Old July 3rd 06, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The best non-interchange interchanges

asdf wrote:
On 2 Jul 2006 16:01:55 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Putney NR to East Putney (District Line Wimbledon Branch)

(snip)

Similarly the Putney-East Putney change could be used for a Mortlake to
Wimbledon journey, for example. Perhaps it's quicker to stay on SWT
changing at Clapham Junction, perhaps the time difference is negligable
though, and changing at Putney would avoid zone 2 so could work out
cheaper for season ticket holders (and in the future presumably cheaper
for Oyster Pre-Pay users once NR starts fully accepting it).

No it wouldn't - you'd be charged for two journeys instead of one
(unless they make it an "official" interchange, but there's no sign of
them doing that with e.g. Northwick Park and Kenton which are in a
similar situation).

Changing at Putney would still save money for Pre-Pay users in some
circumstances.

We've no idea yet as to whether NR journeys will be charged at the same
Pre-Pay fares as LU journeys, but let's presume they are (and I'll use
the weekday daytime Pre-Pay fares here [1]).

If the whole journey was from Richmond (zone 4) to Wimbledon (zone 3),
then the fares would work out like this...

(Peak return prices presume outbound journey made in the morning
between 0430 and 0930)

* via Clapham Junction
Single Richmond/zone 4 to Clapham Junction/zone 2 - £1.80
Single Clapham Junction/zone 2 to Wimbledon/zone 3 - £1.00
Total for one-way journey - £2.80

Off-peak return - £3.80 with daily capping
Peak return - £5.60
....Peak daily capping wouldn't kick in until £6.30 is reached.

* via Putney / East Putney
Single Richmond/zone 4 to East Putney/zone 3 - £1.00
Single East Putney/zone 3 to Wimbledon/zone 3 - £1.00

Total for one-way journey - £2.00
Off-peak return - £3.80 with daily capping
Peak return - £4.00
....again peak daily capping wouldn't kick in.

So for a single journey you pay 80p less. Not a great deal, but it's an
off-peak bus fare, plus count the pennies etc. I'd certainly take that
as motivation to at least consider walking the short distance in
Putney.

And if you're making a return journey setting out in the morning peak
then it'd also be worth your while.

There wouldn't be any saving for an off-peak return journey. However
I'd be very wary of falling into the trap of assuming that all
passengers want to make a return journey (or at least one by the same
route as the outbound journey), as there are so many good reasons why
people might not behave according to this assumption.

[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick.../tubedlr.shtml

Old July 3rd 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On 2 Jul 2006 17:09:17 -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Changing at Putney would still save money for Pre-Pay users in some
circumstances.

[...]

* via Clapham Junction
Single Richmond/zone 4 to Clapham Junction/zone 2 - £1.80
Single Clapham Junction/zone 2 to Wimbledon/zone 3 - £1.00
Total for one-way journey - £2.80

I was assuming that Clapham Junction would be an "official"
interchange, so you'd just be charged for a single Z234 journey (in
the same way that currently, if you travel from Park Royal to
Northwick Park using pre-pay, you don't get charged for separate Park
Royal - Rayners Lane and Rayners Lane - Northwick Park journeys just
because you changed trains there).

Yes, what you say is a perfectly logical assumption, which for some
reason I hadn't considered, and it (almost) completely destroys my
argument! I must've been thinking that the change of direction (as it
were) at Clapham Junction made a difference, but on re-thinking things,
it wouldn't.

So, as you say, the Richmond - Wimbledon Pre-Pay fare would
(presumably) be a zones 2-4 single at £1.80. Thus the only way that
the Putney to East Putney change would save money would be if it was
designated an 'official interchange', which I guess is unlikely.

And of course the change at Putney could mean season Travelcard holders
could avoid having to buy zone 2 validity.

Old July 3rd 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

DERWENT The best non-interchange interchanges
2 Jul 2006 17:35:38 -0700, "Mizter T"

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , (Dave
Arquati) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article om,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Putney NR to East Putney (District Line Wimbledon Branch)

Ugh! They're not very close. What journey combination would it be
useful for?

Local journeys from points west on SWT to places on the District
branch - e.g. Twickenham to Fulham Broadway? I'd probably opt for the
bus from Putney NR instead in that case, but some people prefer a
Tube/train option.

FSVO "some" I suspect. I can't imagine the number doing the interchange
is more than minuscule.

My thread was perhaps misnamed. Whilst the list contains many really
good 'non-interchange interchanges' (let's call them 'distant
interchanges'), it's arguably more a list of stations that are in
relative proximity to one another - a proximity which you often can't
discern from the Tube/London Connections map - and speculation as to
how useful some of these changes would be for various journeys (traffic
flows in the planners parlance).

http://www.hanzoweb.com/archive/20060313155845/http://rodcorp.typepad.com/rodcorp/2003/10/london_tube_map.html

check out the line wrap first though.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett