Old August 31st 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Would Oyster benefit me?

From September 11th I'll be travelling from East Croydon to Brixton (train
from E.Croydon to Victoria, then tube to Brixton), peak times, on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning to buy a one-day travel card each day
(£10.40 per day). Would Oyster be of any use to me, i.e. reduce my costs at
all? I've never used it before.

Demiurge.

Old August 31st 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Demiurge" wrote in message ...
From September 11th I'll be travelling from East Croydon to Brixton (train
from E.Croydon to Victoria, then tube to Brixton), peak times, on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning to buy a one-day travel card each
day
(£10.40 per day). Would Oyster be of any use to me, i.e. reduce my costs
at
all? I've never used it before.

Oyster PrePay is not valid at East Croydon so would not help you in this
situation.

Peter Smyth

Old August 31st 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Demiurge writes

From September 11th I'll be travelling from East Croydon to Brixton (train
from E.Croydon to Victoria, then tube to Brixton), peak times, on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning to buy a one-day travel card each day
(£10.40 per day). Would Oyster be of any use to me, i.e. reduce my costs at
all? I've never used it before.

You cannot put one-day travelcards on Oyster, nor can you use Oyster
Pay-as-you-Go on most of National Rail. So, I haven't done the sums for
you particular route, but it is usually the case that Oyster is more
expensive than a paper travelcard for occasional journeys that involve
National Rail.
--
Paul Terry
Old August 31st 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oyster PrePay is not valid at East Croydon so would not help you in this
situation.

Peter Smyth

Thanks, Peter, I'll stick with my travel card then.

Regards,

Demiurge.

Old August 31st 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

You cannot put one-day travelcards on Oyster, nor can you use Oyster
Pay-as-you-Go on most of National Rail. So, I haven't done the sums for
you particular route, but it is usually the case that Oyster is more
expensive than a paper travelcard for occasional journeys that involve
National Rail.
--
Paul Terry

I've got a consensus! Thanks, Paul. A definite travel card journey, then.

Regards,

Demiurge.

Old August 31st 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:51:08 +0100, Demiurge wrote:

From September 11th I'll be travelling from East Croydon to Brixton (train
from E.Croydon to Victoria, then tube to Brixton), peak times, on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning to buy a one-day travel card each day
(£10.40 per day). Would Oyster be of any use to me, i.e. reduce my costs at
all? I've never used it before.

In a word, no. However, you would be able to reduce your costs by
avoiding travelling through Zone 1.

Possible routes would be:

East Croydon - Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Brixton
East Croydon - Balham - Stockwell - Brixton
East Croydon - Herne Hill - Brixton (not many trains on these routes)
East Croydon - Beckenham Junction (Tramlink) - Brixton

This would enable you to travel on a Z2-6 Peak One Day Travelcard at
£7.40 per day.

For the routes that involve NR and Tube, you could get a return ticket
rather than a Travelcard for £6.80 (Z2-5 "Tube/DLR - Train" fare).

If you use the route via Herne Hill (you may also have to change at
Tulse Hill), you could use a Standard Day Return which would cost
£3.80.

HTH
Old August 31st 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:51:08 +0100, Demiurge wrote:

From September 11th I'll be travelling from East Croydon to Brixton (train
from E.Croydon to Victoria, then tube to Brixton), peak times, on Mondays,

Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning to buy a one-day travel card each day
(£10.40 per day). Would Oyster be of any use to me, i.e. reduce my costs at
all? I've never used it before.

In a word, no. However, you would be able to reduce your costs by
avoiding travelling through Zone 1.

Possible routes would be:

East Croydon - Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Brixton
East Croydon - Balham - Stockwell - Brixton
East Croydon - Herne Hill - Brixton (not many trains on these routes)
East Croydon - Beckenham Junction (Tramlink) - Brixton

This would enable you to travel on a Z2-6 Peak One Day Travelcard at
£7.40 per day.

The TfL Journeyplanner also shows an alternative route of train E.
Croydon - Tulse Hill and then bus 2 or 432 to Brixton. It estimates this
journey time 00:36 so if it is correct it would not take longer time
than train/tube via Victoria. With this train-bus route a Z3-5 7-day
travelcard will save some more money because it costs £18.40. Divided by
3 days that is about £6.13 a day. Then, a few pounds more can be saved
by buying monthly or longer travelcards.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old August 31st 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 21:26:16 +0100, asdf
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:51:08 +0100, Demiurge wrote:

From September 11th I'll be travelling from East Croydon to Brixton (train
from E.Croydon to Victoria, then tube to Brixton), peak times, on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm planning to buy a one-day travel card each day
(£10.40 per day). Would Oyster be of any use to me, i.e. reduce my costs at
all? I've never used it before.

In a word, no. However, you would be able to reduce your costs by
avoiding travelling through Zone 1.

Possible routes would be:

East Croydon - Clapham Junction - Vauxhall - Brixton
East Croydon - Balham - Stockwell - Brixton
East Croydon - Herne Hill - Brixton (not many trains on these routes)
East Croydon - Beckenham Junction (Tramlink) - Brixton

This would enable you to travel on a Z2-6 Peak One Day Travelcard at
£7.40 per day.

Or shock, horror travel to Herne Hill and then get a bus (3, 37 or 196)
across to Brixton. This gives 20 buses per hour on that stretch.

For the real cheapo option you could simply get a 109 bus from Croydon
to Brixton using Oyster Pre-Pay and pay £1 in the morning peak and 80p
on the way home. I accept this is only an option if you have the time to
spare for a longer journey. Buses run every 6 mins for most of the day.
--
Paul C

Old September 5th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
Or shock, horror travel to Herne Hill and then get a bus (3, 37 or 196)
across to Brixton. This gives 20 buses per hour on that stretch.
For the real cheapo option you could simply get a 109 bus from Croydon
to Brixton using Oyster Pre-Pay and pay £1 in the morning peak and 80p
on the way home. I accept this is only an option if you have the time to
spare for a longer journey. Buses run every 6 mins for most of the day.

Thanks for the advice. I read an article in the Croydon Advertiser calling
route 109 and 250 the "routes to Hell", as supposedly there is often trouble
on these route, the sound of which puts me off - but it never specified what
kind of trouble. Have you heard anything of this?

Demiurge.

Old September 5th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Olof Lagerkvist wrote:
[...]

Olof, thanks for all your suggestions - I will try these out to see which
suits best.

Regards,

Demiurge.