Old December 3rd 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line Disappointment, Sat 2 December

I returned from Chalk Farm to Burnt Oak last night, starting at about
22.30 but did not enjoy the experience.

The first indicated train was signed as 'Edgware 10 mins' when we arrived.

We waited at least that long, only to see 'GOLDERS GREEN' on the front
of the train, which was packed with many revellers somewhat the worse
for wear.

I decided to let that train go, not wishing to change trains.

The wait for the next train was about 5 minutes and that one, which was
fairly full. At Golders Green, many of the previous train's revellers
piled on, making it almost as crowded as in the rush hour.

Is there any reason known to people here why the service interval was so long?

Can anything be done about discrepancies between the platform and the
train destination indicators?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old December 3rd 06, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
[...]

I doubt it, the Northern Line is beyond hope. I would have got a bus to
Swiss Cottage then Jubilee Line to Queensbury which I think is also
within reasonable distance for you.

Old December 4th 06, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Earl Purple" typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
[...]

Leaving my poor partner to push my wheelchair even further? I think not.

Queensbury Station is 3/4 mile away,downhill, and the 114 runs every
half hour in the late evening. Burnt Oak is 1/2 mile, with 7 buses
passing our door each way every hour.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.
Old December 5th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

[...]

I have the misfortune to travel on the Northern Line to get to work,
the last time I complained to TFL about the indicator boards being
wrong I got the reply that they should be fixed by the end of the
decade.

Andy

Old December 5th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

AndyColeman wrote:
I have the misfortune to travel on the Northern Line to get to work,
the last time I complained to TFL about the indicator boards being
wrong I got the reply that they should be fixed by the end of the
decade.

I go out of my way to avoid using that line even though it is the
closest line to where I live. "Thameslink" is within easy cycling
distance and comfortable once you are actually on the train although
suffers from low frequency to the "local" stations. Perhaps why I drive
round the North Circular to use Bowes Park station with Bounds Green
within 3 minutes walk if there is any problem (or if it's late and the
next train to Bowes Park is 15 minutes away).

Old December 5th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"AndyColeman" typed

I have the misfortune to travel on the Northern Line to get to work,
the last time I complained to TFL about the indicator boards being
wrong I got the reply that they should be fixed by the end of the
decade.

Which decade was this?

They were wrong when both my Dad and I used it to go to work in the
1980's (we caught the first train, thinking it was right for one of us
but found it was right for the other...)

They have been wrong ths decade and last.

ISTR they were better in the 70's...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.