Old July 23rd 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London power problems

The tube seems to be takeing a battering with the bakerloo line closed and
various other closures. What is going on?

Old July 23rd 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:30:56 +0100, "James Salisbury"
wrote:

The tube seems to be takeing a battering with the bakerloo line closed and
various other closures. What is going on?

A complete guess on my part but I would imagine there has been a failure
either at a bulk supply point between the national electricity network
and the LU one or there is a cable related problem on the high voltage
network. It's hard to say whether that is national grid or LU side.

The stations and lines that are affected point to a bulk supply point
problem in North West London as has happened before.

There have been a lot of electricity network problems but that is hardly
new news given widespread concerns about the integrity of and investment
in our electricity network as a result of privatisation.

I'm sure I will know more tomorrow morning when I read the weekend
reports.
--
Paul C

Old July 23rd 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

My understanding is that it is an EDF fault at St Johns Wood

Old July 23rd 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:47:11 +0100, "James Salisbury"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

The tube seems to be takeing a battering with the bakerloo line closed and
various other closures. What is going on?

A complete guess on my part but I would imagine there has been a failure
either at a bulk supply point between the national electricity network
and the LU one or there is a cable related problem on the high voltage
network. It's hard to say whether that is national grid or LU side.

My understanding is that it is an EDF fault at St Johns Wood

Out of curiosity how and when did you find that out given that you posed
the original question?
--
Paul C

Old July 23rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

James Salisbury wrote:
The tube seems to be takeing a battering with the bakerloo line closed and
various other closures. What is going on?

According to LBC earlier parts of Camden were affected by a big power
failure earlier

Old July 23rd 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

The tube seems to be takeing a battering with the bakerloo line closed
and
various other closures. What is going on?

A complete guess on my part but I would imagine there has been a failure
either at a bulk supply point between the national electricity network
and the LU one or there is a cable related problem on the high voltage
network. It's hard to say whether that is national grid or LU side.

My understanding is that it is an EDF fault at St Johns Wood

Out of curiosity how and when did you find that out given that you posed
the original question?
--
Paul C

It was stated on Radio BBC London that "EDF say there is a fault at St John
Wood". It also makes sense as BBC london themselves and the traffic lights
in the area are in darkness. If it was an LUL side fault I would have
expected various lines to be closed and doom stories about the underground
being shut but few problems elsewhere.

Old July 23rd 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I'd be most interested if you could tell us anything about how
Greenwich power station fits into the whole picture. I'm under the
impression it exists to provide an emergency electricity supply for the
LU network [1] - but is it just enough to power say emergency
tunnel/station lights, sump pumps and communications or could it
provide enough power for a line to operate normally?

An aside for anyone who might be interested - I wondered for a long
time why LU had a power station in Greenwich, which pre-Jubilee line
extension was nowhere near any of the Underground network, until I read
recently that it was originally constructed to generate electricity for
LCC's tramways [2].

The LCC Tramway operation was duly absorbed into the new London
Transport Passenger Board on it's formation in 1933, which is how this
power station in south-east London ended up supplying the Underground
network (not sure of exactly when the requisite connections were made
to the Underground network, possibly in the 1930's?). I'm unclear as to
whether LU still actually own the site, or whether ownership has now
passed to Seeboard Powerlink, who are responsible for running it.

The power station is an interesting bit of old industrial London -
though unless you're looking carefully you may well not realise it's
still in use. The pier that used to take coal to the power station is
disused as the fuel now burnt there is gas [3]. If you're in Greenwich
it's worth walking past - it's just beyond the Naval school, and
there's two pubs deserving of a visit in the vicinity, The Trafalgar
and the Cutty Sark Tavern (a name that's slightly confusing as it's not
in the immediate proximity of the tea clipper).

[1] Hansard - see under 'Seeboard Powerlink consortium'
http://www.publications.parliament.u...t/91207w08.htm

[2] Greenwich Industrial Historical Society
http://gihs.gold.ac.uk/gihs2.html#gps

[3] PortCities London
http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/...r-Station.html

Old July 23rd 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
My understanding is that it is an EDF fault at St Johns Wood

Out of curiosity how and when did you find that out given that you posed
the original question?

It was stated on Radio BBC London that "EDF say there is a fault at St John
Wood". It also makes sense as BBC london themselves and the traffic lights
in the area are in darkness.

OK.

If it was an LUL side fault I would have
expected various lines to be closed and doom stories about the underground
being shut but few problems elsewhere.

The electrical distribution network is designed so as not to knock out
the whole system. The number of problems caused by failures on the EDF
network is getting larger by the week. Unless something is done very
quickly to improve the resilience of London's electricity supply network
I cannot see how the city can grow or provide the Olympics.
--
Paul C

Old July 23rd 06, 09:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

victormeldrewsyoungerbrother wrote:
The tube seems to be takeing a battering with the bakerloo line closed and
various other closures. What is going on?

As usual, the BBC can naswer your questions:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/p..._feature.shtml

Useful site, but really more of a "what" than a "why" - I suspect the
OP was more looking for the latter...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old July 23rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
The electrical distribution network is designed so as not to knock out
the whole system. The number of problems caused by failures on the EDF
network is getting larger by the week. Unless something is done very
quickly to improve the resilience of London's electricity supply network
I cannot see how the city can grow or provide the Olympics.

(EDF = Electricite de France)

Is this an underhand plot to scupper London's Olympic hopes in revenge
for defeating Paris last year, then? ;-)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org