Old January 5th 07, 04:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Train drivers

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:36:02 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

Train Doctor

You can't possibly be telling me that's an official term...

Incidentally, I saw a member of staff clutching a Traffic Circular on
my way into work this evening - complete with full colour front cover.
Now, I don't see these things very often (3 in ~9 years when they've
been abandoned in trains) and it's a while since I've seen one, but I
do have to wonder how long this has been going on, and quite how much
it costs for something utterly unneccessary.

Old January 5th 07, 05:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Train Doctors are the ones that are based in the Line Control Rooms and
are same same grade as other Infraco Train Technicians.

You echo the view of many staff about the full colour pages of the
Traffic Circular - A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, there are 51 print runs a
year of at least 10,000 probably more.
Having said that the EWSA (Engineering Works and Safety Arrangements)
has had colour pages for ages and has a similar print run.

Old January 5th 07, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Jan 2007 22:33:45 -0800, "chunky munky"
wrote:

You echo the view of many staff about the full colour pages of the
Traffic Circular - A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, there are 51 print runs a
year of at least 10,000 probably more.

Jesus.

Sounds like LUL needs a Director of Reprographic Operations - I'm damn
sure I could save them more than my salary's worth
Old January 5th 07, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:33:07 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

A guess on my part but stocks have different braking and acceleration
profiles relative to loadings, number of cars and line / track geometry.
Newer stocks are also much more complex with in car diagnostic systems
and different control set ups. Therefore moves between say the Met Line
and the Northern Line will involve a steep learning curve. Drivers have
to be trained to a high level of stock knowledge so that they can assist
in getting a defective or failed train out of the way or work with a
rolling stock technician who may be providing advice via radio from the
control room.

There is then the issue of route learning and understanding route
characteristics and signal positions etc. This all takes time as well.
There may also be line specific issues such as working over National
Rail infrastructure if you were on the Bakerloo or District Lines.

I'm sure our resident drivers will fill in the gaps in my "amateur"
reply.

No, all seems pretty accurate to me.

Wanna job?

Oh have you got some going spare?
--
Paul C

Old January 5th 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James Farrar
writes

Train Doctor

You can't possibly be telling me that's an official term...

Oh no, but then the railway runs on TLAs and slang terms!

Incidentally, I saw a member of staff clutching a Traffic Circular on
my way into work this evening - complete with full colour front cover.
Now, I don't see these things very often (3 in ~9 years when they've
been abandoned in trains) and it's a while since I've seen one, but I
do have to wonder how long this has been going on, and quite how much
it costs for something utterly unneccessary.

You know, funny you should say that. The self same comment was made in
the mess room when they introduced them. They've been about for around
2 months now.

Old January 5th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I'm sure our resident drivers will fill in the gaps in my "amateur"
reply.

No, all seems pretty accurate to me.

Wanna job?

Oh have you got some going spare?

I'm told not but we seem awfully short of drivers.
Old January 6th 07, 12:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 23:29:45 +0000, Steve Fitzgerald ]
wrote:

In message , James Farrar
writes

Train Doctor

You can't possibly be telling me that's an official term...

Oh no, but then the railway runs on TLAs and slang terms!

This I know, but you never can tell when slang might become official!

Incidentally, I saw a member of staff clutching a Traffic Circular on
my way into work this evening - complete with full colour front cover.
Now, I don't see these things very often (3 in ~9 years when they've
been abandoned in trains) and it's a while since I've seen one, but I
do have to wonder how long this has been going on, and quite how much
it costs for something utterly unneccessary.

You know, funny you should say that. The self same comment was made in
the mess room when they introduced them. They've been about for around
2 months now.

And since colour printing tends to be an order of magnitude more
expensive than monochrome... *sigh*