Old April 24th 09, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster £3 deposit to be charged for season tickets

An article in thelondonpaper this evening states that the £3 deposit
for obtaining a new Oyster card (currently only payable if using PAYG
or buying a weekly season ticket) will, from May, also be charged when
buying a longer-than-weekly season ticket.

Old April 24th 09, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 24, 1:06*am, asdf wrote:
An article in thelondonpaper this evening states that the £3 deposit
for obtaining a new Oyster card (currently only payable if using PAYG
or buying a weekly season ticket) will, from May, also be charged when
buying a longer-than-weekly season ticket.

When did the £3 deposit start being implemented for weekly tickets? It
didn't used to be.

I suspect this is a result of the TfL budget crunch.

A bit of a shame in one way, but an Oyster card obviously carries a
higher cost, and also I don't really like the notion that people might
have considered them as being disposable (having objections to the
'disposable culture' and all that).

Nonetheless, people will inevitably get annoyed that they need to pay
for the medium on which their ticket is stored, as well as paying for
the ticket itself.

At least by this stage there are already lots of Oyster cards out
there.
Old April 24th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Apr 24, 1:06 am, asdf wrote:
[...]

Helsinki issue tourist tickets on Chip cards which IIRC are free, but Lisbon
charged for card to load with "day tickets" which there seems to be no
possibility of a refund

tim

Old April 24th 09, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote on 24 April 2009 11:28:00 ...
On Apr 24, 1:06 am, asdf wrote:
An article in thelondonpaper this evening states that the £3 deposit
for obtaining a new Oyster card (currently only payable if using PAYG
or buying a weekly season ticket) will, from May, also be charged when
buying a longer-than-weekly season ticket.

When did the £3 deposit start being implemented for weekly tickets? It
didn't used to be.

The TfL website still says "When you first get your Oyster card, you
will need to pay a refundable £3 deposit if you are only adding cash to
pay as you go", so it appears that a new Oyster with a weekly season
does *not* currently have a £3 deposit.

However, the website also says "A £3 refundable deposit will be applied
to all new Oyster cards issued from 17 May".
--
Richard J.
Old April 24th 09, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

tim..... wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Apr 24, 1:06 am, asdf wrote:
[...]

I had to pay the L3 for an oyster card last year. And now I can't even
conveniently charge it up online for payg, because I have US credit
cards and the system can't accept them.

Gov wins. They got L6 off of us, then changed the rules. Money for
nothing.

redcat

Old April 24th 09, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 02:28:00 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T wrote:

An article in thelondonpaper this evening states that the £3 deposit
for obtaining a new Oyster card (currently only payable if using PAYG
or buying a weekly season ticket) will, from May, also be charged when
buying a longer-than-weekly season ticket.

When did the £3 deposit start being implemented for weekly tickets? It
didn't used to be.

I could be wrong. I thought that, for some time, fares leaflets stated
that it was payable on weeklies, but as a sort of temporary special
offer, it wasn't actually charged. Perhaps this just became permanent.

The article did say the deposit would be introduced on "season tickets
for longer than a week" rather than just "season tickets", though.
Old April 25th 09, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 02:28:00 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T wrote:

On Apr 24, 1:06*am, asdf wrote:
[4 quoted lines suppressed]

When did the £3 deposit start being implemented for weekly tickets? It
didn't used to be.

I suspect this is a result of the TfL budget crunch.

A bit of a shame in one way, but an Oyster card obviously carries a
higher cost, and also I don't really like the notion that people might
have considered them as being disposable (having objections to the
'disposable culture' and all that).

I wonder how much a card actually costs? I know a standard antenna/chip
card can be had for much less than £3, but custom cards can stretch over
£10, have they ever said the real card cost?

Steve
Old April 25th 09, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"redcat" wrote in message
m...
tim..... wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Apr 24, 1:06 am, asdf wrote:
[...]

so get a refund of the three quid when you next return to London, wtp?

tim

Old April 25th 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 25, 2:45*pm, "tim....." wrote:
I had to pay the L3 for an oyster card last year. And now I can't even
conveniently charge it up online for payg, because I have US credit cards
and the system can't accept them.

Gov wins. They got L6 off of us, then changed the rules. *Money for
nothing.

so get a refund of the three quid when you next return to London, wtp?

....or top it up at LHR.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org