Old September 8th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Walthamstow Central - bus station to tube subway

I had a quick look at a notice at Walthamstow Central last week, which
stated that the tube station ticket office would be closed from Monday
11 September for x months. Seems the final stage of connecting the
subway from the bus station into the tube station is about to start.

It was rather late and I didn't pay an awful lot of attention, but I
think it said the tube ticket office was going to be closed until next
Spring, and reopen with three ticket windows. From that it sounds like
the passageway will enter directly into and level with the landing at
the top of the escalators, with the ticket office being realigned along
the new passageway.

If it was three ticket windows (I may have read wrongly) it seems a
little strange, as I would have thought one or two windows plus several
Oyster-capable ticket machines would have been enough nowadays.

Perhaps however LU feel that they can get more business diverted from
the National Rail ticket offices upstairs, even if people aren't
actually going to use the Victoria line. What might it be worth in
revenue to them for selling (e.g.) a Travelcard compared to the revenue
they would get if bought from the NR office above?

Old September 8th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Sep 2006 13:36:22 -0700, "Harry G"
wrote:

I had a quick look at a notice at Walthamstow Central last week, which
stated that the tube station ticket office would be closed from Monday
11 September for x months. Seems the final stage of connecting the
subway from the bus station into the tube station is about to start.

Well the subway itself is all tiled as is the area leading up into the
bus station. Other fitting out is continuing there. However the most
difficult bit is about to start.

It was rather late and I didn't pay an awful lot of attention, but I
think it said the tube ticket office was going to be closed until next
Spring, and reopen with three ticket windows. From that it sounds like
the passageway will enter directly into and level with the landing at
the top of the escalators, with the ticket office being realigned along
the new passageway.

As the stairs are rather deep I think you are right that will it emerge
at ticket hall level. The office is going to be shut for a long while
and I think it will be chaotic for a fair time - still the agents will
do a roaring trade and earn lots of commission.

If it was three ticket windows (I may have read wrongly) it seems a
little strange, as I would have thought one or two windows plus several
Oyster-capable ticket machines would have been enough nowadays.

I have not seen the design but the existing window and gateline will
have to remain so that leaves only two to be added and I don't know if
those will be outside the paid area. Logically there will be two gate
arrays to look after and I wonder just how much space has been excavated
for a POM enclosure.

Perhaps however LU feel that they can get more business diverted from
the National Rail ticket offices upstairs, even if people aren't
actually going to use the Victoria line. What might it be worth in
revenue to them for selling (e.g.) a Travelcard compared to the revenue
they would get if bought from the NR office above?

When we first put the gates in - I was the project client - there was
massive pressure from the Vic Line management to get POMs and a big
ticket office. This was simply not feasible as there was no space
without underpinning the WAGN tracks and we didn't have the money.
Walthamstow is a remunerative station and was in the top 10 for WAGN -
not sure how it ranks for One as it's a much bigger franchise. If
ticket sales divert to the LU office then LU does not have to pay One
commission on sales and the revenue share on joint tickets varies
depending on who sells the ticket. This is why a transfer at somewhere
like Walthamstow is valuable.

However if sales move too much then the factors all get reassessed
anyway so it is a short term gain. The very limited Oyster renewal
facilities at such a busy station is a serious issue so if there are
more Oyster compatible machines that will be good for passengers.
However with the impending conversion of NR outlets to retail Oyster we
could end up with too much provision at Walthamstow - the people most
likely to cut back are One and that risks the loss of nationwide
ticketing from Walthamstow if we are not too careful.
--
Paul C

Old September 8th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:15:28 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

When we first put the gates in - I was the project client - there was
massive pressure from the Vic Line management to get POMs and a big
ticket office.

Something must be wrong in my internal logic; I'm parsing that as
Prescription Only Medicine...

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 9th 06, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

When we first put the gates in - I was the project client - there was
massive pressure from the Vic Line management to get POMs and a big
ticket office.

Something must be wrong in my internal logic; I'm parsing that as
Prescription Only Medicine...

