Old September 15th 06, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Default Unresolved Journey

I got my first unresolved journey yesterday but what am I expected, not
that I should be, do about it.
I appears that a journey from Kings X on the 16 Aug is unresolved, in
fact it wasn't from Kings X but from Aldgate East to Brent X changing
at Kings X. I remember the journey well, it took 45 minutes to get to
Golders Green from Kings X.
I was putting money on the card at the booking office at North
Greenwich yesterday but the staff said that there nothing that they
could do about it.
What happens now. I looked on the TfL site but I could find nothing
about unresolved journies. The cap had applied that day anyway and I
have put a customer complaint in about the delay.
I definitely swiped out at Brent X. Do I just leave it there.

Kevin

Old September 15th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I got my first unresolved journey yesterday but what am I expected, not
that I should be, do about it.
I appears that a journey from Kings X on the 16 Aug is unresolved, in
fact it wasn't from Kings X but from Aldgate East to Brent X changing
at Kings X. I remember the journey well, it took 45 minutes to get to
Golders Green from Kings X.
I was putting money on the card at the booking office at North
Greenwich yesterday but the staff said that there nothing that they
could do about it.
What happens now. I looked on the TfL site but I could find nothing
about unresolved journies. The cap had applied that day anyway and I
have put a customer complaint in about the delay.
I definitely swiped out at Brent X. Do I just leave it there.

I don't know the definitive answer but I'd rather assumed that it was fine
to leave it there and that it is only really an issue if it has cost you
money.

Apart from the one time on a bus where the reader said my PAYG only Oyster
wasn't valid for the zones the bus was in (I suspect the recently introduced
auto top-up might have confused it), I had my first ever Oyster problem on
Tuesday evening.

I made a tube journey from Wimbledon to Fulham Broadway. I touched in on
the platform at Wimbledon correctly (I had arrived by tram) but when I
touched out on the validator at Fulham Broadway (the stadium exit was in
use) it showed an entry and not an exit. I didn't have time to do anything
about it and so this non-existent journey timed out, thus costing me 1.00
and removing my ability to be capped for my journeys. Net result was I was
over charged 1.60 and if the tram platform validators had been working at
Wimbledon it would have been 2.40. It rather sounds like if the same thing
happened next year it would cost me a lot more than that.

Today I was able to see my journey history online. There is no mention of
my exit/entry at Fulham Broadway at all. 1.00 just vanishes from my balance
between my entry at Wimbledon and an entry at Fulham Broadway for my return
journey later that evening.

While on the subject of the journey history, I do find it somewhat unhelpful
that it shows the balance being debited on entry. Although that might
possibly be what actually happens in reality, it doesn't correspond to what
you see on your journey. When you enter your current balance is shown and
only when you exit is the cost of your journey and your debited balance
shown.

G.

Old September 15th 06, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

Graham J wrote:

I don't know the definitive answer but I'd rather assumed that it was fine
to leave it there and that it is only really an issue if it has cost you
money.

It is the just leaving it there that is puzzling. I would expect to be
charged at the least a zone 1 journey (which would have been capped
anyway) but can't deal with it because I might have gone to West
Ruislip.

Kevin

Old September 15th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:
I got my first unresolved journey yesterday but what am I expected, not
that I should be, do about it.
I appears that a journey from Kings X on the 16 Aug is unresolved, in
fact it wasn't from Kings X but from Aldgate East to Brent X changing
at Kings X. I remember the journey well, it took 45 minutes to get to
Golders Green from Kings X.
I was putting money on the card at the booking office at North
Greenwich yesterday but the staff said that there nothing that they
could do about it.
What happens now. I looked on the TfL site but I could find nothing
about unresolved journies. The cap had applied that day anyway and I
have put a customer complaint in about the delay.
I definitely swiped out at Brent X. Do I just leave it there.

Kevin

I am not an expert of unresolved journeys, but I thought I'd post what
I was told yesterday by the ticket office clerk at Kings Cross. As of
November, ticket office staff will not be able to make adjustments to
Oyster Cards for unresolved journeys and that they would all be charged
at £4. The only way of resolving such a journey is if the issue is
flagged up at the time it happens.

If I get an unresolved journey, it is usually as a result of going on
the DLR through Bank. If I touch in at the main ticket barriers at
Bank, do I need to touch in at the DLR platform as well?

If I change at Bank, are the tube and DLR segments of my journey
charged as separate trips?

Cheers,

Simon

Old September 15th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

wrote:
Kev wrote:
[...]

