Old December 5th 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU to take over Silverlink stations

Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone and Transport for London today
announced that eleven stations currently managed by Silverlink Metro
will become the operational responsibility of London Underground when
the North London Railway transfers to Transport for London in November
2007. The move means that an important part of the overland rail
network in London, along with staff currently employed by Silverlink
Metro, will pass into the public sector, bringing investment and safety
improvements for passengers and staff alike.

The stations have suffered from a lack of investment and are felt by
many passengers to be extremely unwelcoming. Modernisation plans are
now being developed to improve staffing levels, and station safety and
security. The Mayor is committed to ensuring that all stations will be
staffed at all times while trains are running, and better lighting,
CCTV and help points are to be fitted at all stations.

The stations to come under London Underground control a

Queen's Park to Harrow & Wealdstone on the Bakerloo line, excluding
Willesden Junction
Kew Gardens and Gunnersbury on the District line
North London Railway platforms at Blackhorse Road, Highbury & Islington
and West Brompton stations.
Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London said:

"The transfer of these stations to London Underground in 2007 will
allow us to invest in better staffing and security for passengers.
Public sector control of these stations will mean real improvements -
including putting staff back into stations where the public want to see
them, giving passengers a more visible and reassuring presence
throughout opening hours.

"I welcome the transfer of these staff to London Underground."

Tim O'Toole, LU Managing Director said:

"This is a great opportunity for London Underground that I'm sure
will be welcomed by passengers.

"The proposal reflects the fact that London Underground is already
the operator of the majority of train services from these stations. We
have plans to invest in and improve these stations - they have suffered
from a lack of investment and passengers often feel unsafe while
waiting for their trains. We also plan to improve safety and security,
with staff at stations as long as they are open.

"We will now work to reach an agreement with our trade unions to
enable London Underground to operate these stations, which recognises
that Network Rail will continue to manage and maintain the
infrastructure."

Network Rail will retain ownership of the stations and will still own
and maintain the track north of Queen's Park and along the length of
the North London Railway. A station refurbishment programme is planned
to commence during 2008.

Staff currently employed by Silverlink Metro at these stations will
transfer to LU under Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of
Employment) regulations.

Following transfer, stations will be staffed throughout the operating
day leading to immediate improvements in safety and security.

Old December 5th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone and Transport for London today
announced that eleven stations currently managed by Silverlink Metro
will become the operational responsibility of London Underground when
the North London Railway transfers to Transport for London in November
2007. The move means that an important part of the overland rail
network in London, along with staff currently employed by Silverlink
Metro, will pass into the public sector, bringing investment and safety
improvements for passengers and staff alike.

Is it to be assumed therefore that the other NLR stations (which aren't
shared with underground services) will be managed by the Overground
franchisee?

Paul

Old December 5th 06, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Presumably, indeed I would have thought the cut price "LUL-lite"
proto-Overground organisation would have taken over all the Silverlink
stations.

Old December 5th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Old December 5th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Old December 5th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oops ..yes I've made my point!

Old December 5th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:56:56 -0000, "John Rowland"

Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone and Transport for London today
announced that eleven stations currently managed by Silverlink Metro
will become the operational responsibility of London Underground

snip

"We will now work to reach an agreement with our trade unions to
enable London Underground to operate these stations,

By saying it *will* happen before they have reached an agreement with the
union, haven't they put themselves over a barrel?

I doubt it very much - the TUPE'd staff are hardly going to demand to be
on different terms to their LU counterparts. I think it is (probably)
safe to say that LU pay, conditions and pension will be better than
Silverlink. The only exception *may* be long served former BR staff
where pension issues may come into play but I am guessing here.

I think the RMT and TSSA will be delighted to be taking on new members
and also pleased with the move from private to public sector operation.
The main battleground seems to be on the North London Railway concession
and what happens to East London Line staff currently with LU.
--
Paul C

Old December 5th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message

I doubt it very much - the TUPE'd staff are hardly going to demand to be
on different terms to their LU counterparts. I think it is (probably)
safe to say that LU pay, conditions and pension will be better than
Silverlink. The only exception *may* be long served former BR staff
where pension issues may come into play but I am guessing here.

I think the RMT and TSSA will be delighted to be taking on new members
and also pleased with the move from private to public sector operation.
The main battleground seems to be on the North London Railway concession
and what happens to East London Line staff currently with LU.
--

Here's a (not too serious!) idea Paul, why not transfer the ELL LU staff to
the Silverlink stations that become LU's responsibility, and the former BR

Paul S

Old December 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:19:57 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

I doubt it very much - the TUPE'd staff are hardly going to demand to be
on different terms to their LU counterparts. I think it is (probably)
safe to say that LU pay, conditions and pension will be better than
Silverlink. The only exception *may* be long served former BR staff
where pension issues may come into play but I am guessing here.

I think the RMT and TSSA will be delighted to be taking on new members
and also pleased with the move from private to public sector operation.
The main battleground seems to be on the North London Railway concession
and what happens to East London Line staff currently with LU.

Here's a (not too serious!) idea Paul, why not transfer the ELL LU staff to
the Silverlink stations that become LU's responsibility, and the former BR
staff to the new ELL franchise following a long period of gardening leave!!

I think at this point I shall stand to the side and let the HR and IR
people do what they need to do. To be fair this is a sensitive issue
for those involved so wild speculation is not helpful - none of us like
uncertainty about our jobs and pay & rations.
--
Paul C