Old November 12th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New signs on London Overground

Can users help track the spread of the London Overground brand across
the various parts of "London's new train set"? I understand that
initial plans are just to cover the existing National Rail linier
"banner" signs with stickers, then move to full Underground-style
square signs in time as stations are refurbished. In additon any
sighting of new LUL signage on the parts of the Bakerloo and District
Lines taken over yesterday would be welcome. I've had an unconfirmed
report that orange-ringed signs have gone up at Kenton, yet of course
these should be red-ringed as this stations now comes under LU, not LO.

Old November 12th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Nov, 11:57, wrote:
Can users help track the spread of the London Overground brand across
the various parts of "London's new train set"? I understand that
initial plans are just to cover the existing National Rail linier
"banner" signs with stickers, then move to full Underground-style
square signs in time as stations are refurbished. In additon any
sighting of new LUL signage on the parts of the Bakerloo and District
Lines taken over yesterday would be welcome. I've had an unconfirmed
report that orange-ringed signs have gone up at Kenton, yet of course
these should be red-ringed as this stations now comes under LU, not LO.

If anyone wants to read it first hand then this post on "The Transport
Forum" is a report of a talk given by TfL's Group Design Manager Innes
Ferguson on the subject of the upcoming London Overground branding
exercise, which was given on Monday 24 September at the LT Museum:

http://billz1064.proboards1.com/inde...d=119067291 3

Regarding the Kenton question, perhaps the plan is for the newly LU
managed stations to be brought up to an appropriate standard first
before they receive the conventional LU station roundel signs - i.e.
there aren't going to be two separate interim station nameboard
styles, instead they'll just be the one that's already being/been
rolled out.

Old November 12th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Can users help track the spread of the London Overground brand across
the various parts of "London's new train set"? I understand that
initial plans are just to cover the existing National Rail linier
"banner" signs with stickers, then move to full Underground-style
square signs in time as stations are refurbished. In additon any
sighting of new LUL signage on the parts of the Bakerloo and District
Lines taken over yesterday would be welcome. I've had an unconfirmed
report that orange-ringed signs have gone up at Kenton, yet of course
these should be red-ringed as this stations now comes under LU, not LO.

The West London Line platforms at West Brompton were fully signed up
on Sunday. Orange station names and the roundel present. Kenton
certainly had the same, but there were still uncovering things.

Also, the car park on the Wealdstone side at Harrow & Wealdstone was
having the signs changed on Sunday morning. It is now a TfL / NCP sign
rather than the old Silverlink one. The attendant's cabin is still in
Silverlink Blue, Grey and Green though.

The new ticket barriers at H&W were in working order too this morning
and at nearly every station, the Silverlink names on signs were
covered over (as they were inside and out on the mainline trains with
tape).

Yesterday, 313 120 had had all the internal maps etc changed for
London Overground, but 313 119 retained the Silverlink ones.

Old November 12th 07, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Nov, 13:04, Andy wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I had a brief look around yesterday and took some snaps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompage...donoverground/

The only place I really noticed branding was at Highbury & Islington
and on the side of one of the class 313s. I thought this was a bit
odd, as Gospel Oak seemed a much more improved station (the ticket
barriers and wide-aisle gate looked very nice), but that had the old
silverlink signs.

Tom

Old November 12th 07, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Nov, 14:59, Tom Page wrote:
On 12 Nov, 13:04, Andy wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I'd wager that the new look will be seen across the whole network by
the end of the week. However - and this does seem to be causing some
confusion - this is the *interim* branding only. When stations are
eventually deemed up to scratch then they'll got a proper LU style
roundel nameboard (i.e. with the station name in the horizontal bar).
See my other post on this thread for more information on this.

Old November 12th 07, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

My own observation attempts today were somewhat thwarted by the fire
near Stratford.

15 mins wait at Stratford Low Level for a NLL train whilst being told
"London Overground services were being delayed due to a fire in the
Hackney area". Typical National Rail-speak - does "delayed" mean a
train due in 5 mins will arrive in 15, or does it mean it's actually
at a stand and not moving? As usual the operator (LO) and the route-
controller (NR) weren't talking to each other, surely Network Rail
knew whether they were running trains through the area or not? And
this is the same dog's breakfast of control that will be introduced to
the East London Line in time.

