Old April 30th 06, 12:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cheaper DLR travel for people from Newham?

I was reading a local rag that popped through the door (that has since
annoyingly been binned by mistake before I got the chance to finish it) and
it mentioned the fact that Newham residents can now get cheaper travel on
the DLR as long as you don't go into Zone 1 (ie Bank/Tower Gateway).

Something about it being £1.50 for a DLR-only travelcard or something?

What's that about? I'm a Newham resident. Sounds interesting.

Apparently this offer isn't open to residents from other boroughs. Is that
true?

I wish I still had the article, or remember even where I saw it!

Old April 30th 06, 01:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:

I was reading a local rag that popped through the door (that has since
annoyingly been binned by mistake before I got the chance to finish it)
and
it mentioned the fact that Newham residents can now get cheaper travel on
the DLR as long as you don't go into Zone 1 (ie Bank/Tower Gateway).

Something about it being £1.50 for a DLR-only travelcard or something?

What's that about? I'm a Newham resident. Sounds interesting.

I've heard nothing about this at all. Mind you our letterbox is not easy to
access.

Old April 30th 06, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

I was reading a local rag that popped through the door (that has since
annoyingly been binned by mistake before I got the chance to finish it)
and
it mentioned the fact that Newham residents can now get cheaper travel on
the DLR as long as you don't go into Zone 1 (ie Bank/Tower Gateway).

Something about it being £1.50 for a DLR-only travelcard or something?

What's that about? I'm a Newham resident. Sounds interesting.

Apparently this offer isn't open to residents from other boroughs. Is
that
true?

I wish I still had the article, or remember even where I saw it!

Typical Newham Recorder not letting the truth get in the way of a story.
Cash DLR-only singles in zones 2 and 3 are sold at £1.50 no matter where in
the world you are resident. Note the asterix next to the £3 tube fare on
this page:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick.../tubedlr.shtml. The
motivation for the difference in price probably does have something to do
with the fact that the DLR goes through some very deprived parts of Tower
Hamlets and Newham but you don't have to prove residency to benefit.

Old April 30th 06, 05:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . 145,
Tristán White writes

I was reading a local rag that popped through the door (that has since
annoyingly been binned by mistake before I got the chance to finish it) and
it mentioned the fact that Newham residents can now get cheaper travel on
the DLR as long as you don't go into Zone 1 (ie Bank/Tower Gateway).

Something about it being £1.50 for a DLR-only travelcard or something?

What's that about? I'm a Newham resident. Sounds interesting.

http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/latest_ne...ils.asp?id=104

Its not a travelcard - just a single ticket (and more expensive than pay
as you go Oyster).

Apparently this offer isn't open to residents from other boroughs. Is
that true?

No - its just a local (paper) ticket.

--
Paul Terry
Old April 30th 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

TKD wrote:
[...]

Isn't it more to do with the fact that you can't buy or top up an
Oyster at a DLR station, so they can't very well charge you the
punitive £3 for not using Oyster?

It's annoying that I could get on the DLR at Lewisham or Greenwich and
pay £1.50 to get all the way to Stratford, but if I've got a zone 1
and 2 travelcard, I still have to pay £1.50 just from Puddding Basin
to Stratford.

Old April 30th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

[...]

The advertising on the DLR (and on those poster type things they have
sticking out of the pavement in Tower Hamlets) for the £1.50 fares is
directly targeted at low income or 'at risk' groups with a Local Community
Worker from Devons Road featured. According to this press release:
http://pressroom.dlr.co.uk/latest_ne...ils.asp?id=104 they also
provided "training" on using the ticket machines. This is clearly a scheme
designed to reduce social exclusion by making transport more accessable.

However, Oyster is still cheaper than using the £1.50 cash fare. They have
finally installed Oyster top up machines at 5 stations and many other
stations have newsagents with Oyster "ticket stop" facilities on-site or
nearby.

Old April 30th 06, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

TKD wrote:
[...]

I think it's rather disingenuous of them to claim this as the motive
behind only putting up the fare from £1.30 to £1.50 in the last fare
increase, instead of the £3.00 that equivalent LU fares went up to.

All that seems to have happened is that correctly-priced paper tickets
have remained available (with a price increase) on the DLR while Oyster
has resulted in punitive paper ticket prices elsewhere.