Old July 26th 06, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "This train is being held here awaiting signal clearance"

In message .com, Kev
writes

Maybe they have a sight defect and arrived after the announcements were
made. It is not uncommon for people not to hear announcements clearly.
Why is it such a big issue to answer a passenger's query, no wonder the
the public who have to deal with public transport staff go a bit weird.

No I am a member of the travelling public. I get happily stood in a
corner reading my paper and yet people still leap on the train and ask
where it's going. I'd love to say "Helsinki mate," but I just sigh and
tell them Letchworth, just as the last 5 announcements and the board are
saying. This of course they don't get and just blink at you and wander
off to ask at least another three people before deciding that in all
probability it really is a Letchworth train :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK

Old July 26th 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I was on the 1351 Kings Cross to Cambridge today, waiting for it to
go. A passenger/customer got on and asked me if the train was going to
Letchworth, "Yes, I am going there too!" I replied. I can see why
staff get frustrated, the person went on and asked two other people if
the train went to Letchworth!!! Hey, would I lie if I was going to
Letchworth!!

Lots of passengers are ignorant and disbelieving. I have seen staff
tell them where a train is going only to get a reply, "Are you
sure?"!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter how much information is put out about the
destination of a train, there will always be those that are so
ignorant they won't see it!
Old July 26th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
[...]

The number of times I have been on a southbound Northern line train
from Brent Cross with the ontrain display cleary showing that it is
going to Edgware. Then there is the fun and games at Camden with the
platform staff telling everybody that the this is a Bank train and the
driver saying ignore the platform staff, this is a Charing Cross train.
I guess somebody knows where it is going.

Kevin

Old July 26th 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Christine wrote:
I was on the 1351 Kings Cross to Cambridge today, waiting for it to
go. A passenger/customer got on and asked me if the train was going
to Letchworth, "Yes, I am going there too!" I replied. I can see
why staff get frustrated, the person went on and asked two other
people if the train went to Letchworth!!! Hey, would I lie if I
was going to Letchworth!!

Lots of passengers are ignorant ...

Perhaps that's why the passenger for Letchworth felt the need to take an
opinion poll rather than relying on a single passenger, who might have
been as ignorant as he was.
--
Richard J.

Old July 26th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Christine wrote:
Hey, would I lie if I was going to
Letchworth!!

Given Edward Cowling the answer may well be yes.

Kevin

Old July 26th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:
Then there is the fun and games at Camden with the
platform staff telling everybody that the this is a Bank train and the
driver saying ignore the platform staff, this is a Charing Cross train.
I guess somebody knows where it is going.

A few weeks back, there was an PA system announcement at Camden Town
asking for a member of the cleaning team to go to a platform for a
'code 1 whatever that is'. Yes, HE said that (twice in fact).

What is a code 1? A rather obvious code for 'bomb scare' or 'someone
has thrown up'. Doesn't sound like control knew either!

I don't go to Camden much, but it seems as confusing now as it ever
was. No wonder it throws the tourists and other irregular travelers.

Jonathan

Old July 26th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Jul 2006 11:24:39 -0700, Jonathan Morris wrote:

I don't go to Camden much, but it seems as confusing now as it ever
was. No wonder it throws the tourists and other irregular travelers.

If only they had put the junctions for the southbound lines to the
north of the station rather than the south, so that trains via Bank
and CX departed from separate platforms.
Old July 26th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . com, Kev
writes
Then there is the fun and games at Camden with the
platform staff telling everybody that the this is a Bank train and the
driver saying ignore the platform staff, this is a Charing Cross train.

Camden Town southbound is really easy. Just look at the signal on the
headwall:

Green with white diagonal stripe: via Bank
Green with nothing else: via Charing Cross
Red: not moving

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old July 27th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Jul 2006 01:22:10 -0700, wrote:

* My personal favourite being loud platform announcement "This train is
going to CHARING CROSS", combined with in-train sign "CHARING CROSS",
plus in-train announcement "This train is going to CHARING CROSS",
followed by passenger asking of fellow passengers, "Is this train going
to Charing Cross?".

To which the standard reply appears to be "I hope so"...

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com