Old March 6th 07, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink 2000 Power

If and when the Thameslink 2000 project takes place, are the plans to keep
the 3rd rail power supply south of the river and the overhead supply north
of the river or are there plans/aspirations to make the whole lot overhead
supply?
Philip

Old March 7th 07, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 7, 9:19 am, "Peter Lawrence" wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 00:37 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,
(Phil) wrote:

If and when the Thameslink 2000 project takes place, are the plans
to keep the 3rd rail power supply south of the river and the
overhead supply north of the river or are there plans/aspirations
to make the whole lot overhead supply?

Yes. :-)

I'm not aware of any plans to change the changeover point.

I believe the latest plan is to move the changeover to City
Thameslink. (originally it was Blackfriars)..

Whats the point?

B2003

Old March 7th 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Peter Lawrence) wrote:

I'm not aware of any plans to change the changeover point.

I believe the latest plan is to move the changeover to City
Thameslink. (originally it was Blackfriars)..

Farringdon, surely?

--
Paul Cummins
*FREE* mobile phone -

Old March 7th 07, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

I'm not aware of any plans to change the changeover point.

I believe the latest plan is to move the changeover to City
Thameslink. (originally it was Blackfriars)..

Whats the point?

The point is that if the panto gets stuck up or down, the train can't
proceed and will need to escape into the City Thameslink sidings rather than
get in the way of the other trains. Merely sending the train back might not
be an option when the other line is already carrying 24tph which have to fit
punctually between other services in South London. Farringdon will no longer
be suitable as a changeover point because there will be no escape route when
the platform extension forces closure of the Moorgate branch. I am not sure
why Blackfriars was ever considered as the changeover point, especially
since catenary would increase the visual intrusion of the bridge over the
Thames.

Old March 7th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 7, 12:20 pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Boltar wrote:

I'm not aware of any plans to change the changeover point.

I believe the latest plan is to move the changeover to City
Thameslink. (originally it was Blackfriars)..

Whats the point?

The point is that if the panto gets stuck up or down, the train can't
proceed and will need to escape into the City Thameslink sidings rather than
get in the way of the other trains.

Presumably they'll keep the 3rd rail into the sidings then. What about
at Farringdon , will it be lifted?

B2003

Old March 7th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm not aware of any plans to change the changeover point.

I believe the latest plan is to move the changeover to City
Thameslink. (originally it was Blackfriars)..

Farringdon, surely?

That was meant to be read that the original plan was to move the changeover
point to Blackfriars (from Farringdon), now it is planned to move it to City
Thameslink.

Old March 8th 07, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:20:15 -0000, John Rowland wrote:

I'm not aware of any plans to change the changeover point.

I believe the latest plan is to move the changeover to City
Thameslink. (originally it was Blackfriars)..

Whats the point?

The point is that if the panto gets stuck up or down, the train can't
proceed and will need to escape into the City Thameslink sidings rather than
get in the way of the other trains. Merely sending the train back might not
be an option when the other line is already carrying 24tph which have to fit
punctually between other services in South London.

We're talking about an occasional failure here. It's not going to have
to fit into the normal timetable.

I am not sure
why Blackfriars was ever considered as the changeover point, especially
since catenary would increase the visual intrusion of the bridge over the
Thames.

Perhaps because trains don't normally stop at City Thameslink on
Sundays, Saturday evenings, and during the night. If the changeover is
there, they'll all have to stop there all the time.
Old March 9th 07, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message
I'm not aware of any plans to change the changeover point.

I believe the latest plan is to move the changeover to City
Thameslink. (originally it was Blackfriars)..

Farringdon, surely?

That was meant to be read that the original plan was to move the
changeover point to Blackfriars (from Farringdon), now it is planned to
move it to City Thameslink.

I thought the plan was to increase their options by enabling changeover at
City Thameslink - but not to actually change the point at which it usually
happens.

Sadly I can't give you any interesting reading material to back that up
since I can't remember where I read it... ;-(