Old June 30th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default The best non-interchange interchanges

"asdf" wrote in message .

Regent's Park is closing for a year for lift replacement. One thing
that struck me as odd is that although it's practically across the
road from Great Portland Street, TfL are advising passengers to use
Baker Street (700m away) as an alternative during the closure. (Though
they do also mention GPS, almost as an afterthought.)

The reason they are advertising BS (rather than GPS) as an alternative
to Regent's Park is that BS is served by the bakerloo line whereas GPS is
not.

If you wanted to go from Regent's Park to, say, Waterloo, and RP was closed,
going to GPS and making your way to Waterloo from there would be painful.

Richard [in SG19]

Old June 30th 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:03:21 +0100, "Richard M Willis"
wrote:

"asdf" wrote in message .

Regent's Park is closing for a year for lift replacement. One thing
that struck me as odd is that although it's practically across the
road from Great Portland Street, TfL are advising passengers to use
Baker Street (700m away) as an alternative during the closure. (Though
they do also mention GPS, almost as an afterthought.)

The reason they are advertising BS (rather than GPS) as an alternative
to Regent's Park is that BS is served by the bakerloo line whereas GPS is
not.

If you wanted to go from Regent's Park to, say, Waterloo, and RP was closed,
going to GPS and making your way to Waterloo from there would be painful.

Baker Street also provides a greater number of platforms (10) than
Great Portland Street (2) around which the displaced RP passengers can
be dispersed. While regulars are likely to use G.P.St. if it is
appropriate to them, Baker Street would seem to be the better place to
send those who are likely to be more navigationally challenged (e.g.
tourists and infrequent travellers).
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
Old July 1st 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

"asdf" wrote in message .

[...]

I wonder if we should also have had a thread on the worst interchange
non-interchanges, like Charing Cross/Trafalgar Square, Canary Whart,
Waterloo, London Bridge ...

Actually, Baker Street is an awful interchange as well if you want to
get from the Circle to the Bakerloo.

Bank is awful unless you disobey all signs. For example, the DLR is
two levels below the Central, and yet they direct you to walk up stairs
to get to it from the Central.

Old July 2nd 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article om,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Putney NR to East Putney (District Line Wimbledon Branch)

Ugh! They're not very close. What journey combination would it be useful
for?

Local journeys from points west on SWT to places on the District branch
- e.g. Twickenham to Fulham Broadway? I'd probably opt for the bus from
Putney NR instead in that case, but some people prefer a Tube/train option.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 2nd 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(snip original post on nearby unconnected stations)

Graham Harrison wrote:
How about Lancaster Gate to Paddington? I used to use it regularly if
coming from the Central Line; saves the change at Oxford Circus.

Same here, but coming from the west to avoid the change at Notting Hill
Gate. However, the new White City interchange with the H&C might be more
convenient when it's finished.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old July 2nd 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article om,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Putney NR to East Putney (District Line Wimbledon Branch)

Ugh! They're not very close. What journey combination would it be useful
for?

Local journeys from points west on SWT to places on the District branch
- e.g. Twickenham to Fulham Broadway? I'd probably opt for the bus from
Putney NR instead in that case, but some people prefer a Tube/train option.

Perhaps it's a journey that might be quicker on rails compared to bus
during the rush hour, I don't know.

Similarly the Putney-East Putney change could be used for a Mortlake to
Wimbledon journey, for example. Perhaps it's quicker to stay on SWT
changing at Clapham Junction, perhaps the time difference is negligable
though, and changing at Putney would avoid zone 2 so could work out
cheaper for season ticket holders (and in the future presumably cheaper
for Oyster Pre-Pay users once NR starts fully accepting it).

Which takes me back to Colin's original point - IMO the stations are
pretty close, a ten minute walk at the most. Many of the other
"non-interchanges" I've included on the list are the same sort of
distance apart.

I guess it's up to personal preference, but I'd have no problem walking
between any of them, as long as I had some idea where which way to go -
one use of the very welcome TfL locality maps at stations. Anyway I
enjoy walking a lot, as I do cycling, and both are important modes of
transport on my books, perhaps somewhat underlooked on this newsgroup.
I'm glad that catering for them seem to be being taken more and more
seriously by TfL.

Old July 2nd 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Jul 2006 16:01:55 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

No it wouldn't - you'd be charged for two journeys instead of one
(unless they make it an "official" interchange, but there's no sign of
them doing that with e.g. Northwick Park and Kenton which are in a
similar situation).
Old July 2nd 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graham Harrison wrote:
How about Lancaster Gate to Paddington? I used to use it regularly if
coming from the Central Line; saves the change at Oxford Circus.

Same here, but coming from the west to avoid the change at Notting Hill
Gate. However, the new White City interchange with the H&C might be more
convenient when it's finished.

That's a great interchange point Graham, it's on the list. Central Line
to Paddington is not one I can remember doing in the past, but it looks
like a useful change whether coming from either west or east.

As you say Dave the White City interchange could be useful for this,
but the lesser frequency on the H&C, the possibility (probability?) of
a longer journey time and the chance of the H&C being up the spout
might tip the balance in favour of staying on trhe Central Line if I
was coming from the west.

Slightly coincidentally I was on a bus coming from Notting Hill towards
Marble Arch, and advised a couple of people who were headed to
Paddington to get off at the at Lancaster Gate and walk round the
corner. The bus driver had advised they get off at Marble Arch and
change for a bus up the Edgware Road. Instead they took my advice, got
off and from my vantage point on the top-deck I saw them head off in
the completely wrong direction. I felt a little guilty.