Old July 8th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default North Greenwich and the naming of stations (was London Terminals and Thameslink)

Mizter T wrote:

Was the foot tunnel in operation at the time? If so then the station may
have been named to attract passengers who wanted to go to Greenwich (as I
said Ryanair were hardly the first to do this sort of thing - see also
Wanstead Park).

Good point, I hadn't though of it that way round.

Nor had I appreciated the absurdity behind the naming of Wanstead Park
station. A more honest station name would've been Wanstead Flats, but
it doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

"Forest Gate North" would frankly be the most accurate name. Wanstead Flats
is literally just over the Newham-Redbridge border and there is a very
noticable change of area as one walks there from the station. However I
suspect the fact that it's not a valid interchange with Forest Gate would
rule out FGN as a station name.

I've read a few old threads on uk.railway where absurd station names
were discussed. I do think it's fascinating (especially in urban areas
such as London) the way the railway's naming of stations can alter
popular understanding of the location of certain areas, the way the
railway utilised aspirational names for some stations, and even the way
places can take their name from pre-existing nearby stations (the names
of which might be somewhat misleading in the first place).

Oh definitely. Wikipedia editors once got in a mess trying to say where
Euston is - "Camden" may be the borough name but everyone thinks of Camden
Town, "St Pancras" is an old village name that everyone now uses for just
the railway station, "Bloomsbury" clearly stops at the other side of the
road and "Euston" is what a lot of people call the area but not much use
here given what they've taken the name from!

There are some people who think Wanstead Flats is actually called Wanstead
Park - and the signs there don't always correct them. I often used to call
various shop branches the "Tottenham Court Road branch" even though most
were on the other three roads that intersect at the crossroads the station
is on.

One of QMUL's halls of residence is located behind Stepney Green tube
station but I suspect very few who've ever stayed there realise that the
green stretch in front of them is not Stepney Green, which is a short walk
the other side of the Whitechapel (or is it Mile End) road.

Shoreditch is one of the more interesting points of confusion, not least
because the (now closed) tube station was never in the old Metropolitan
Borough of Shoreditch. Through in some Hackney council maps that
inaccurately don't claim the church with "the bells of Shoreditch" (I forget
the church name) and five separate post codes converging on the area and one
is left totally confused as to where it is.

Mercifully I've yet to hear someone call an area "City Thameslink".

Old July 8th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:41:51 +0100, "Tim Roll-Pickering"
wrote:

I often used to call
various shop branches the "Tottenham Court Road branch" even though most
were on the other three roads that intersect at the crossroads the station
is on.

"St Giles Circus" would clearly be a better name for the station, as
it more clearly locates the station - TCR is quite a long road and has
two other stations on it. Personally I think that street names should
only be used if they are very short streets and therefore the position
of the station is fairly obvious.

Or maybe we should adopt the American convention and call such
junctions by both names - "Tottenham Court Road & Oxford Street"

I used to work on North Gower Street (yes we called the location
"Euston") and always wondered why Euston Square station not only was
not on Euston Square, which is by the mainline station, but had never
been connected up underground with either Euston or Warren Street
underground stations to form a proper interchange.

I also favour Tyburn for Marble Arch, but that's nothing much to do
with accuracy, just a liking for the seamier side of history.
Old July 8th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

[snip interesting discussion of tube station names]

One of QMUL's halls of residence is located behind Stepney Green tube
station but I suspect very few who've ever stayed there realise that the
green stretch in front of them is not Stepney Green, which is a short walk
the other side of the Whitechapel (or is it Mile End) road.

This made me think of Whitechapel Art Gallery, which is almost next
door to Aldgate East tube station. I'm told that first-timers often
arrive at Whitechapel tube only to discover that they've got off at the
wrong station...

Mercifully I've yet to hear someone call an area "City Thameslink".

Which shows just how inappropriate a name this is. For a start, there
are several other Thameslink stations in the City.

PaulO

Old July 8th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Phil Clark wrote:

it more clearly locates the station - TCR is quite a long road and
has two other stations on it. Personally I think that street names
should only be used if they are very short streets and therefore the
position of the station is fairly obvious.

Good point. A passer-by asked me the other day which way to Great
Western Road. I could have given them three convenient routes from
where we were standing, depending on where they really wanted to get
to.

