present business model for vending machines, is that
the machines have become *too* reliable.

Funny that. I gave up using them due to money just being swallowed. As
recently as a couple of weeks ago, I saw a couple of people having the
smae problem (at Oxford Circus I think) and I took to advising people
not to put their money in.

The occasional Coke machines are still working, though.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old February 12th 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Theye are also good about sending refunds if you report having lost
money. 0800 223879 is the number to ring.

They've always been pretty good with me - I think my failure rate on
those chocolate machines is probably around 90%.

Taking the best part of 2-3 minutes to vend is a bit of an evil trick
though - you do have to hope the arrival times are reasonably accurate!

Does that *09# trick still work? I *think* it was that anyway, used to
come back with "EVERYTHING OK!" on the machines...

--
Joel Rowbottom, Chief Bespectacled Village Idiot @ Fotopic.Net
18M+ photos :: 215+ countries :: Free gallery at http://fotopic.net
Old February 12th 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

James Farrar wrote:

The occasional Coke machines are still working, though.

Never had any success from those either

Coke machine: http://nokia.fotopic.net/p8279388.html

Cadbury machine: http://nokia.fotopic.net/p7005745.html

--
Joel Rowbottom, Chief Bespectacled Village Idiot @ Fotopic.Net
18M+ photos :: 215+ countries :: Free gallery at http://fotopic.net
FotopicPlus for a fiver - upgrade before 16th Feb and get it cheap!
Special birthday offer: http://fotopic.net/about/birthday.php