Old April 9th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mill Hill East

In message .com,
Boltar writes
These are just a few random thoughts why I think it would never happen.

Never seemed to bother them with the Aldwych and Epping-Ongar shuttles.
Where theres a will theres a way, though with most LU management and
staff wills are generally in short supply it seems to me.

Oh, I've no doubt it could be done. Who is going to be able to justify
that sort of expenditure though?

What was being suggested was running a 6 car train as a 3 car to save
some money. I was suggesting that the money it would cost to effect
would probably far exceed the saving in electricity that has been
alluded to.

Old April 10th 06, 03:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Of course some of that section would have to be underground, and
therefore more expensive. However, undergrounding has its own advantage:
the line can be on a straighter faster alignment.

Presumably it would be build on yellow brick so Dorothy , Lion and
Tinman could stroll down it after operating hours just to complete the
fantasy?

Just because I'm posting from Oz doesn't mean I'm off to see the wizard!

As I said before, this is one long term plan from my website. It's aim
is to reduce overcrowding by providing peole in North London with an
alternative route to the WCML (and Watford, which is an important
destination in its own right) that does not require detouring into
Central London. It would increase traffic on some of the least busy
parts of the UndergrounD and would even reduce congestion on part of the
M25.

But although the benefits would be great, so would the costs. I'm well
aware that there would have to be a lot of tunnelling involved, although
Mill Hill Broadway is the only station that would have to be constructed
in tunnel, so it would not be as expensive as you might imagine. I have
assumed costs would be kept under control because there *are* ways of
keeping costs under control, and my website outlines how to keep costs
under control when constructing Crossrail.

I'm certainly not saying the line should be constructed immediately - I
said it should be a branch of Crossrail Line 2, and mentioned that this
branch would be a lower priority than Crossrail Line 3. I can think of
several other lines that are more urgently needed too. But this thread
is about Mill Hill East, so I posted what I think they should do with it
immediately (shuttle service doubling frequency) and what they should do
with it eventually. Ideas for future railways can sometimes be improved
by bouncing them off other people.

Do you have any better ideas?

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk

Old April 10th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Tom
Anderson writes
Moorgate is a stone's throw from Liverpool Street anyway - it's a
shorter walk between them than between some of the more distant
platforms at Bank, i'd say.

Looking in an atlas, Moorgate to LS is at least twice as far as the
furthest walk between platforms at Bank.

Maybe as the crow flies; certainly not on the number of steps needed, I
would think. Moorgate to LS is a short straight walk; Monument
District to Bank Central is a winding maze of up escalators, round
corners, down escalators, then up escalators again, etc. etc. Although
maybe being underground the whole way makes it feel longer as well.

Patrick

Old April 10th 06, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Steve Fitzgerald
] writes
No, there wouldn't. The Northern Line trains are 3-car units, coupled
in pairs to make 6-car trains. You could run a single unit as the
shuttle.

Except the trains are formed with UNDMs at the inner ends of the units

Ah, I hadn't realized that (despite riding them most days). I'm not a
rolling stock weenie.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old April 10th 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Steve Fitzgerald
] writes
Except the trains are formed with UNDMs at the inner ends of the units

Ah, I hadn't realized that (despite riding them most days). I'm not a
rolling stock weenie.

Would HMRI have kittens over a 4 car A stock train or similar sharing
the track with passenger tube stock? I suspect that there may be
a couple going spare when the ELX gets new stock.

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.
Old April 10th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Steve Fitzgerald
] writes
Except the trains are formed with UNDMs at the inner ends of the
units

Ah, I hadn't realized that (despite riding them most days). I'm
not a rolling stock weenie.

Would HMRI have kittens over a 4 car A stock train or similar
sharing the track with passenger tube stock? I suspect that there
may be a couple going spare when the ELX gets new stock.

And where do you propose servicing this 45-year-old stock, once you have
taken it by road to the Mill Hill East branch?

--
Richard J.

Old April 10th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:38:36 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Would HMRI have kittens over a 4 car A stock train or similar
sharing the track with passenger tube stock? I suspect that there
may be a couple going spare when the ELX gets new stock.

And where do you propose servicing this 45-year-old stock, once you have
taken it by road to the Mill Hill East branch?

Highgate depot? Or is that not feasible (due to the stock being
different, or for some other reason)?