Old November 15th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster incomplete journeys - further info

wrote:
Well today the posters went up all over the place about the changes
coming to how incomplete journeys are charged on pre-pay Oyster cards,
and most staff should by now have had some training on what's
happening. The whole thing starts from 19th November 2006 (apart from
the few stations who've had it already for a couple weeks, as a test)
and will affect anyone using pre-pay Oyster who doesn't touch in or out
correctly.

Basically for any journey that is not validated at start AND finish (by
touching on the yellow readers) you will be charged £4 (which is the
maximum cash price for a 1-6 single).

I have yet another prepay question, about the procedure for touching
out:

Some stations (e.g. New Cross) have Oyster touchpads on the platforms
and no ticket gates or touchpads in the ticket hall.

Other stations (e.g. Farringdon) have Oyster validators on the
platforms as well as ticket gates with touchpads in the ticket hall.

When I arrive at an unfamiliar destination station by tube (having
touched in at the start of my journey) and spot Oyster touchpads on the
platform, is there anyway of telling whether I am expected to touch out
there? Or am I expected to walk upstairs, discover that there aren't
any ticket gates, and then return to the platform to touch out?

If I took the tube to Farringdon and touched out on the platform and
again at the ticket gates, would I have a problem?

PaulO

Old November 15th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Oter wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I would say that in general, platform validators are for interchange
only - unless you can actually see an exit with no gates. Therefore at
places like New Cross and Olympia, when you arrive at the platform
validator you can see that there is no Oyster reader at the exit.
Elsewhere, there are either gates or validators provided at the station
exit for those leaving (e.g. Farringdon, Highbury & Islington, King's
Cross Thameslink).

I'm not sure whether this holds true across the system. I think there is
a distinct lack of useful signing next to Oyster validators (just a
simple instruction would be enough - "touch here only if changing to or
from National Rail services" or "Underground users, touch here if
entering or leaving the station".

Paddington H&C is a particularly idiotic example. There is a validator
on the platform for those interchanging to/from FGW local services on
particular platforms - but if you are interchanging to services on any
of the other platforms, you need to pass through the proper gate line on
the footbridge instead. There is no information next to the platform
validators to show that this is the case, and you can't see the ticket
gates from the platforms. IMHO, it would have made more sense to put a
validator on the footbridge so you could see that it was an either/or
situation.

If I took the tube to Farringdon and touched out on the platform and
again at the ticket gates, would I have a problem?

Not entirely sure. I would guess no - so long as you used the pads on
the proper gates and not the validator at the side gate (along the lines
of Wimbledon). Someone else might know...

--
Dave Arquati
Old November 16th 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:50 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

Oh dear! You'll be telling us that London is divided into 0207 and 0208
next!

Of course not - it's divided into 0207, 0208 and 0203 these days. :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-)

(Is 5 smileys enough to show that I don't mean it?)
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Old November 16th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Philip K
writes
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

Oh dear! You'll be telling us that London is divided into 0207 and 0208
next!

Of course not - it's divided into 0207, 0208 and 0203 these days. :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-)

(Is 5 smileys enough to show that I don't mean it?)

Don't laugh. The newsletter we official guides get actually had an
article some months ago saying that London was about to get a new
"extra" code in the form of 0203. I could have screamed. (Although
everyone I've moaned to about it can't see my point of view and
genuinely believes it to be simply a new extra code.)

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old November 16th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:19:32 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

In message , Philip K
writes
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

Oh dear! You'll be telling us that London is divided into 0207 and 0208
next!

Of course not - it's divided into 0207, 0208 and 0203 these days. :-)

(Is 5 smileys enough to show that I don't mean it?)

Don't laugh. The newsletter we official guides get actually had an
article some months ago saying that London was about to get a new
"extra" code in the form of 0203.

So did the Evening Standard, FFS!