Old March 30th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default Croxley Rail Link Petition

On Mar 30, 9:04 pm, "Adrian" wrote:

it will save many trips to Euston by way of Euston Square. :-)

If that is the priority, new exits at the far eastern end of Euston
Square with steps/escalators inclined towards Euston would be a far
more cost effective solution.

--
Nick

Old March 30th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message

Sounds like a good idea to me, if it gives a link to the WCML northbound
from places like Harrow,

Harrow and Wealdstone to Euston or Watford Junction ?

Nowhere near Harrow.

Etc.

Is it just a co-incidence that this "oh my god, hands up in horror, what's
the point, nothing can be done and even if it could it wouldn't work so why
try" thread appears at the same time as "Airdrie to Bathgate re-opening".

Regards

Jonathan

Old March 30th 07, 09:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 30 Mar, 21:04, "Adrian" wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:06 am, "THC" wrote:

Jack, tryhttp://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Croxleylink/

Kev, I'm sure you're aware that TfL have already committed funding to
this project - £18m if memory serves me - as part of their five-year
investment programme. This project would provide excellent network
benefits and open up the commercial centre of Watford to rail access
from large parts of north-west London and south Bucks. It suffers for
falling between the gaps in public sector responsibility but is backed
locally, regionally and in the Government Office for the region.
Someone at DfT needs to have their arse kicked, I think,
metaphorically speaking of course. I for one hope this project gets
the go-ahead.

THC

My "signature" is on the pettition. I sincerely hope this happens.
It will give Metroland residents a direct link to the WCML. I am sure
it will save many trips to Euston by way of Euston Square. :-)

Ah, but as people will find out at a briefing on Tuesday, from
December 2008 VWC will see a serious reduction in calls at Watford
Junction. So will the link be needed for that particular purpose.
(just a note again here - DfT Rail basically decides on the calling
pattern for franchises and wants to push people from Watford onto the
new West Midlands franchise semi-fast trains that will serve Watford
Jn every hour - before the usual anti-Virgin flames ignite again).
However I am personally in favour of restoring the Croxley Rail Link
and will sign the petition - even as a Manchester resident!

Tony

Old March 30th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Mar 30, 2:23 pm, "D7666" wrote:
On Mar 30, 9:44 pm, wrote:

I don't think that that is the priority.

I agree - I am sure it is not, it just appeared it was the previous
commentators' priority.

--
Nick

On the contrary, it was precisely my point. Currently any resident of
Metroland wanting to use what BR termed "InterCity" services from
Euston had to make his or her way to that terminus. This link will
make the WCML directly accessible at Watford Junction.

Adrian

Old March 30th 07, 09:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

wrote:

However I am personally in favour of restoring the Croxley Rail Link

^^^^^^^

When was it ever there?

Old March 31st 07, 12:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 wrote:

On 30 Mar, 21:04, "Adrian" wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:06 am, "THC" wrote:

[...]

Is it not possible that when the link opens, and this sort of journey
becomes possible, they'll change their minds and get more intercities to
stop?

just a note again here - DfT Rail basically decides on the calling
pattern for franchises and wants to push people from Watford onto the
new West Midlands franchise semi-fast trains that will serve Watford Jn
every hour

O_o

This is for Watford - London trips? Aren't most of those set-down only
already?

tom

--
YUO CANNOT ESCAPE OR EVAR WIN!!!!!!!!
Old March 31st 07, 01:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On 31 Mar, 13:38, Tom Anderson wrote:
This is for Watford - London trips? Aren't most of those set-down only
already?

Only for Virgin. The semi-fasts (Silverlink County/West Midlands) and
local (Silverlink Metro/London Overground) are meant for journeys to
London (journey times are 15/25/50 minutes respectively).

Old April 1st 07, 03:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

Ah, but as people will find out at a briefing on Tuesday, from
December 2008 VWC will see a serious reduction in calls at Watford
Junction. So will the link be needed for that particular purpose.
(just a note again here - DfT Rail basically decides on the calling
pattern for franchises and wants to push people from Watford onto the
new West Midlands franchise semi-fast trains that will serve Watford
Jn every hour - before the usual anti-Virgin flames ignite again).
However I am personally in favour of restoring the Croxley Rail Link
and will sign the petition - even as a Manchester resident!

Tony

What briefing is this? Is it open to the public?

Burkey

Old April 1st 07, 05:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30 Mar 2007 12:13:55 -0700, "D7666" wrote:

On Mar 30, 7:47 pm, "Mr Thant"
wrote:
No, but as you mentioned, only a fraction of the old network exists
(or at least, is available to LO services), so it's not really
relevant to current and future service provision.

I'm sorry, but I agree with the earlier comment that you seem to know
6ugger all about it - or at least not about the history of it - since
the majority of the old network DOES exist.

The only bits that do not exist today are Broad Street itself from
Dalston Junction, and the short electrified sections to Kensington and
Earls Court, and the Rickmansworth bit.

I suggest that the Kensington section still exists! Other
non-existent bits are the direct kink from Bushey to the branches and
(as an electrified passenger line) the Kew Bridge branch.

The rest - Euston to Watford and Richmond - Dalston (junction) remain
- by far the greatest mileage, the core routes of the old network, and
the core routes of Silverlink metro today.

--
Nick

--
Peter Lawrence