Old May 14th 06, 10:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hamm & City

Just about every night last week the Hammersmith & City line was either
delayed or not running at all. Couple that with problems on the Circle
Line
and I ended up using the only reliable way across town Friday evening.

My Feet :-)

I keep hearing about speed restrictions and buckled tracks. Is this
genuine
or another way for the LU management to have a pop at the private
enterprise scheme put in place by Ken ? Whatever as always the
public seem to get caught in the middle of these things.

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old May 14th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling wrote
Just about every night last week the Hammersmith & ****ty line was
either delayed or not running at all.

Does anyone ever use this line (aside from the trackshare bits)? I've
always found it faster to use the District/Picc/Central. The lack of
time indicators at stations West of Paddington (inclusive) doesn't help
either. Be nice if, on Paddington station, they had a sign in the main
concourse saying "next H&C train 12 minutes"

Old May 14th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Paul
Weaver writes
Edward Cowling wrote
Just about every night last week the Hammersmith & ****ty line was
either delayed or not running at all.

Does anyone ever use this line (aside from the trackshare bits)? I've
always found it faster to use the District/Picc/Central. The lack of
time indicators at stations West of Paddington (inclusive) doesn't help
either. Be nice if, on Paddington station, they had a sign in the main
concourse saying "next H&C train 12 minutes"

Travelling from Aldgate East it's by far the best way of getting to
Moorgate or Kings Cross. I took the District to Monument on Friday to
get the circle line, only to end up being directed back to Aldgate East
because the Circle Line was FUBAR.

I thought part of the deal with the congestion charge was Ken got his £8
quid a go (A fiver then) and we got a decent transport system. This one
we've got appears to be disintegrating.

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old May 14th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:46:05 +0100, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

Just about every night last week the Hammersmith & City line was either
delayed or not running at all. Couple that with problems on the Circle
Line
and I ended up using the only reliable way across town Friday evening.

My Feet :-)

I keep hearing about speed restrictions and buckled tracks. Is this
genuine
or another way for the LU management to have a pop at the private
enterprise scheme put in place by Ken ? Whatever as always the
public seem to get caught in the middle of these things.

As has been posted several times this is a failure by Metronet to plan a
preventative activity to stress the rails to allow for warmer weather. I
hardly think this is "people having a pop" for the sake of it. It is a
complete and utter failure and incompetence on the part of Metronet.

Various parts of the District, Picc (where maintained by MRSSL) and Met
Lines are all directly affected. All the other sub surface lines like
the H&C suffer the knock on from the loss of capacity from having to run
at slow speed. The trains must run at slow speed or else the rails may
buckle risking a derailment.

The District Line has had two consecutive weekends of closures in East
London to give Metronet the chance to catch up on work they should have
done months ago. Expect more closures elsewhere to deal with the
remaining problems.
--
Paul C

Old May 14th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:

Just about every night last week the Hammersmith & ****ty line was
either delayed or not running at all.

Does anyone ever use this line (aside from the trackshare bits)?

I regularly use Liverpool Street to Aldgate East but have several times
found it easier to go to Aldgate and physically walk to Aldgate East for the
District. The indicators at Liverpool Street need to change to a "next train
to" format rather than the standard ones that give no indication as to how
long one has to wait for a H&C train.

Otherwise I occassionally use it for going to places near the H&C only
stations, but other than the occasional east London to north trip I never
use it for interchange journeys.

Old May 14th 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:25:26 +0100, Edward Cowling London UK wrote:

Does anyone ever use this line (aside from the trackshare bits)?

Travelling from Aldgate East it's by far the best way of getting to
Moorgate or Kings Cross.

However, from anywhere east of Mile End, if a District turns up first
(as is usually the case), it's quicker to take it and cross over to
the Central at Mile End then pick up the Met/Circle/H&C at Liverpool
Street, rather than wait around for an H&C.
Old May 14th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 May 2006, Paul Weaver wrote:

Edward Cowling wrote

Just about every night last week the Hammersmith & ****ty line was
either delayed or not running at all.

Does anyone ever use this line (aside from the trackshare bits)? I've
always found it faster to use the District/Picc/Central. The lack of
time indicators at stations West of Paddington (inclusive) doesn't help
either. Be nice if, on Paddington station, they had a sign in the main
concourse saying "next H&C train 12 minutes"

A couple of colleagues use it regularly; both work at UCL, which is hard
by Euston Square station, and live near either Royal Oak or Shepherd's
Bush (i think - somewhere out west, anyway). The one who lives in
Shepherd's Bush could get the Central line, but it would involve a walk or
a change, so usually doesn't.

I used to use it when i lived in Clapton to visit a friend who lived in
Stepney Green; train to Liverpool Street, H&C to Stepney.

stupid and character-set-dependent nerd joke

Instead of the H&C, can we just call it the @?

/stupid and character-set-dependent nerd joke

tom

--
I really don't know what any of this **** means, but it looks
impressive. -- zerolives, on YVFC
Old May 15th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2006, Paul Weaver wrote:

Edward Cowling wrote

Just about every night last week the Hammersmith & ****ty line was
either delayed or not running at all.

Does anyone ever use this line (aside from the trackshare bits)? I've
always found it faster to use the District/Picc/Central. The lack of
time indicators at stations West of Paddington (inclusive) doesn't
help either. Be nice if, on Paddington station, they had a sign in the
main concourse saying "next H&C train 12 minutes"

A couple of colleagues use it regularly; both work at UCL, which is hard
by Euston Square station, and live near either Royal Oak or Shepherd's
Bush (i think - somewhere out west, anyway). The one who lives in
Shepherd's Bush could get the Central line, but it would involve a walk
or a change, so usually doesn't.

I find using the Central & Victoria lines to get from Shepherd's Bush to
UCL (via Warren St) vastly superior to the H&C - even with the
reasonably lengthy change at Oxford Circus, the C&V route is quicker,
more frequent and more reliable.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 16th 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Dave Arquati wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Blimey. A trip involving a rush-hour change at Oxford Circus is better? I
had no idea the H&C was *that* bad. I'll mention it - although the
colleague in question is just starting a new job near Old Street, and is
considering moving too!

tom

--
Science which is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced
Old May 16th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

The poor frequency of the H&C makes it busy, whilst the flat junctions
make it extremely slow in the central section. The run between
Hammersmith and Paddington isn't so bad. After that though, there's a
danger that any problem on the Circle, District or Met will snowball to
all the other subsurface lines. The H&C and Circle seem to get the brunt
because they share will all the others. If a full H&C train gets turfed
out at Edgware Road en route to the City, it's a complete nightmare - it
seems to take the next three Circle/H&C trains to accommodate everyone.

Automatic operation on the Central and Victoria lines seems to make a
big difference to running times, and my personal experience of both is
of quite high reliability.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7