Or maybe we should adopt the American convention and call such
junctions by both names - "Tottenham Court Road & Oxford Street"

I suspect the "American convention" would really give you
"Tottenham Court and Oxford", which might be a bit confusing :-}

Old July 8th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:39:07 GMT, Phil Clark wrote:

I often used to call
various shop branches the "Tottenham Court Road branch" even though most
were on the other three roads that intersect at the crossroads the station
is on.

"St Giles Circus" would clearly be a better name for the station, as
it more clearly locates the station - TCR is quite a long road and has
two other stations on it. Personally I think that street names should
only be used if they are very short streets and therefore the position
of the station is fairly obvious.

Or maybe we should adopt the American convention and call such
junctions by both names - "Tottenham Court Road & Oxford Street"

I've always thought there's a sort of implicit "Central Line &
Tottenham Court Road".

The H&C between Liverpool Street and Hammersmith has almost all of its
stations named (at least in the original names, though some have
changed over time) after the road it happens to be crossing at that
point.

I used to work on North Gower Street (yes we called the location
"Euston") and always wondered why Euston Square station not only was
not on Euston Square, which is by the mainline station, but had never
been connected up underground with either Euston or Warren Street
underground stations to form a proper interchange.

IIRC only a relatively short length of tunnel would be required to
link the eastern ends of the platforms at Euston Square with Euston.
(Little chance of it ever happening, though.)

Old July 8th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

asdf wrote:

IIRC only a relatively short length of tunnel would be required to
link the eastern ends of the platforms at Euston Square with Euston.
(Little chance of it ever happening, though.)

What's the main problem? An interchange between the Northern Line Charing X
branch and the Met would no end of help.

Old July 8th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 17:03:15 +0100, "Alan J. Flavell"
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Phil Clark wrote:

it more clearly locates the station - TCR is quite a long road and
has two other stations on it. Personally I think that street names
should only be used if they are very short streets and therefore the
position of the station is fairly obvious.

Good point. A passer-by asked me the other day which way to Great
Western Road. I could have given them three convenient routes from
where we were standing, depending on where they really wanted to get
to.

Or maybe we should adopt the American convention and call such
junctions by both names - "Tottenham Court Road & Oxford Street"

I suspect the "American convention" would really give you
"Tottenham Court and Oxford", which might be a bit confusing :-}

If you want to use an American convention, call the station "Centrepoint
Station" after the landmark building on top of it.
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
Old July 8th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Alan J. Flavell wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Phil Clark wrote:

it more clearly locates the station - TCR is quite a long road and
has two other stations on it. Personally I think that street names
should only be used if they are very short streets and therefore
the position of the station is fairly obvious.

Good point. A passer-by asked me the other day which way to Great
Western Road. I could have given them three convenient routes from
where we were standing, depending on where they really wanted to get
to.

Or maybe we should adopt the American convention and call such
junctions by both names - "Tottenham Court Road & Oxford Street"

I suspect the "American convention" would really give you
"Tottenham Court and Oxford", which might be a bit confusing :-}

There are several Métro stations in Paris named in just that way, for
example Strasbourg St-Denis at the junction of the Boulevard de
Strasbourg and the Boulevard St-Denis, which I doubt if many people
confuse with the towns of Strasbourg or St-Denis.
--
Richard J.

Old July 9th 06, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Paul Oter wrote:

Mercifully I've yet to hear someone call an area "City Thameslink".

Which shows just how inappropriate a name this is. For a start, there
are several other Thameslink stations in the City.

I still think it should be called Holborn Viaducked.

Old July 9th 06, 01:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

Wikipedia editors once got in a mess trying to say
where Euston is - "Camden" may be the borough name but everyone
thinks of Camden Town, "St Pancras" is an old village name that
everyone now uses for just the railway station, "Bloomsbury" clearly
stops at the other side of the road and "Euston" is what a lot of
people call the area but not much use here given what they've taken
the name from!

Isn't it in Somers Town?

I noticed recently that before the 1960s, Hampstead Garden Suburb was half
in the Middlesex borough of Finchley and half in the Middlesex borough of
Hendon. None of it was in the London borough of Hampstead, in fact it almost
seemed to end at the Hampstead border.