Old September 19th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default a new commute...

Hi all,

I live in west malling and currently work in central london, which
makes for a nice hour long commute on the train. I've just been
offered a job in Sidcup, but don't know much about the area/traffic
etc, and am basically looking for advice on the commute - what you'd
recommend & what things are like on a day to day basis. I'd be aiming
to leave kent 7-7:30 and leave work about 5ish.

As I see it my options would be

a) Drive
b) Train to Swanley; bus to Sidcup
c) Train to St Mary Cray, bus to Sidcup

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Steve

Old September 20th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Option 1: If you drive, you will be fine, until you get to the Sidcup
turning of the A20. It can take upto 15 minutes to get off the slip road.

Option 2: Not really practical

Option 3: Probably the best option, as most of the journey is via bus lanes

ups.com...

Old September 20th 06, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I live in west malling and currently work in central london, which
makes for a nice hour long commute on the train. I've just been
offered a job in Sidcup, but don't know much about the area/traffic
etc, and am basically looking for advice on the commute - what you'd
recommend & what things are like on a day to day basis. I'd be aiming
to leave kent 7-7:30 and leave work about 5ish.

As I see it my options would be

a) Drive
b) Train to Swanley; bus to Sidcup
c) Train to St Mary Cray, bus to Sidcup

Or possibly:

d) Drive to somewhere on the line that goes to Dartford (somewhere like
Snodland?), and get a direct train from there to Sidcup.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old September 20th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I live in west malling and currently work in central london, which
makes for a nice hour long commute on the train. I've just been
offered a job in Sidcup, but don't know much about the area/traffic
etc, and am basically looking for advice on the commute - what you'd
recommend & what things are like on a day to day basis. I'd be aiming
to leave kent 7-7:30 and leave work about 5ish.

As I see it my options would be

a) Drive
b) Train to Swanley; bus to Sidcup
c) Train to St Mary Cray, bus to Sidcup

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Steve

I live a few miles from Sidcup and would definitely opt for option (a) and
drive, particularly if work offers you a parking space. Sidcup area is a
bit buggered at the moment with gas mains work in the High Street which is
creating long-ish queues around Sidcup routes in the peaks, though they
won't last forever. Don't despair if your commute take a little longer
before the High Street is back to normal.

I'd imagine train and bus would be a lot longer, even with congestion.

Nick