Old September 29th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Default Expanded Thames Clipper Service

I heard something on the news that AEG, new owners of the Millenium
Dome have bought a big share in the Thames Clipper service and are
looking to buy six new boats next year to expand the service. Anyone
know any more detail?

I wonder if this means theyll use the pier at the Dome as a stop on the
Woolwich service?

I wonder what the new boats will be called? I reckon Typhoon Clipper,
Millenium Clipper and Rain Clipper are possibles.

I hope the association with the Dome doesnt end up cursing the Clipper
service

Rob

Old September 29th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...

I wonder what the new boats will be called? I reckon Typhoon Clipper,
Millenium Clipper and Rain Clipper are possibles.

Nail Clipper? Ticket Clipper? Clipp'er around the ear'ole?

Ian

Old September 29th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob wrote:
I heard something on the news that AEG, new owners of the Millenium
Dome have bought a big share in the Thames Clipper service and are
looking to buy six new boats next year to expand the service. Anyone
know any more detail?

I wonder if this means theyll use the pier at the Dome as a stop on the
Woolwich service?

This weeks 'The Wharf' has the story - http://tinyurl.com/gxmgp

However the story also says that at present there's no ferry pier
serving the Dome. Have they taken away the one that was put in for the
Millennium then?

Old October 2nd 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob wrote:

I hope the association with the Dome doesnt end up cursing the Clipper
service

As do I - used it once or twice and it's great. It would be good if
TfL bought a load of new boats themselves and made it a full part of
the Travelcard system.

Neil

Old October 2nd 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Neil Williams wrote:
Rob wrote:

I hope the association with the Dome doesnt end up cursing the Clipper
service

As do I - used it once or twice and it's great. It would be good if
TfL bought a load of new boats themselves and made it a full part of
the Travelcard system.

Neil

They could restore the Cutty Sark to use, and then it really would be a
clipper service ...

Old October 2nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

MIG wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
Rob wrote:

I hope the association with the Dome doesnt end up cursing the Clipper
service

As do I - used it once or twice and it's great. It would be good if
TfL bought a load of new boats themselves and made it a full part of
the Travelcard system.

Neil

They could restore the Cutty Sark to use, and then it really would be a
clipper service ...

Id like to see Lightning Clipper, ideally a really fast boat doing a
Woolwich to Putney service

Rob

Old October 2nd 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Oct 2006 07:32:45 -0700, "Rob" wrote:

MIG wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
Rob wrote:

I hope the association with the Dome doesnt end up cursing the Clipper
service

As do I - used it once or twice and it's great. It would be good if
TfL bought a load of new boats themselves and made it a full part of
the Travelcard system.

Neil

They could restore the Cutty Sark to use, and then it really would be a
clipper service ...

Id like to see Lightning Clipper, ideally a really fast boat doing a
Woolwich to Putney service

Rob

The river wildlife and embankments probably don't share your
enthusiasm.
Old October 2nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MIG wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
Rob wrote:

I hope the association with the Dome doesnt end up cursing the Clipper
service

As do I - used it once or twice and it's great. It would be good if
TfL bought a load of new boats themselves and made it a full part of
the Travelcard system.

They could restore the Cutty Sark to use, and then it really would be a
clipper service ...

Id like to see Lightning Clipper, ideally a really fast boat doing a
Woolwich to Putney service

The river wildlife and embankments probably don't share your
enthusiasm.

Hovercraft!

tom

--
The sky above the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead
channel
Old October 5th 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

service ...

Id like to see Lightning Clipper, ideally a really fast boat doing a
Woolwich to Putney service

Rob

The river wildlife and embankments probably don't share your
enthusiasm.

Not sure what wildlife your talking about between Woolwich and Putney -
rats? pigeons? Still I cant see how theyd be any more disturbed than
they are already by the RNLI boats or the Embankment Putney river bus
which go pretty fast.

Thankfully on that stretch the embankments are massive walls of
concrete, if theyre in danger of being damaged by wash from boats I
think someone needs to look at Londons flood plan again.

Ultimately more wildlife is at risk from pollution caused by road
transport, better use of river transport is surely better for wildlife
in the long run.

Rob

Old October 5th 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob wrote:

Ultimately more wildlife is at risk from pollution caused by road
transport, better use of river transport is surely better for wildlife
in the long run.

I'm not sure - the speed the Clippers go probably isn't exactly
fuel-efficient.

Neil