Ooops LUL speak strikes again - passenger operated machines.
--
Paul C

Old September 9th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

When we first put the gates in - I was the project client - there was
massive pressure from the Vic Line management to get POMs and a big
ticket office.

Something must be wrong in my internal logic; I'm parsing that as
Prescription Only Medicine...

Ooops LUL speak strikes again - passenger operated machines.

LUL-speak includes the word "passenger"?

*faints*

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com

Old September 9th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Harry G wrote:

It was rather late and I didn't pay an awful lot of attention, but I
think it said the tube ticket office was going to be closed until next
Spring

And in the meantime, the lack of any Oyster facilities/windows/machines
whatsoever is going to make it fun trying to travel with a valid ticket.
(Local corner shop which is closed in even the early evenings
notwithstanding.)
Old September 9th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:33:53 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

It was rather late and I didn't pay an awful lot of attention, but I
think it said the tube ticket office was going to be closed until next
Spring

And in the meantime, the lack of any Oyster facilities/windows/machines
whatsoever is going to make it fun trying to travel with a valid ticket.
(Local corner shop which is closed in even the early evenings
notwithstanding.)

From the information available on the web, it seems that the NR ticket
office sells Oyster cards, and is open until 9pm.

NR ticket offices that sell Oyster can also issue Travelcard seasons
on Oyster and top up PAYG, though I don't know if they can do things
like print out journey histories, accept return of card and refund
deposit, etc.
Old September 19th 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:33:53 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

It was rather late and I didn't pay an awful lot of attention, but I
think it said the tube ticket office was going to be closed until next
Spring

And in the meantime, the lack of any Oyster facilities/windows/machines
whatsoever is going to make it fun trying to travel with a valid ticket.
(Local corner shop which is closed in even the early evenings
notwithstanding.)

From the information available on the web, it seems that the NR ticket
office sells Oyster cards, and is open until 9pm.

Yes, the web says that, but I assure you it's 100% untrue.
Old September 19th 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:
asdf wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:33:53 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

It was rather late and I didn't pay an awful lot of attention, but I
think it said the tube ticket office was going to be closed until next
Spring
And in the meantime, the lack of any Oyster
facilities/windows/machines whatsoever is going to make it fun trying
to travel with a valid ticket. (Local corner shop which is closed in
even the early evenings notwithstanding.)

From the information available on the web, it seems that the NR ticket
office sells Oyster cards, and is open until 9pm.

Yes, the web says that, but I assure you it's 100% untrue.

I mean the bit abour selling Oyster - they don't :-)
Old September 19th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:13:45 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Dave Newt wrote:
asdf wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:33:53 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

It was rather late and I didn't pay an awful lot of attention, but I
think it said the tube ticket office was going to be closed until next
Spring
And in the meantime, the lack of any Oyster
facilities/windows/machines whatsoever is going to make it fun trying
to travel with a valid ticket. (Local corner shop which is closed in
even the early evenings notwithstanding.)

From the information available on the web, it seems that the NR ticket
office sells Oyster cards, and is open until 9pm.

Yes, the web says that, but I assure you it's 100% untrue.

I mean the bit abour selling Oyster - they don't :-)

I have to say that the "arrangements" appear to be a shambles. The LU
office is shut. One window in the main NR bit says it does Oyster but
that is often closed. The other windows have signs saying they don't.
It's all academic after 21.00 as there are no ticket facilities at all
on the main side of the station. I think there is a conventional ticket
machine on the Liverpool St side of the station.

One of the PASS agents (the tobacco place near the top of the market)
chose the day of the ticket office closure to shut for what looked like
a substantial refit. This leaves one agent's shop on the bridge and that
doesn't open late either. Why on earth they didn't plonk a temporary
ticket office outside the station in the car park or edging on to the
bus station I do not know. The alternative would be to stick Oyster
compatible kit in the ONE Travel Centre and staff that at all times -
with LU people if necessary.

I pity the poor ONE and LU staff who somehow have to cope with this
shambles at one of the busiest suburban stations on the system.
--
Paul C