London Banter

-   -   North London Line Revisited (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/5097-north-london-line-revisited.html)

David of Broadway March 18th 07 06:12 PM

North London Line Revisited

MIG wrote:

I bet you are looking forward to Oyster being introduced on FCC/One in
Greater London, so that you'll have to get off to touch in/out and
wait half an hour for the next train every journey or else pay more
for the bit where you could do it on Oyster (probably at an
excessively hiked rate to discourage non-Oyster use in Greater London
etc).

Put a few Oyster pads on the train.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

David of Broadway March 18th 07 06:16 PM

North London Line Revisited

MIG wrote:

I have got an Oyster card. My problem is that I can't use it for all
the journeys I make for a number of reasons and nor do I have the
typical options (eg when passing my local station ticket office) for
putting credit on it.

Understood. I was somewhat frustrated when I discovered that daily
capping was useless if I was riding NR. And the day I went to Hampton
Court, I was a bit surprised to find that a ODTC was my best bet.

But, even if Oyster isn't /always/ the best payment mode, it /often/ is.
Since it effectively costs nothing to have one, why not keep one in
your wallet just in case?

There simply isn't any justification for imposing penalty fares to
coerce people into using a system that isn't fully available.

On the systems that accept it, how is it not fully available?

It isn't fully integrated with NR yet, and that's a shame. But it's
fully available on all TfL services, no?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

David of Broadway March 18th 07 06:18 PM

North London Line Revisited

wrote:
I visited New York City a while ago, and I thought that you could buy a
single fare for $2, albeit in the form of a magnetic strip.

That was a SingleRide card. It's essentially a paper MetroCard with a
two-hour time limit and no intermodal transfers.

BTW, what are they doing over there in terms of introducing a SmartCard for
longer lengths of time? Those flimsy MetroCards with their magnetic strips
are so out of fashion.

We're working on it! A pilot program was recently completed on the
Lexington Avenue line.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Colin Rosenstiel March 18th 07 06:40 PM

North London Line Revisited

In article .com,
() wrote:

On 18 Mar, 15:27, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
What did they do when they still had the old Broad
Street-Richmond stock?

Dalston Kingsland and all stations east to Stratford were built in
1985 when Broad Street closed.

Indeed so but the old stock continued in use for a bit before the 313s
were introduced, did it not?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams March 18th 07 07:21 PM

North London Line Revisited

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:08:48 -0400, David of Broadway
wrote:

Singapore is the EZ Pass and I have one in my wallet.

Interesting. The automated toll collection system that started in the
New York area and has spread across the Northeast (U.S.) and beyond is
called E-ZPass.

EZ-Link, I'm fairly sure, is the Singaporean variety.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] March 18th 07 08:38 PM

On 18 Mar, 19:40, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
Indeed so but the old stock continued in use for a bit before the 313s
were introduced, did it not?

But they were Class 501s, which are 3 car units.

Colin Rosenstiel March 18th 07 09:00 PM

North London Line Revisited

In article ,
(David of Broadway) wrote:

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
David of Broadway wrote

Prepared for what? I had no trouble obtaining an Oyster card at
Heathrow. And I can't understand why anyone who lives in the
London area or ever visits the London area wouldn't have an Oyster
card.

Me me me (I live near but outside the zones on a NR line).

And for me a paper one day travel card was better value and now I
have a railcard, even better value.

I will admit that I have never been able to figure out ticketing
outside the zones.

A paper ODTC is great if you'll be doing a lot of traveling once in
London, but what if you'll only be taking one or two trips?

That's why I now have an Oyster card. When I started working in London in
late 2001, the extra over a cheap day return with Network Card discount
for an ODTC was 60p. It's now £3.30 more, so for two zone 1 tube journeys
the Oyster is cheaper. So much for integrated ticketing!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jack Taylor March 18th 07 09:25 PM

wrote:
On 18 Mar, 19:40, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
Indeed so but the old stock continued in use for a bit before the
313s were introduced, did it not?

But they were Class 501s, which are 3 car units.

As are the 313s, so I don't exactly see your point. However, whilst the
Euston - Watford services were exclusively the preserve of the three-car
501s, before handing over to three-car 313s, the North Woolwich services
spent some time in the hands of two-car Southern Region class 416 2-EPBs,
post-501 and pre-313.

Colin Rosenstiel March 18th 07 10:18 PM

North London Line Revisited

In article . com,
() wrote:

On 18 Mar, 19:40, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
Indeed so but the old stock continued in use for a bit before the
313s were introduced, did it not?

But they were Class 501s, which are 3 car units.

Oh, of course. I was thinking of the similar Southern units.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Michael R N Dolbear March 18th 07 10:36 PM

North London Line Revisited

David of Broadway wrote

Me me me (I live near but outside the zones on a NR line).

And for me a paper one day travel card was better value and now I

have
a railcard, even better value.

I will admit that I have never been able to figure out ticketing

outside
the zones.

A paper ODTC is great if you'll be doing a lot of traveling once in
London, but what if you'll only be taking one or two trips?

For me just one tube round trip in zone one breaks even, so in fact my
local station no longer offers a combined train+tube Day Return off
peak.

Rail only Cheap Day Return 6.30 GBP, Combined Rail-ODTC 9.30 GBP

If you fit one of the Railcard categories 1/3 off so
CDR 4.20 Rail-ODTC 6.20

If I also take a bus or visit zone 2 (my favorite second hand book
place, Fantasy Centre, 157 Holloway Road) I am even better off compared
with the Oyster Z12 cap of 4.60

--
Mike D