Old July 8th 06, 11:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster deposit

I'm going to be in UK for 1 day plan to use a 3.50 1 day bus and a
1.50 1 way bus fare., do I have to pay 5 pounds or 8 pounds?

Old July 9th 06, 06:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
" writes

I'm going to be in UK for 1 day plan to use a 3.50 1 day bus and a
1.50 1 way bus fare., do I have to pay 5 pounds or 8 pounds?

A 3.50 bus pass covers all buses in all zones throughout the day (and on
until 4.30 the next morning), so it is unlikely you would also need a
single (1.50 cash) ticket.

Unless you plan to return to London in the near future, it is not really
worth putting the bus pass on Oyster - just get a paper ticket
(available from the same places that you buy Oyster).

If you are planning to visit London again and therefore prefer the
Oyster option, the total would be 6.50 including the 3.00 deposit (which
is refundable).
--
Paul Terry
Old July 9th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

I'm going to be in UK for 1 day plan to use a 3.50 1 day bus and a
1.50 1 way bus fare., do I have to pay 5 pounds or 8 pounds?

A 3.50 bus pass covers all buses in all zones throughout the day (and on
until 4.30 the next morning), so it is unlikely you would also need a
single (1.50 cash) ticket.

Unless you plan to return to London in the near future, it is not really
worth putting the bus pass on Oyster - just get a paper ticket
(available from the same places that you buy Oyster).

If you are planning to visit London again and therefore prefer the
Oyster option, the total would be 6.50 including the 3.00 deposit (which
is refundable).
--
Paul Terry

You can't put a one day pass on Oyster - you have to use prepay. Only 7
day and longer passes can be put on Oyster

However, a day's bus journeys will be capped at £3 using Oyster - just
pass the ticket over the reader and it will stop charging after £3 has
been reached, which is 50p less than the one day bus pass

You'll need to pay a £3 refundable deposit as well. Whether there is a
minimum pre-pay top up I don't know - a quick search of the tfl site
didn't find one.

Old July 9th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Paul Terry wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

I'm going to be in UK for 1 day plan to use a 3.50 1 day bus and a
1.50 1 way bus fare., do I have to pay 5 pounds or 8 pounds?

A 3.50 bus pass covers all buses in all zones throughout the day (and on
until 4.30 the next morning), so it is unlikely you would also need a
single (1.50 cash) ticket.

Unless you plan to return to London in the near future, it is not really
worth putting the bus pass on Oyster - just get a paper ticket
(available from the same places that you buy Oyster).

If you are planning to visit London again and therefore prefer the
Oyster option, the total would be 6.50 including the 3.00 deposit (which
is refundable).
--
Paul Terry

While the point of the deposit is to stop people casually losing the
cards and getting new ones, which are costly to produce, presumably
those that are returned and the deposit refunded are thrown away?

I mean, they wouldn't reissue a sticky, scratched one to a new
customer. There's something in the logic of this I can't quite get my
head round.

If someone is clearly only on London for one brief holiday, nothing is
actually gained, and much is lost, through the deposit. There won't be
much time to lose it, and it won't be reused when returned. (And it's
a big discouragement to use a system which TfL wants to make universal,
unless they want to retain an effective foreigner travel surcharge.)

Regular commuters who are serial losers of cards pay a zero deposit if
they start with a period travelcard, and yet these are presumably the
people who need to be discouraged from needing new cards.

Old July 9th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:

While the point of the deposit is to stop people casually losing the
cards and getting new ones, which are costly to produce, presumably
those that are returned and the deposit refunded are thrown away?

I mean, they wouldn't reissue a sticky, scratched one to a new
customer. There's something in the logic of this I can't quite get my
head round.

If someone returns a card once after they have finished with it, LUL
lose £3 + cost of card.

If someone chucks their card away every time the (e.g.) weekly ticket on
it expires, then LUL loses £cost of card x 52 weeks = lots more.

The fact they may make a loss when returning the deposits is, I suspect,
outweighed by the deterrent factor of persuading people not to chuck them.

Old July 9th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:00:14 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

If someone returns a card once after they have finished with it, LUL
lose £3 + cost of card.

They don't lose £3 - they only have to return the £3 if it was
deposited in the first place. I also wouldn't be surprised if they
re-use the cards, if they're in good condition.
Old July 9th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Title of thread sounds a bit like something nasty found on the side of
a plate in a seafood restaurant.
--
gordon

Old July 9th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Title of thread sounds a bit like something nasty found on the side of
a plate in a seafood restaurant.

And presumably so titled because of the princely amount you have to
shell out for one?
--
gordon

Old July 10th 06, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:00:14 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

If someone returns a card once after they have finished with it, LUL
lose £3 + cost of card.

They don't lose £3 - they only have to return the £3 if it was
deposited in the first place. I also wouldn't be surprised if they
re-use the cards, if they're in good condition.

To be clear the deposit is currently waived if you're buying a weekly
or longer pass to be loaded onto the Oyster card - as asdf says, the
deposit is only returned if it was paid by the passenger in the first
place when they obtained the card.

I've used the waiver to obtain a couple of extra (unregistered) Oyster
cards - i.e. I've had a new Oyster card when I've bought my weekly
Travelcard instead of using my existing one. I'm not doing this just be
be profligately wasteful - it's handy having a few extra Oyster cards
around so I can lend them to visitors, thus enabling them to take
advantage of lower Pre-Pay fares. And if they lose or it or want to
keep it, fine, I've not lost anything!