Old October 17th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Card Users - info on incomplete journeys

Robin Mayes wrote:
For stations are currently being "trialed"

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

wrote:

A bit of advance warning for those who haven't heard - from November,
if you use pre-pay Oyster, and you fail to touch in or out at any point
of your travels where you're supposed to do so, you will find yourself
being charged £4.00 for the incomplete journey.

All the signs up say this came in on October 10th.

I also saw one of these posters today - I took particular note of it
given the previous discussions here on utl had suggested this change
wasn't coming until November. I'll try and take a snap of one of the
posters tomorrow and post a link here.

Hmm. It's taken me the best part of five minutes to make sense of this
post. After scrolling back a few messages, and back down again, I've
finally tumbled to the fact that some chuff-wit has top posted and left
the previous message completely intact.

For the benefit of all chuff-wits everywhe trim the message to which
you're replying; then start your reply underneath it. Otherwise it just
looks like you're repeating someone else's post.

Oh, and I don't usually get too worked up about spelling, but "for"??
"For"? What ITNOF am I supposed to be derive from that??
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================

Old October 17th 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article . com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Nor (again AFAIA) will it cause any problems if you touch-in a
second time, say if you weren't sure if you're first attempt was
successful.

The problem is when you touch in when you should have been using
a paper ticket for the particular journey. There appears to be no
way to undo that mistake at the time. It's easily done if you have
to use a combination of tickets.

I'm not quite sure what you've done but I've certainly touched-in
with an Oyster when I should've used the paper Day Travelcard I'd
bought for that days travels. Probably did that a couple of times but
I've learnt my lesson now - I put my Oyster out of harms way deep in
my wallet, which counter-acts my absent mindedness when I come across
an automatic barrier that wants a ticket - the only ticket to hand is
the right ticket!.

It's harder to make sure you use the right ticket when you need both on
the same day, though.

By the by, I didn't 'undo' those mistakes, they just continued to be
displayed as unresolved journeys for x number of months afterwards.
Of course such a mistake will cost one a lot more now - which is
exactly your point. My point, I guess, is just don't make those kind of
mistakes.

I tried to fix the problem at my destination station (East Putney). I
couldn't because there was no staff visible.

So I tried the next morning both there and at my destination (St James's
Park). They couldn't help me.

Eventually I got through to the helpline who were most helpful and
agreed to credit my credit card.

In all this the records shown at ticket machines for the ticket kept
changing very confusingly. Initially there was no unresolved journey
shown.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 17th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joyce Whitchurch wrote:

wrote:

Tell me about it, the thing is that inevitably someone with an
incomplete journey cannot understand what they did wrong. The basic
thing people need to learn is there's more to successfully touching in
or out than waving your Oyster in the air in the approximate vicinity
of the reader. It must beep at you once, and will show you on the
screen that it has been successful.

There's a screen? Where?

I can see a reader. I can hear some beeps. But the only way I can tell
if my journey has been costed correctly is by finding one of the few
Underground ticket machines (without a queue in front of them) that will
tell me what journeys I've made.

You're confusing two things here Joyce!

A standalone reader - one not attached to a gate - has a dot-matrix LCD
screen that displays some simple text. In standby mode it says
something like "READY" - once you do touch in it has a two line display
saying "DEDUCTED £1.00 / BALANCE £5.50" for example. There is also a
separate light that is normally yellow which will turn to green if you
successfully touch-in/out.

There are similar text displays on the Oyster readers on bus ticket
machines, and on the readers on bendy buses, as well as on Underground
ticket gates. The new gates also show this information prominently on
the display next to the green 'walk-through' arrow (a possibly personal
security risk, but that's another discussion!) , the older modified
ticket gates have a very small text display near the Oyster reader.

The thing you're getting the muddled up with is the touch-screen ticket
machines that allow you to view your recent journey history (last 8
journeys).

This same journey history is also available via your online Oyster
account as long as you fulfil some conditions such as buying PAYG
top-up online and collecting it by passing through the gates at a
nominated Tube station. Apparently the online journey history facility
is being tested and will roll out to all other registered users over
time. I must admit that (unusually for someone who likes to fiddle with
such things) I haven't yet got this up and running myself so it's a bit
of a mystery to me too.

You can also - if your card is registered - get a three month print-out
of your journey history sent to you from Oyster customer services, and
possibly get some kind of print out from LU ticket offices.

Old October 17th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article .com,
(Mizter T) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

[...]

I don't think unresolved journeys show up until the next day, at least
under the current configuration.

I only bothered twice to try and resolve an unresolved journey, both
times early in the days of Oyster. The first time (caused by someone
else borrowing it and not touching out) the lady at the ticket office
looked a bit confused then erroneously refunded me the whole fare. The
second time (the cause of which was my fault) the guy just said "it
doesn't matter, it'll go away" - and true enough, it eventually did.

The dire warning displayed on the touch-screen ticket machines that
almost commands passengers to go at once to a ticket office to resolve
their unresolved journeys could - up to now at least - be ignored.
Presumably, given that under the incoming system (from November)
unresolved journeys cannot be resolved at ticket offices, this text
will be removed, and possibly replaced with some other explaination.

Old October 17th 06, 11:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

You're confusing two things here Joyce!

Not necessarily!

A standalone reader - one not attached to a gate - has a dot-matrix LCD
screen that displays some simple text. In standby mode it says
something like "READY" - once you do touch in it has a two line display
saying "DEDUCTED £1.00 / BALANCE £5.50" for example. There is also a
separate light that is normally yellow which will turn to green if you
successfully touch-in/out.

This is the bit that I don't get. My impression, from occasional very
hurried forays into the Metropolis, is that /some/ and by no means /all/
Oyster readers have this kind of display. Most have nothing. Perhaps I'm
missing them, perhaps I just don't know where to look. But when I'm
fleeing like the White Rabbit into the depths of t'Underground, the only
thing I really notice is whether the wretched gate opens or not.

I have on occasion noticed screens at Tube station gates that say
something along the lines of "one pound seventy pence deducted" - in
figures obviously, not words. And then at other stations, when I've
looked for just such a screen with just such a confirmation, I've found
nothing, nothing at all. Since I've got the hordes of Midian beating
down upon me, I don't tend to hang about but go through the gate and
query the journey later, at one of the big fancy ticket machines.

What I would /like/ to see is something that tells me how much money
I've just thrown away. At the ticket barrier, as I commence my journey.
It's not rocket science, surely?
Old October 17th 06, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Joyce Whitchurch wrote:

Robin Mayes wrote:
For stations are currently being "trialed"

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Wel sed Joyse. Top-postin iz well confuzin. Dat man Mayes managed 2
mangle my post gud 'n' propa.

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htmz

--
Mizter T
=================================

Old October 17th 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htmz

? ?? "Error 404 occurred"?

Oh, hang on a mo' - you mean
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm. Gotcha!
Old October 18th 06, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:20:10 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

A bit of advance warning for those who haven't heard - from November,
if you use pre-pay Oyster, and you fail to touch in or out at any point
of your travels where you're supposed to do so, you will find yourself
being charged £4.00 for the incomplete journey.

All the signs up say this came in on October 10th.

consults briefing material

The date of introduction is Sunday 19th November 2006.

If you don't mind Paul, could you confirm whether ticket offices won't
be able to fix incomplete journeys any more? (The OP reported it as
something of a rumour.)

I can't see any advantage whatsoever in making such a change (except
perhaps small savings in ticket office staff training, or extra money
from people phoning the 0845 helpline). On the face of it, it would
seem almost deliberately obstructive, and certainly against the spirit
of customer service (which is normally very good).