It would seem that they are unable to resolve unresolved journies as of
now.I hope that I am not going to be charged £4 for a journey from
Kings X to Brent X that took 45 minutes.

Kevin

Old September 15th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

Excuse the followup to my own post.

I e-mailed the Oyster helpdesk on Wednesday to request a refund. Today I
got a response telling me that the lack of capping was caused by an
incomplete journey at Wimbledon and that I would be refunded the 0.60 I was
overcharged by a voucher to take to a tube station ticket office. Not
terribly useful since I never go to tube ticket offices, and even less
useful because I was overcharged 1.60.

If by an incomplete journey at Wimbledon they mean one that started there
then that would indeed make sense. How it came to be incomplete is a
mystery though. Can those validators be setup for entry only rather than
you usual entry and exit? If they can be then perhaps that is what went
wrong.

G.

Old September 15th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

If I get an unresolved journey, it is usually as a result of going on
the DLR through Bank. If I touch in at the main ticket barriers at
Bank, do I need to touch in at the DLR platform as well?

The validators by the DLR platform are a cause of much mystery and
speculation. There is a theory that they are intended for use by passengers
accessing the platforms via the mobility impaired lift as this bypasses the
main ticket barriers. However it has also been pointed out that they are
set for entry only (thus answering a question I posed elsewhere in this
discussion) meaning that passengers using those lifts wouldn't have anywhere
to touch out. I'm not sure a definitive answer has been posted anywhere on
this subject.

Old September 15th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Sep 2006 06:26:07 -0700, wrote:

I am not an expert of unresolved journeys, but I thought I'd post what
I was told yesterday by the ticket office clerk at Kings Cross. As of
November, ticket office staff will not be able to make adjustments to
Oyster Cards for unresolved journeys and that they would all be charged
at £4. The only way of resolving such a journey is if the issue is
flagged up at the time it happens.

Though even then, they may not be able to fix it - they can only do
anything about the most recent 'journey' on the card.

I've managed to pick up unresolved journeys on three occasions. On one
of these, the system created 2 'journeys' on my card for one 'real'
journey; on another, it generated 3. Both times, I queried it
immediately at the ticket office, but the system wouldn't let them
edit anything other than the most recent one, and the Oyster helpline
refused to resolve anything because my card is unregistered (I don't
know if this policy has since changed), so there was simply no way to
fix it.

If I get an unresolved journey, it is usually as a result of going on
the DLR through Bank. If I touch in at the main ticket barriers at
Bank, do I need to touch in at the DLR platform as well?

This validator at Bank is a bit of a bugbear. Its behaviour seems to
be distinctly odd. As far as Oyster ticketing is concerned, the DLR is
just another Tube line, so there no reason why you should ever need to
touch it (just like you wouldn't when changing between Tube lines).

Despite this, I don't think anyone's managed to find a definitive
answer to your question. I think the only way you're ever going to
find out is by experimenting.

If I change at Bank, are the tube and DLR segments of my journey
charged as separate trips?

No. You're just charged the normal Tube fare for the zones you pass
through.
Old September 15th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Sep 2006 00:51:16 -0700, Kev wrote:

I got my first unresolved journey yesterday but what am I expected, not
that I should be, do about it.

Usually, when you try to top up, the ticket machine displays a message
telling you to phone the Oyster helpline about it.

I appears that a journey from Kings X on the 16 Aug is unresolved, in
fact it wasn't from Kings X but from Aldgate East to Brent X changing
at Kings X. I remember the journey well, it took 45 minutes to get to
Golders Green from Kings X.

Sounds like something went wrong during the out-of-station interchange
at KX. Did anything unusual happen as you went through the barriers
there?

I was putting money on the card at the booking office at North
Greenwich yesterday but the staff said that there nothing that they
could do about it.

Unless it's changed recently, they can only do something about it if
it's the most recent journey on the card.

What happens now. I looked on the TfL site but I could find nothing
about unresolved journies.

Their publicity is very much dumbed-down. Someone here was planning to
start a website with more detailed information about Oyster, but I
don't think anything has happened on that front as yet.

The cap had applied that day anyway and I
have put a customer complaint in about the delay.
I definitely swiped out at Brent X. Do I just leave it there.

Depends whether you can be bothered to phone the helpline (and whether
you want to pay - it's an 0845 number).

Unresolved journeys used to drop off your journey history after a
while, but nowadays they seem to stick around on the card forever
unless you get something done about them.
Old September 15th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

Reply to the email and say you would prefer it credited to your card and
specify a station you will pass through in the next week. For some reason
they do not suggest this, but if you ask they will.