Old September 7th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Overground

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 5 Sep 2006 08:57:44 -0700, "John B" wrote:

* lifts appearing at Euston Square, Paddington (District), Highbury &
Islington, Tottenham Hale, Waterloo (Northern) and Vauxhall.

Tottenham Hale is already step free - the lift has been in service for
years.

As the Victoria Line Voice Woman now reminds us every bloody time I go
through the station.

I don't know about anyone else, but her tone of voice to me on that
recording sounds awfully patronising, almost "Listen, disabled people, I
know some of you aren't very bright, so I'm going to say this very
slowly with a sense of wonder in my voice."

Sorry, it just annoys me :-)
Old September 7th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Speller wrote:
On 5 Sep 2006 11:42:20 -0700, Bob wrote:

Nice to see the clever integration of the blue disabled access symbol
on to the map. Becks foresighted modular flexibility triumphs again.

Except that the use of the disabled symbol actually removes one of
Beck's original innovations and makes the map provide less information
than it used to (discounting the obvious extra information about
step-free access!).

Until recently you could immediately see which stations were
interchanges and which weren't

I assumed the original post was ironic, but maybe not.
Old September 8th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:46:40 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

Listening to some commentary on the radio last night it was stated that
running trains from Dalston Junc to Highbury is going to cost £400M.
Bearing in mind that all that needs to be done on the face of it is
reinstate a few hundred yards of track what is going to cost half a
Wembley Stadium of half a Dome.

Not what I heard - the following parliamentary debate suggests £200m for
the northern part of (what was) Phase 2 - Dalston Junction to Caledonian
Road & Barnsbury. That includes turnback facilities at CR&B, possibly
extra tracks somewhere between there and Dalston, the reinstated curve
at Dalston, a replacement junction on the NLL (obviously the old one
isn't there any more) and probably some resignalling.

Then again, reinstating a significantly longer section of track in south
London and building a new station at Surrey Canal Road seems to cost
much less (£75m), so I'm not sure what difference is for. Is the
formation at Dalston still in Network Rail's hands?

Perhaps not: the property listing section of the British Railways
Board (Residuary) website (see http://www.brb.gov.uk/property)
suggests that the west curve at Dalston may have been sold off.

http://www.brb.gov.uk/property/prope...ounty=l&page=3

"Dalston Junction: Western Junction closed line: Sold"
Old September 8th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:

Camden Town to Camden Road (an additional exit from the northern

ends of the platforms at Camden Town to a second ticket office closer
to Camden Road was floated as a potential congestion-relief measure).

Floated by whom? When I phoned up the woman in charge of the public
consultation for the rebuiding of Camden Town, she clearly regarded
improving interchange with the NLL to be a bizarre and inexplicable aim.

Old September 8th 06, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:

I am still of the opinion that York Road Piccadilly should be reopened
as soon as possible - the regen frenzy of the Kings Cross Railway
Lands will eventually make it imperative to fill the hole.

The best part is that the station has lift shafts that descend all the
way to platform level, like the ones at Earl's Court and Caledonian
Road. As a result, all that would be needed is the construction of
escalators.

I don't see why escalators would be necessary, when Russell Square, Goodge
Street and Lancaster Gate get by without any.

Old September 8th 06, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...06_tubemap.pdf

That map throws up a few extra bits of information by itself, such
as:

* lifts appearing at Euston Square

I haven't used Euston Square since they rebuilt it, but surely the new
station has either lifts or ramps!

Old September 8th 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:
Camden Town to Camden Road (an additional exit from the northern

ends of the platforms at Camden Town to a second ticket office closer
to Camden Road was floated as a potential congestion-relief measure).

Floated by whom? When I phoned up the woman in charge of the public
consultation for the rebuiding of Camden Town, she clearly regarded
improving interchange with the NLL to be a bizarre and inexplicable aim.

Arup, I think. They supplied an alternative proposal to LU's (on behalf
of a campaign group organised by the markets) for the public inquiry,
which was intended to reduce the impact of the expanded station on the
surrounding markets and shops.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old September 8th 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...06_tubemap.pdf

That map throws up a few extra bits of information by itself, such
as:

* lifts appearing at Euston Square

I haven't used Euston Square since they rebuilt it, but surely the new
station has either lifts or ramps!

Well, the entrance from the street under the new Wellcome building,
might have a lift (entrance not open yet), but the building work hasn't
affected the stairs from the ticket office down to the platforms.

This 'rebuild' is actually just a replacement of the entrance on the
south side of Euston Road, due to the Wellcome building works.