Old February 15th 06, 02:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Following on from the anagram tube map...

Stuart wrote:
Mark Brader wrote:

Their coverage of my part of the world is fine. Maybe you guys need to
move to a country important enough to be mapped properly. :-)

Or we could just use http://www.multimap.co.uk which does the job far
better

Not very much better as it also thinks Britannia Crescent exists:
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...e epicon=true

Old February 15th 06, 06:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

I'm often far less than impressed by the Tele Atlas data.

There's a list of nearly 50 claimed errors in London N6 alone at:

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.p...topic&p=119867

(scroll down to the post from Peter Kessler)!

--
Paul Terry
Old February 15th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Sharky wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Mark Brader wrote:

Their coverage of my part of the world is fine. Maybe you guys
need to move to a country important enough to be mapped properly.
:-)

Or we could just use http://www.multimap.co.uk which does the job far
better

Not very much better as it also thinks Britannia Crescent exists:
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...e epicon=true

It claims it's in postcode N612 4xx, which is an invalid postcode
format!

I'm pleased to see that Streetmap, which I always prefer to Multimap,
doesn't recognise Britannia Crescent as a street in London. Nor does
the postcode directory. The nearest one is in Colchester.
--
Richard J.

Old February 16th 06, 01:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, John Rowland wrote:

... the misnamed street map.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.5767...09975,0.019956

I know Highgate rather well, and approximately 50% of the street names
in this map are wrong. The renaming of Archway Road as Britannia
Crescent is a particular gem. Is Google maps generally this bad, or was
the data set for Highgate produced by someone who was just about to
quit?

I'm often far less than impressed by the Tele Atlas data.

The silver lining, of course, is that when the rampant Google
superintelligent AI, having decided our fate in a microsecond, sends out
its legions of death machines, they'll get lost, and we'll be spared.

Death machines???? Considering what search engines are popularly used
for, wouldn't it be more likely to send out its legions of sex machines?

Yes, I know "sex" has long since been overtaken by "mp3" but soon
everyone will have mp3 machines anyway...

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk
Old February 17th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Paul Terry wrote in
:

In message , Tom
Anderson writes

I'm often far less than impressed by the Tele Atlas data.

There's a list of nearly 50 claimed errors in London N6 alone at:

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.p...viewtopic&p=11
9867

The best Google Maps mistake that I know of (and particularly apt for
uk.transport groups) is

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...7,0.03798&spn=
0.018497,0.032873
and
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...-0.109262&spn=
0.037002,0.037766

Woodford and Wood Green stations appear to have been transposed. Still
it's an easy enough mistake to make I suppose, as they're only 11km or
so apart from each other and on totally different tube lines

Iain