Old January 3rd 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Train drivers

Do London Underground train drivers all drive on the same line or do they
swap lines?

Old January 3rd 07, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Do London Underground train drivers all drive on the same line or do they
swap lines?

Just the one line, as a rule (it's not as easy as you might think)

Old January 4th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Do London Underground train drivers all drive on the same line or do they
swap lines?

Just the one line, as a rule (it's not as easy as you might think)

Do you think the drivers all have a favourite line that they want to work
on?

I was on the Piccadilly N'bound at Finsbury Pk the other day, and the
Train Operator announced "this is a Distr..er..Piccadilly line train to
Cockfosters" - wonder if he's moved, or just confused :-)

Old January 4th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message om, Joe
Patrick writes
Do London Underground train drivers all drive on the same line or do they
swap lines?

Just the one line, as a rule (it's not as easy as you might think)

Do you think the drivers all have a favourite line that they want to work
on?

I was on the Piccadilly N'bound at Finsbury Pk the other day, and the
Train Operator announced "this is a Distr..er..Piccadilly line train to
Cockfosters" - wonder if he's moved, or just confused :-)

Drivers are allocated to one depot, so they drive the trains and work
the lines served by that depot. This usually involves only one line and
one type of stock only, but there are exceptions as Acton Town and Earls
Court District drivers are trained to drive both C and D stock (the C
stock is used on the Wimbledon - Edgware Road service).

We can apply to move depots at any time (although you can't move more
that once in 12 months) but will then have to be retrained on the stock
and the line operated out of that depot.

There are always drivers moving about under 'Traincrew Transfer
agreements' and it's probably one of those you heard who's just come
over.

Old January 4th 07, 01:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
that once in 12 months) but will then have to be retrained on the stock
and the line operated out of that depot.

How easy is it to move to a different train type? Is it like getting
into a new car, a few minutes familiarisation and finding where various
buttons are and you're off , or is it more complex than that?

B2003

Old January 4th 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In oups.com,
Boltar typed:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
that once in 12 months) but will then have to be retrained on the
stock and the line operated out of that depot.

How easy is it to move to a different train type? Is it like getting
into a new car, a few minutes familiarisation and finding where
various buttons are and you're off , or is it more complex than that?

I would imagine that learning the new route is more difficulr and
time-consuming than the physical aspects of driving a new type of train.

--
Bob

Old January 4th 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Jan 2007 06:59:59 -0800, "Boltar" wrote:

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
that once in 12 months) but will then have to be retrained on the stock
and the line operated out of that depot.

How easy is it to move to a different train type? Is it like getting
into a new car, a few minutes familiarisation and finding where various
buttons are and you're off , or is it more complex than that?

A guess on my part but stocks have different braking and acceleration
profiles relative to loadings, number of cars and line / track geometry.
Newer stocks are also much more complex with in car diagnostic systems
and different control set ups. Therefore moves between say the Met Line
and the Northern Line will involve a steep learning curve. Drivers have
to be trained to a high level of stock knowledge so that they can assist
in getting a defective or failed train out of the way or work with a
rolling stock technician who may be providing advice via radio from the
control room.

There is then the issue of route learning and understanding route
characteristics and signal positions etc. This all takes time as well.
There may also be line specific issues such as working over National
Rail infrastructure if you were on the Bakerloo or District Lines.

I'm sure our resident drivers will fill in the gaps in my "amateur"
reply.
--
Paul C

Old January 4th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:
[...]

What about drivers on the W&C line only two stops....

Old January 4th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

Drivers have to be trained to a high level of stock
knowledge so that they can assist in getting a defective or failed
train out of the way or work with a rolling stock technician who may
be providing advice via radio from the control room.

Which makes me wonder why the rolling stock technician can't operate the
controls to fix the train himself! Did they not think of that?