Old October 4th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Walthamstow Central update

I noticed the other day that the gateline has been adjusted and the
manual gate has now moved to the other end. The old ticket office
area (and former location of the manual gate) is now behind a much
widened hoarding so it looks like they are at the point of breaking
through from the subway.

The subway itself has progressed significantly and it's all tiled
and lit with railings fitted to the stairs up into the bus station.
There is also a lift from the subway to the bus station but no lifts
inside the tube station down to platform level or up to the "one"
platforms. I guess you can access the "one" platforms from the
street via ramps or otherwise level access if you get off at the bus
station.

Peering through the only small window from the existing ticket hall into
the subway it still looks as if you have to come up a short flight of
stairs from the subway to the ticket hall but that may be deceptive.
It'd also make a (slight) mockery of having a lift at the other end as
there won't be level access to the ticket hall. There also appears
to be a bigger ticket office and POM enclosure under construction at
the ticket hall end of the subway.

The last I heard was that the completion date was November this
year - not sure how late that makes the entire scheme but it must be
at least a year.
--
Paul C

Old October 4th 07, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Oct, 12:08, Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

Old October 4th 07, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

lonelytraveller wrote:

When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

Won't happen. The Victoria line is busy enough already without adding
even more passengers cough customers to it. Wait until Crossrail 2 is
built...

Cheers

Steve M
Old October 4th 07, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:59:17 -0700, lonelytraveller
wrote:

When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

Never would be my answer to that. There's no real demand for it and
certainly no political clamour.

Depending on whatever happens with the Chingford line - i.e. via Clapton
to Liv St or via a reinstated curve and via Stratford to Liv St - I
would like to see a wholesale change in how it's run. I'd like to see a
more "turn up and go" frequency and I'd like several new stations built
on it to provide a more useful service in Waltham Forest.

Stations could be added at Forest Road, Fulbourne Rd / A406 and at
Chingford Hatch. You could possibly squeeze one in at Coppermill Lane as
well. Ideally more tram / train like vehicles with high acceleration and
braking should be provided to replace the current units which would
provide the requisite line capacity for a much more frequent service.
I'd almost be tempted to suggest driving on sight for the line once it
was past Clapton Junction - provided, of course, that there was no need
for ECS workings of other stock to and from Chingford sidings.

If we get things like the Hackney Downs / Hackney Central link [1], the
link from Walthamstow Central to Queens Road [2] plus stations on the
line to Stratford at Lea Bridge Road and Ruckholt Road then you get a
very useful rail based local transit network that would provide easy and
convenient access within the Borough and into the Overground / Tube /
DLR and Crossrail network and still into the City. It would also allow
some elements of the local bus network to be redeployed as rail would
provide some of the key borough wide links.

[1] apparently on Network Rail's list of works.
[2] apparently on the verge of collapse due to the apathy of the parties
to actually enforce past agreements.
--
Paul C

Old October 5th 07, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message oups.com...

When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

Using that impeccable logic, why not finish the District Line by going to
Reading, or Southampton? In the latter case the tracks are already
connected...

Paul

Old October 5th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message oups.com...

When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

Using that impeccable logic, why not finish the District Line by going
to Reading, or Southampton? In the latter case the tracks are already
connected...

Don't be daft, man - the first priority is to restore the through service
to Southend!

tom

--
Gin makes a man mean; let's booze up and riot!
Old October 5th 07, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Wasn't there a proposal a few years back to extend the Metropolitan
out onto one of the Liverpool Street lines? I suppose all the
rebuilding at Liverpool St. and the overhead line issues scuppered
that?

Old October 5th 07, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Oct, 19:59, lonelytraveller
wrote:

When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

The original intention was for the Victoria line to come to the
surface, and terminate at Wood Street, giving a cross-platform
interchange to what were then the BR lines. This is one of three
cases where an extension has been shortened by one station from it's
intended destination, the others being Denham and Camberwell. Maybe we
should propose extensions that go one stop beyond where we actually
want them to go.

Old October 5th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
When are they going to finish the victoria line and take it up as far
as chingford, taking over the rest of the One lines from Walthamstow -
the tunnel only has a few yards to go before it meets the tracks?

The original intention was for the Victoria line to come to the
surface, and terminate at Wood Street, giving a cross-platform
interchange to what were then the BR lines. This is one of three
cases where an extension has been shortened by one station from it's
intended destination, the others being Denham and Camberwell. Maybe we
should propose extensions that go one stop beyond where we actually
want them to go.

I thought the Camberwell one was back on?
Besides, Camberwell wasn't the final destination, it was meant to go
to Lewisham.