After a quarter of an hour someone had decided that the NLL *was*
suspended after all, and we were all invited to use alternative bus or
rail routes. So via Central Line, Metropolitan Line and FCC to
Highbury & Islington, only to find that the fire has caused the entire
NLL to be suspended. Incredulously I asked the (LU) member of staff
"Don't they reverse trains anywhere on this line, then?" (No reply, of
course). I wonder if a fire at Chesham would suspend the whole Met
Line? So no chance of checking the signage on the NLL platforms at
H&I.

On to Euston via the Victoria Line, where to my surprise the suburban
platforms are now manned by London Midland staff. I had assumed the
gateline and ticket office would have come under LO but clearly not
so. After jumping on the first train to depart, still in Silverlink
livery but sans lettering, I suddenly realised this ex-STS unit was
being operated by LM, not LO; so would a TFL staff pass be valid
between Euston and Watford Junction? An immediate ticket check by the
guard after departure seemed to suggest it was.

It transpired later that although all Class 313s appear to have had
their Silverlink name and logos covered, only around half have the
replacement "London Overground" blue on white replacement sticker
applied to end cars, and without any roundel.

First sight of new platform roundel signs was glimpsed at Queen's
Park, and it seems that temporary LU red-ringed examples (albeit a bit
of an orangy-red) have gone up at all of the new LU-operated stations
on the DC Lines. These are either self-adhesive or on basic sheet
metal, whilst uniquely at H&W some ex-Silverlink banner signs have
been adapted too. The only exterior I could check was at Kenton where
a white-on-blue upper case New Johnston sticker gave the station name
in usual LU style.

At Willesden Junction, which is under LO, not LU, control, the only
orange-ringed roundels to be seen were on the ticket office fascia
outside, plus within the media junket event being carried out on bay
platform 3 for the "great & good". The former Silverlink banner
platform signs have been covered by black-on-white New Johnston
stickers and prominently branded as a "Temporary sign".

There is evidence of two distinct policies at work here. LO are not
applying their full "brand" onto run-down assets whereas LU are
clearly keen to re-sign some very grotty buildings indeed.

As Peter Hendy droned on in his distinctive monotone, services on the
NLL upstairs were still in chaos. I looked in vain for the 14:44 EB
departure - no information, no visible staff and with the train
describer monitor defective. So it was back to the SB platform to wait
for a Bakerloo train, arriving just as the event was ending with a
round of applause and the dispersal of the most middle-class looking
crowd Willesden Junction has seen for many a year! Downstairs we had
the vision, upstairs there was the reality!

Old November 13th 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

I took a look at Highbury & Islington while passing through, and I noticed
that all the station signs had been changed to Overground colours, while the
Way Out signs were those seen on the Underground.

Any reference to Silverlink was covered up.

What are they going to do with those Oystercard readers at H&I, the ones
just by the main entrance gates to the station?

ps.com...

Old November 13th 07, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Nov, 20:25, wrote:
I took a look at Highbury & Islington while passing through, and I noticed
that all the station signs had been changed to Overground colours, while the
Way Out signs were those seen on the Underground.

Any reference to Silverlink was covered up.

What are they going to do with those Oystercard readers at H&I, the ones
just by the main entrance gates to the station?

Keep them for to cater for people who might be arriving at H&I on a
rail-only ticket and are transferring to the Victoria line or the FCC
Great Northern line (the Moorgate line) or vice versa. Despite Oyster
PAYG becoming valid on the London Overground, it's still entirely
possible for people to be using rail only tickets on it (either
seasons or plain singles/returns).

Old November 14th 07, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Platform sgns policy seems to be as follows:

Willesden Junction - black-on-white LO "temporary signs" (no LO
oundel).

Queen's Park to Harrow & Wealdstone (except WJ) - mainly temporary
sheet metal or self-adhesive square LU red & blue roundel signs, plus
some linier ex-STS "banner" signs at H&W adapted to carry station name
+ separate LU roundel.

Gunnersbury, and Kew Gardens - ex-STS linier "banner" signs at H&W
adapted to carry station name blue-on-white + separate LU roundel.

Blackhorse Road, Highbury & Islington and West Brompton, ex-STS
platforms now under LU control but served by LO - ex-STS "banner"
linier signs adapted to carry station name white-on-orange + separate
LO roundel.

All other GobLin and NLL platforms retain various Silverlink-era
signs, some linier, some rectangular, some still with green & blue
lower STS flash, others at Gospel Oak and west thereof with a green
border.

What's the situation at Olympia and north of H&W?

Old November 14th 07, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

What's the situation at Olympia and north of H&W?

Olympia retains Silverlink signage but has gained an addional ticket
xpress machine by the southbound platform entrance unfortunatly it is
still out of use. Not sure of the situation north of Harrow.